ZF5 swap questions

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looks like Luk offers several different SMF clutch options. According to rockauto there is one that is listed for aftermarket turbos, there is another one that is listed as a kit for a factory turbo truck, and then there is one that is listed as a 12" upgrade. Which one are you all going with?
07230 is the one you want(flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing).
07225 is for N/A blocks(It's the block, not whether it has a turbo on it that matters. MAKE SURE to check the model/serial on the block on the driver's side next to the IP gear cover. If it
is 7.3D... you want 07225. If it's 7.3TU2U..., you want 07230. DO NOT ASSUME IT IS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE.).

The balance is a bit different I guess. I've got a 07225 on my IDIT block, and I suppose it might be a little rougher than normal... I'll swap it out with the proper flywheel when I get time and money to tear into it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the block, not whether it has a turbo on it that matters.

For clarity, you do mean the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, therefore balance) that's in the block is what matters, not the actual block? :cool: I thought all the blocks (6.9, 7.3, 7.3 turbo) were the same externally.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For clarity, you do mean the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons, therefore balance) that's in the block is what matters, not the actual block? :cool: I thought all the blocks (6.9, 7.3, 7.3 turbo) were the same externally.
Yeah, basically. The external mounting points are definitely the same. Internally, things do change based on years - some 6.9 blocks use press-in oil squirters, for example.

And some IDIT blocks that got rebuilt at various shops ended up with N/A rods/pistons in them... I'm not sure on what you'd balance those with.

It's also much harder to check the internal bits, but checking the serial number(or whatever it's been replaced with if it was rebuilt) is kind of the best you can do.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
And some IDIT blocks that got rebuilt at various shops ended up with N/A rods/pistons in them... I'm not sure on what you'd balance those with.

It's also much harder to check the internal bits, but checking the serial number(or whatever it's been replaced with if it was rebuilt) is kind of the best you can do.

The flywheel is matched to the rotating assembly. The extra weight in the pistons, rods, and wrist pins (because they are bushed and floating) is what the different balance comes from.

I would probably pop the oil pan off to see what I'm dealing with, if I had doubts... or had to order a fancy flywheel.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07230 is the one you want(flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing).
07225 is for N/A blocks(It's the block, not whether it has a turbo on it that matters. MAKE SURE to check the model/serial on the block on the driver's side next to the IP gear cover. If it
is 7.3D... you want 07225. If it's 7.3TU2U..., you want 07230. DO NOT ASSUME IT IS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE.).

The balance is a bit different I guess. I've got a 07225 on my IDIT block, and I suppose it might be a little rougher than normal... I'll swap it out with the proper flywheel when I get time and money to tear into it.

Thanks that's good information. I will look for the block stamp before I order a clutch.

I went to see the truck yesterday and made a deal on it. I should have it in the next few weeks, so this project will move forward.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question on engine identification. The engine that I am putting in my truck has a factory turbo kit on it, so I assume it's a factory turbo engine, but I will check the block stamp. The engine also has been rebuilt, so who knows what parts were used. It does still have the flex plate bolted to it. Was there a different flex plate used between the n/a and turbo models? Maybe I can tell if it has the turbo internals by looking which flex plate is used? If they are different, do you all know how to tell the difference between the two?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post a picture of the flexplate and I’ll tell you what you got. 7.3t will be a turbo block

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a picture of the flexplate and I’ll tell you what you got. 7.3t will be a turbo block

Will do. I found some old threads where someone had posted a page from the ford manual showing the turbo flex plate and flywheel along with the balancer. You had posted in some of those threads too.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a zoomed out picture of where the block id/serial number is stamped? Everything I have seen is really zoomed in so I am not exactly sure if the location. Do I need to remove the vacuum pump to be able to see it?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that is fool proof, is where the turbo oil feed goes 1/4 or 1/8 pipe. A turbo block was 1/4, but if rebuilt it could of been drilled out.

Here is picture of a factory turbo flywheel, It is for sale too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the engine from the front you will see an oil fill cap in the center. That is screwed into the timing gear cover, which is attached to the block at the base of the cover by two bolts. If you clean the flat area of the block between the edge of the valley pan and the timing gear cover bolt on the drivers side you will find it. Dont need to remove anything, just got to clean it down to the bare block surface to see it

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I found it. So the bad engine in my truck has the turbo stamp on the block. My doner engine which was rebuilt has a brass tag in that spot. So I called the rebuild company. They told me that it was rebuilt in 1999. They said that it was a factory turbo rebuild. They say that there are notes that the block has been drilled out for oil passages. With that being said I still don’t know which flywheel I will need. I took pics of my flexplate on the doner engine Is there a way to post pics here without hosting them somewhere else?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that is fool proof, is where the turbo oil feed goes 1/4 or 1/8 pipe. A turbo block was 1/4, but if rebuilt it could of been drilled out.

Here is picture of a factory turbo flywheel, It is for sale too.

Do you have any further back pics of your flexplate so I can see all of the holes and any weights added?

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the harmonic balancer. The turbo version is specific and weighted different. Then go to eBay and compare.