KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still stuck on the 23-25....how did you manage that? Mind telling us your secrets, or your driving scenarios/conditions that would result in such great numbers?

I get 17 locally in my van and I think I have near perfect conditions. Man I need to get off my rear and time mine though.

Are you keeping the 6.9 or selling, or rebuilding.....

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
23-25 is absolutely phenomenal! My rig gets 13-14 driving relatively fast with big tires and 3.55 gears. I hate the mileage and love the pickup. I've never averaged better than 16. I do live in a hilly area.

The 6.9's seem to get better MPG's than the 7.3's. Hopefully it comes up and up for you. I posted in the "So, what did you do to your truck today?" thread-- if you are seating rings that'll affect the MPG's for a while.

And yes timing can affect MPGs a lot. But sometimes, not so much, like in my engine. I dunno what the heck is up with mine but she can be 6* either way and still get about the same MPG. That's no exaggeration, I have a meter!

That said, get a meter, they are worth it. Plus then you can help others that need timing. I sold some N/A stuff to a nice man that was just getting into these engines. Ended up timing it just to be kind and he was blown away with how much better that thing ran. Power, MPGs, sound, drivability...he loved every minute of it.

That also reminds me that if your timing is quite retarded, that will help it cold start a lot. I once had 0* timing and my stock engine could cold start without glow plugs at 60* ambient. Which is bonkers for anybody not named KansasIDI LOL
But then I timed it correctly and it needed glow plugs.
It’s still bonkers to me how good it starts. So maybe my timing is too retarded. Wouldn’t that make it smoke?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still stuck on the 23-25....how did you manage that? Mind telling us your secrets, or your driving scenarios/conditions that would result in such great numbers?

I get 17 locally in my van and I think I have near perfect conditions. Man I need to get off my rear and time mine though.

Are you keeping the 6.9 or selling, or rebuilding.....
Secrets? Well idk but it was gutless. The metal fuel line that goes under the engine was pinched, and for the longest time it kept clogging filters. And the IP was dying. So, bad flow due to bad parts. Things were really just worn down. And it was slow. So slow. Now, with a 7.3, turbo, slow ain’t the word…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m keeping the 6.9, it’s in pieces, may rebuild it someday. Although honestly, I’ll probably never do anything with it. I’d like to think that I will…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove it to Manhattan, around, and back.

Was over at a buddy’s shop up there, got the boost gauge and pyrometer working. Then flogged it down the road. Boost was 14 psi, and EGTs… were too damn high. Weird for a motor that doesn’t smoke much. Touched 1200… foot to the floor, at 90 mph… seems to be that the EGTs get up there at higher RPMs. Cruising at 65, EGTs are 700, at 80, 850 degrees. Just… too high… no wonder it seems so responsive, heated up all the time. I think I’ll get an intercooler sooner than I had originally planned to… will be fine for now… but needs to happen.

Oil pressure gauge hasn’t worked since the engine swap, are there differences between the 6.9 and 7.3 senders? Do I need to take the one from my 6.9? The 7.3 one worked in the truck I took it out of, just doesn’t work in my 86… have messed around with it some, I don’t know what the deal is…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cruise ain’t working either, don’t know what to do about that either.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@KansasIDI just remember that because your exhaust is clear doesn't mean you'll avoid high egt's. My truck only smokes right befor the tubro spools, then clears out. Under max boost and WOT, I see no smoke, but can easily hit 1200F under enough load.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your best solution.

Yes and yes.

Screw a 2x4 to the bottom of the accelerator pedal? Maybe a 1x4?
I’ll get those oil pressure senders switched out today, thanks

Would like to get the cruise working with the buttons, maybe speed sensor? Mine looks kinda messed up…

Also gonna do passenger side window seals… not fun but oh well. Needs to get taken care of.

Proverbs Chapter 15

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll get those oil pressure senders switched out today, thanks

Would like to get the cruise working with the buttons, maybe speed sensor? Mine looks kinda messed up…

Also gonna do passenger side window seals… not fun but oh well. Needs to get taken care of.

Proverbs Chapter 15
Will deal with cruise control a different day, gonna start on the window seals here pretty soon…

The 6.9 oil pressure sender isn’t going to fit, will have to get a 45* elbow to make it work. Hardware store closed about an hour ago, so that’ll have to happen later.

Trying to find Ford OEM west coast mirrors, like from an F600, the junior west coast aftermarket mirrors I have are not the best quality… and they rattle really bad. Barely strong enough for the CB antennas… and I want to add lollipop lights… more weight…

Have started a CAD drawing for the headache rack, but I guess the image is a non supported format to be posted here? Oh well, y’all will see it when it’s real. I’m gonna incorporate bed rails into it.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the brake proportioning valves adjustable? The rears are super aggressive, while the fronts don’t seem to do much…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picture I took and picture my buddy took, of getting him a PSD parts truck. You can see his bricknose 460 behind the trailer in the first pic. It did a driveshaft delete about 100 miles later…

Attachments

• IMG_2826.jpeg
    IMG_2826.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231021_105330.jpeg
    20231021_105330.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 14

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the speed sensor, and fixed the rear brakes after I drove home with the parking brake on last night...

Rear brakes work again, cruise control still doesn't...

Need to get an intercooler ordered...

Been thinking on how I want to do the next engine. Might not be for this truck, kinda want to expand the fleet, maybe buy another IDI this summer, or just build another engine for this truck.

7.3 IDIT long block, CDD headgaskets, ARP studs, decompression plugs, upgraded valve springs, paint it silver. 100 CC Moose pump, R&D Stage 1 injectors, R&D return rails, and would like to figure out how to put a VGT on... Hypermax platform uses a T4 flange, which IIRC a HE351VE from a Cummins uses this same flange... don't know how a feller would go about controlling the vanes... seen a couple examples of this turbo on an IDI, was mounted to the side of the engine however... of course this will HAVE to be intercooled... CDD coolant overflow reservoir, makes for more room.

If the 6.0 intake filter works, then I'll probably want to do it again, on the meaner engine.

Might be cheaper to do a Cummins swap at that point, Fummins seems like a good option. But, it'd need money to soup up too... and I feel like a hopped up IDI is just more unique... however, I'm afraid reliability may become an issue with an IDI that mean, seems like Cummins hold up to it better, and I am VERY biased towards Cummins engines...

Banks IDASH looks pretty cool, would have to add sensors, but would be sweet to have that on an IDI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online