KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, pull the steering wheel and inspect the contact points on the back of the wheel and in the top of the column.

I accidentally fixed the cruise in my 83 when I swapped in a bricknose steering wheel.
I haven’t yet, will do though. Thanks for the suggestion

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the reliability side of things I bought my truck with 255k and a rebuilt transmission. Bought early 2019 I believe and the motor let go early spring of 2021(pretty sure)..I’m also pretty sure it was the turbo seal and sucked all my oil out.seized up on the way to work and I should have just turned it off and towed it home..but I floored it home upset that I was late and it cost me about $3500 or so..

I thought it was going to be a 500k motor! Change my GP’s and oil and filters but it just didn’t make it. So that’s why ive been skeptical of it now that I have another motor. Perhaps if I bought a rebuild I’d be happy and not think about it.

I now have a 7.3idit motor just sitting around and no idea what it costs to rebuild it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I check mine before I go on any major trip, which is mostly when I use my truck.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked it that morning. It had sat for a few weeks and I went to take it to meet a client. Topped it off and heard what I thought was a slight knocking but wasn’t sure if i was hearing things.. took off in the morning heard a weird squealing noise and next thing it was loosing power blowing black smoke and seized up and then fired up later that night but sounded like hell

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you're making sense!:Thumbs Up

It is.

With the mods that you listed, reliability shouldn't be that much of an issue.
I guess good bulletproofing should make it a non issue, for the engine… maybe go to 05+ axles… aaand I don’t think a stock ZF5 would hold up to that… at least not the way I drive lol.

Maybe go with an Allison automatic, I’d appreciate suggestions on what tranny would work good, and stay in one piece.

ZF6?

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall there was once a guy who built a heavily modified 6.6l duramax and he burned up multiple built Allison’s..so I think they swapped in a 48re from a dodge. Of course heavily modified as well.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how true this is but I have heard that the guys who are drag racing with Cummins are going built 4r100.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guys who are drag racing with Cummins are going built 4r100.
I can see that. The 4R100 is a modified E4OD...and both of those units are a C-6 design with an overdrive in the front.

Big, beautiful units....when you have the computer strategy calibrated for strictly durability and not comfort you have a good, strong unit.

I would run one if I didn't like my clutch pedal so much...

I would go through it from A to Z and put every modification in it that was imaginable...

The main thing with getting an automatic to not burn up with heavy-duty use is to get all of the cooling of the fluid you can muster...heat is what will kill an automatic unit.

Gotta get that heat out...the torque convertor is constantly generating it...

If you ever get a chance...look at the size of the cooler lines Dodge put on a 48RE...

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought your dodge was a V10...?

Any rate, since we are spending your money. And you are pioneering things I say........

Newer Ford axles with 4.30 gears and an e-locker.

Try to adapt a 8-10 spd auto and see how it brings the IDI into current times.

Definitely a VGT turbo!

We are all behind you!!!

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought your dodge was a V10...?

Any rate, since we are spending your money. And you are pioneering things I say........

Newer Ford axles with 4.30 gears and an e-locker.

Try to adapt a 8-10 spd auto and see how it brings the IDI into current times.

Definitely a VGT turbo!

We are all behind you!!!
My Dodge is a V10, but @94turbocrewcab-lb has a similar era Dodge with a Cummins

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.30 seems a little deep to me, keep in mind I am mostly highway miles, with little or no load. 3.73 would probably be a good medium.

Would be cool to figure out how to get a newer automatic to work with an IDI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online