7.3L IDI low boost

Alan Draper

Reaction score
1992 F350 with the Banks Sidewinder turbo kit intermittent low boost:
Truck has 54K miles so not worn out. Was stored for a few years indoors so changed the fuel filter and bled system before starting for the first time. Initially max boost 3-4psi and EGTs 400 max.
I replaced the entire exhaust system since the crossover pipe was rusted out. The wastegate was rusted shut so installed a complete new turbo that came with the truck and initial test drive once up to temp I got 10psi boost and over 800 EGT's. RAN GREAT.
Next day I went to drive it and the low power condition was back. Here is what I have done:
Fuel shutoff solenoid, high idle solenoid and fuel advance solenoids all function properly and drop out when warm as they should (not shut off sol)
Lift pump holds a steady 3psi.
New K&N air filter
Fresh fuel
Removed IP cover and all is clean in the bowl.
Truck starts right away on cold start, no rough idle.
IP timing unknown as this was the test mule for GBE to develop the kit back in '92.
With all this in mind remember, initial drive with new turbo had 10psi boost so that eliminates any problem with fuel lines, fuel tank, filter etc.
It HAS to be a fuel delivery problem, any thoughts??

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have the same problem, with a new turbo, I'm guessing ip or fuel pump. I like my holley red, with a 38 gallon tank and a sump.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waste gate
Timing ( doubt that)
Dickin with stuff under cover
3 psi being the MINIMUM required
Weasels
BTW why are ya in the stroke forum?