Doomsday Dually Project

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pop-tested my last set twice from him over the 5+ years I've had them. All are still within 50psi!

I’m curious, where did you get your pop tester from and what fluid do you use for it?

I see some pretty cheap ones on Amazon but I’m hesistant to pull the trigger on one

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying a piston-only chinesium porta-power and adapted an old injector hardline to screw into the end of it's flex line. I popped with hydraulic fluid, AFAIK. Since that's what it's designed for and a diesel can run on it just fine... I remember deliberating about it quite a bit and in the end decided that it wasn't going to be much fluid, and after reading others have burned it in IDI's I went for it. :thumbsup: Pretty much one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

What I SHOULD have done is buy a complete kit with said chinesium jack and then I'd have it when I need one! :joker: I could have used one a few times over the years...
And with the adapter nothing gets permanently modified to make it that single-use-only item in the garage.

That said the cheap amazon pop-testers should do the job. If they were around when I got my stuff I'd have just done that.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a pop tester for my Mercedes, but I haven't built an adapter for the IDI injectors yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even checked to see that they're different, and need an adapter!

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I talked to Justin at R&D about my issue with the injectors, he was real cool about it. He said once in awhile there are some that are finicky and told me to send them back to him and he’ll fix them up.

Shipped them over and he fixed them right away. He said he had to replace the nozzle on one and clean up another one.

Hopefully no issues when I get them back. Crossing my fingers

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am breathing a sigh of relief. Got the injectors back today from Justin, installed them after work and the truck is running great now.

I have some small kinks to work out, the boost gauge isn’t working, even though I’m certain I’m producing boost.

Took it for a good hour long test ride and everything performed well. EGTs never got past 600 even when stepping on it up hills. Stopped at a decent dive bar and had a celebratory beer.

Thanks for the help oil burners, I will give my wallet a little break before I dive into the 4x4 conversion and additional doomsday truck frills.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With EGT's below 600, you may not be making any boost. Turbo's function as much from thermodynamics as actual air flow. Definitely check into it.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With EGT's below 600, you may not be making any boost. Turbo's function as much from thermodynamics as actual air flow. Definitely check into it.

Good point, I will start by testing the transducer with my air compressor to verify whether or not it’s working.

If it is working then I may try messing with the waste gate to see if that’s the problem.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the boost gauge works then I would be thinking more at it being under fueled.

If it has enough fuel and the waste gate was dumping, it should be hot and smokey.

James

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the boost gauge works then I would be thinking more at it being under fueled.

If it has enough fuel and the waste gate was dumping, it should be hot and smokey.

James

It’s a 110cc pump and it’s not smoking. So my guess is that it’s an issue with the gauge.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSA, fuel block off plate is NOT a good spot for your crank case venting LOL. My catch can was nearly full after my ride last night.

Catches wayyy to much oil dripping down the engine.

I really don’t have hardly any blow by off this rebuild, used the factory style rings from Mahle. Total seal would’ve been a better choice.

But I will be welding a bung on the timing plate cover instead like I’ve seen other people do. Should suck up less oil that way. And maybe I will use this port at the fuel pump block off to drain the oil out of my catch can

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a 110cc pump and it’s not smoking. So my guess is that it’s an issue with the gauge.
Hopefully the gauge is just on the fritz, otherwise for some reason I don't think you're getting enough fuel to light the turbo.

James

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the gauge is just on the fritz, otherwise for some reason I don't think you're getting enough fuel to light the turbo.

James

Ehhh unfortunately it looks like the gauge is working fine. I hooked my air compressor up to the sensor with 20psi on it and it was reading fine.

Judging by the lack of black sooty smoke when I’m hitting the gas hard, you’re probably right.

Sucks that it’s a fresh rebuilt 110cc pump from CDD.

Another odd thing with this pump, is that I had to max out the advance on the pump to get the timing close. I’m still at 7 degrees BTDC at 2k rpm when spec is supposed to be 8.5 … and I thought normally if you can’t advance the pump enough, that’s a sign of a worn out pump.

Man I’d really hate to tear this pump out and send it back for them to take a look at it.

The only other thing I’d suspect is maybe the exhaust is restricted. I’m still running the stock 2.5” exhaust and muffler after the 3” down pipe I installed.