KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I said 4.30 just cause I’m a fanboy of deep gears vs these higher gears that the manufactures are doing with these 10-spds.

But I did not qualify it.

I think these pickups look great with stock height and 33’s. With the Ford 10-spd you plan to install... ;Poke

4.30 gears, 33” tires, at 75mph = 2069 RPM (triple OD)
2200 (double OD)

Towing: 65 mph
1900 RPM (double OD)
2400 (single OD)

Crawl ratio (getting a load moving)
4.30 gears (20.167:1)
3.73 gears (17.4937:1)

So not much different. I’d say 32’s and your 3.73’s would be lovely too!!

Up here in the mtns, the difference between 3.73’s and 4.10’s is noticeable enough with my gutless TBI that I wish for 4.10’s all the time. My old burb had 4.10’s otherwise the same rig.

My wife’s old 2007 Yukon Denali (6.2LS, 6l80, 3.42’s) we pulled smaller loads quite a bit in that and I loved running 5th (.85) at 70-72 and the hills would drop to 4th (1.15) no direct 1:1 and it’s scoot right up the hill.

I’m excited for your pioneering efforts :cheers:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAConversions.com

They sell the entire Allsion swap kit for your idi.
Oh yeah. Bring your paycheck, plus a few more.
Not seeing a 10 speed Allison on their website, only 5s and 6s.

Would they be able to do a 10 speed of some kind? Or is that more complex to control?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinkin, maybe a 7 speed Allison, like from a medium duty truck, 3000 series, with a body lift for trans tunnel clearance, and ultimate durability. They can be run with a standalone TCM, just need a TPS for input from the engine IIRC

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most heavy duty application Allison's I see are 6 speeds, most school busses are 5, just to toss that out there.
5s and 6s are definitely more common, but double overdrive 7s are out there.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should start our own line of underground fuel stations named “Hillbillies” after Jed and his black gold......

Sell cleaned/used motor oil cut for the region/season and have them listed similar to the Green Book so we can still afford to travel.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor is ticking, lifter maybe? Need to do oil change. Tick, could also be exhaust leak, or maybe injector? Idk but heres two videos.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well…

Was gonna get the oil changed Thursday afternoon, but wound up doin that to a tracked skid loader instead… and replacing a hydraulic hose, and untwisting a trailer that got caught in a tornado. By then it was real late an I just go home

Then today, go to the shop about noon, and Dad and the service manager are trying to get the chain gearbox offa 623G CAT scraper. So I helped with that, no room in the shop anyhow. Now, am at lunch. Hopefully I can get er done later today.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to wish anything bad on you, but one of the easiest oil changes that I've done on one of my IDI powered trucks was when there was snow on the ground. I laid down on a plastic kid's sled and that was the easiest time that I ever had sliding underneath the truck and back out again.
I could see that. Might be better than gravel. I’m incredibly spoiled, I change oil at my dad’s big shop in town, have most everything but a lift… wish we had one… and I have a shed I park my trucks in at night. I… am just spoiled. Not really any way around that. Don’t wanna sound like I’m bragging…

I’ve done plenty of oil changes in the field and such, but, I get to work on stuff in a nice warm shop all too often.

My shed isn’t insulated, but it keeps the snow wind rain ice etc out! I’d like to insulate it at some point, aways off from that yet…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor is ticking, lifter maybe? Need to do oil change. Tick, could also be exhaust leak, or maybe injector? Idk but heres two videos.

Bump on this. Changed oil still ticking. Doesn’t always do it, never does it cold

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online