ZF5 swap questions

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check the balancer and according to the ford document I have it looks like the turbo balancer because of the relation of the timing mark to the “cross”

So what is the best ways to free one of these engines up from sitting? Mine does not want to turn by hand. It has been sitting for at least three years now. I saw it turn over before I bought it but that was at least three years ago. It has been sitting in my non climate controlled garage since. I pulled all of the glow plugs out and sprayed deep creep penetrating oil down the holes. What do you all suggest? The engine is currently sitting in a few tires with no flexplate on the back.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple more pictures of the flexplate. The part number on it says it is a turbo one too.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They say that there are notes that the block has been drilled out for oil passages.
Judging by this, it sounds to me like this is originally a N/A block. That's why the oil passage was drilled out. That says nothing about the internals, though.
So what is the best ways to free one of these engines up from sitting? Mine does not want to turn by hand. It has been sitting for at least three years now. I saw it turn over before I bought it but that was at least three years ago. It has been sitting in my non climate controlled garage since. I pulled all of the glow plugs out and sprayed deep creep penetrating oil down the holes. What do you all suggest?
That sounds like a good start to me. I don't know of anything else to try without taking the heads off.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off....photobucket is almost unusable. What are you all doing to post pics?

This is a pic of the block stamp on the engine in my truck (engine with problems)

Here is a pic of the flywheel with a number on the ring gear, but part of it is welded over.

Here is one side of the flexplate....I'll try to get the other pics to upload. More to come

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the balancer on my doner engine. According to what I have seen online this looks like the turbo balancer. Can someone please confirm?

This is just a pic showing the bracket on the doner engine for the hydraulic pump. It will be posted in the f/s section.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the tag on my doner engine over top of where the factory block stamp is.

Here is a tag the rebuilder put on my engine. It's noted as a 7.3T

Here is the other side of the flexplate off of the doner engine

I pulled the valve covers to see if anything looked out of place and I did not see anything obvious.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your flexplate is a turbo one, numbers match the one I posted pic of. That sure is one dirty engine on the outside, what is it covered with?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your flexplate is a turbo one, numbers match the one I posted pic of. That sure is one dirty engine on the outside, what is it covered with?

Oil and grease it seems. The one in my truck look fairly similar. I just thought they all looked like this. I was going to clean it up some before I put it in. But I need to make sure it is not seized now. I need some good tips on breaking it free. I thought about putting the flex plate back on and installing the starter and hooking up one battery...not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil and grease it seems. The one in my truck look fairly similar. I just thought they all looked like this. I was going to clean it up some before I put it in. But I need to make sure it is not seized now. I need some good tips on breaking it free. I thought about putting the flex plate back on and installing the starter and hooking up one battery...not sure if that is a good idea or not.
I would not do that try using the starter. If anything put the flywheel on and put a bolt in one of the bellhousing bolt holes and use that as a point to try and work the flywheel back and forth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is indeed turbo balancer/flexplate, as mentioned before that doesnt mean that the turbo rods and pistons are still in that engine, and it really isnt something to get too worried about in the long run. I currently have a na flywheel behind the built IDIT in the shop truck with no noticeable vibration/harmonic issues even with running 4-4500 rpms.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not do that try using the starter. If anything put the flywheel on and put a bolt in one of the bellhousing bolt holes and use that as a point to try and work the flywheel back and forth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Yeah I talked to a friend of mine who was a diesel mechanic. He is also thinking I should be able to break it free by hand. He recommend that I use more penetrating oil down the gp holes than what I have already done, and then let it sit for a few days.

That is indeed turbo balancer/flexplate, as mentioned before that doesnt mean that the turbo rods and pistons are still in that engine, and it really isnt something to get too worried about in the long run. I currently have a na flywheel behind the built IDIT in the shop truck with no noticeable vibration/harmonic issues even with running 4-4500 rpms.

I hear you, I just need to order new parts since I want to convert to 5 speed so I want to get the "rightest" parts possible:)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off....photobucket is almost unusable. What are you all doing to post pics?

When they said they were going to start charging for picture hosting, I took all my pictures off photobucket and put them on my computer, and then uploaded them to flicker, which is part of yahoo. I already had a yahoo account and they are free so far. I see even when you pay they plaster their logo all over your picture.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The bad engine is a Factory Turbo block for sure. I HATE it when a rebuilder removes the factory serial number. It make it hard to know exactly what you have.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m starting to wonder out my doner engine. I can still not turn it by hand. Glow plugs are out. It has been soaking with penetrating oil for days now.

I am taking delivery of my zf5 parts truck this evening. It has a running 7.3 in it, but it’s not the turbo model, so I am starting to wonder about my options as to what engine or combo of parts should I use to get my truck back on the road. I want to maintain it as a turbo truck no matter what. I used to have an na 7.3 and don’t want to go back to that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unfortunately, to go farther on your stuck engine, it may be time to pull the heads. Now you can easily use the N/A engine in your parts truck with the Factory Turbo set up on it. You won't have any issues unless you start cranking up the boost. Leave the head bolts in place and just run it. The only thing that you'll have different is the oil port on the back of the block that feeds the oil to the turbo. It will be 1/8" NPT instead of the 1/4" NPT that the factory engine uses. Most (if not all) of the aftermarket turbos are fed oil from a 1/8" port so you won't have oiling issues at all. Just get an adapter that's 1/8" male X 1/4" female and install it underneath the piece that screws directly into the block on the Factory Turbo engine.