ZF5 rebuild preferences? DIY, rebuilder, etc.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ZF5 had bad synchros when I got it 14-ish years ago. Thank God for Redline MTL!

But it can't be put off much longer and I'm curious what the thoughts are on getting it rebuilt vs doing the work myself with a good kit.

Really the only hiccup is that I have a wife that works part-time, 3 young kiddos, 3 vehicles, own my own home and don't need any more projects/chores.

I love figuring out mechanical stuff and this is totally my kind of project, and I've seen the rebuild videos so I'm not intimidated but I know it will be a significant time investment. I've never been to a repair shop for a vehicle in almost 20 years, I do everything myself-- and because of helpful gents like you, I've been able to keep it that way!

So the main options are:
DIY rebuild
Send out for a rebuild
Find one already rebuilt and buy(but that usually has no warranty)
If I'm missing something, let me know.

But for a DIY, what kit is best or at least OE?
If I buy or send out, how do I know who I can trust?

Thanks all!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you feel confident, I think DIY would likely put you miles ahead in terms of cost, workmanship, and peace of mind. I’ve never done a manual transmission before, but I’ve done a few engines and a dozen or so automatics. Every time, I spend more time cleaning and inspecting than I think I will. That being said, I still think it’s probably worth it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just my feeling, but I didn't enjoy trying to rebuild a ZF5. I don't plan to attempt it again. I know that some do with great success so don't let my opinion stop you from trying if you want to.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one around me will touch a zf5 so I'll be doing it myself too. I'm going to eventually get the rotunda kit to save myself some pain but have been avoiding it because it's expensive.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have found manuals to be far less complex than auto’s to rebuild. I have not done a ZF5. But if you do it you may find you need to invest in some pullers and a press. Where things can get challenging is replacing bushings in the case if pressed in. (If you have rebuilt transfer cases you would also know what I mean.)

The best advice I can give is video your entire tear down and buy a good repair manual. Set the parts out in the order they came out. Take lots of pics to boot. Keep track of which if any bolts holding a item on are longer or shorter than others. In just a couple days you can forget how a part or what bolt goes where. The video and pics will be your memory.

If you do have a tranny shop do it, call around, as the prices vary dramatically. I recently had a issue with a 4R75W tranny and did not have time to do it myself. I pulled it and had someone who was recommended do it. I called 5 shops most wanted $2,500-3,500. Auto parts stores where $1,900-2500. This shop did it for $1,900 with a 12 month and 12,000mi warranty. He used a Ford factory rebuild kit but out the shop the rear seal leaked between the seal and the tranny case. A month later the front seal popped out. Made me question how good his rebuilder is. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan A: Treat it like a Covid recovery: Plan conservatively for two more years and keep double clutching :joker:

Plan B: I’d investigate and look for the gasser variant as it’s supposed to have a better gear spread. I also think you’ll have a lot more luck finding a decent used one as I’m guessing there’s more of them out there. I like swapping stuff as it limits the down time.

Plan C: If you’re brave (you must be as you’ve got three kiddos!) and you decide to rebuild your current ZF yourself, you’ve probably already found this one, but I thought this was a really, really good documented garage rebuild.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redline MTL - do they make ATF? Pretty sure our ZF5s are supposed to use synthetic ATF, not gear oil.
Edited to add: Yes, they do make ATF
Looks like good stuff.
Yep from what I can tell it's a synthetic ATF base with friction additives and some fairy sprinkles that make it specifically wonderful for us ZF5/manual types. All I know is that I'm totally sold on it and love the performance and longevity it gave my ZF.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plan A: Treat it like a Covid recovery: Plan conservatively for two more years and keep double clutching :joker:

Plan B: I’d investigate and look for the gasser variant as it’s supposed to have a better gear spread. I also think you’ll have a lot more luck finding a decent used one as I’m guessing there’s more of them out there. I like swapping stuff as it limits the down time.

Plan C: If you’re brave (you must be as you’ve got three kiddos!) and you decide to rebuild your current ZF yourself, you’ve probably already found this one, but I thought this was a really, really good documented garage rebuild.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Plan A: LOL

Plan B: That's quite smart actually, and one factor I did not consider. Especially now that I'm running 3.55 gears and 33" tires the gear spread would do very well. I don't think I've heard anything but good about the swap. But I think only the 460 case will bolt up, right? Or maybe it's none of the gassers bolt up and I'll have to swap the inner bits no matter what.

Plan C: Without that exact post I might not have considered conquering this beast! I love that write-up, very well done and thanks for the convenient link!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can only use the 460 ZF5 behind out IDIs. You will have to redrill some mounting holes in the bellhousing. It's a good thing that our engines all came from the factory with a pattern for doing this. It's called the adapter plate.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online