Rebuild My Stock Turbo Send to be Rebuilt, or Get Aftermarket Turbo?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas -

I have the engine just about done for Project Brutus - 7.3, head studs, R&D IDI cam, etc. Have one of Justin's 90cc pumps on the way for it, and will buy some of his Stage 1 injectors, too. Hoping for 550 ft/lbs at the rear wheels.

I have the stock Garrett turbo and all associated bits from a factory 94 IDI-T engine. Engine was not running when I bought it, so I don't know how well anything was working.

Looks like my options are as follows:

1. Rebuild factory turbo - kit from Russ Repair is $175 - https://russrepair.com/turbo-rebuild-kit-and-install-kit-factory-or-093/ Does anyone know where I can buy an upgraded compressor wheel?

2. Send off to be rebuilt - Russ charges $775 to rebuild it; comes with his upgraded billet wheel. https://russrepair.com/turbo-rebuild-and-install-kit-shipped-back-to-you-factory-style-and-093/ I think Justin would also rebuild mine if I sent it to him.

3. Buy a rebuilt turbo - Justin sells his Stage 1 for $1,300. https://idiperformance.com/shop/turbochargers-and-turbo-parts/rd-stage-1-factory-drop-in-turbo/ - believe this would is with core charge, so likely less expensive if I sent mine in.

Thanks

Scott

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
All options are good options. I preferably would have someone else build a turbo, spinning at 30-40k rpms, if they're out of balance they tend to go boom

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding them is not difficult and can be done with basic hand tools. Balancing is the difficult part and is absolutely critical to a long life. Remember that these things spin at around 100,000 rpms and it doesn't take more than a few grams of imbalance to dramatically shorten life expectancy. If you do it yourself, mark the alignment of the compressor wheel to the shaft before you take it apart, and make sure you don't nick, scratch, or bend a vane. Put it back together in the same orientation after you replace the journal bearings, thrust bearings, and piston rings. Hopefully you will get it back into the same balance condition as before. Of course if the turbo failed or has damage due to an imbalance condition previously, well your better off buying a new one from a source that balances both the components and the cartridge. Beware of "cheap" turbos from across the pond. They are often built without being balanced and don't last very long.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Agreed all good options, you’re asking for feedback and with your build I’d go with Justin’s stage 1.
I'll second this one. Since you're wanting to make some bigger power, I think that you should go with a bigger turbo. You could spend the money and have the stock one rebuilt and upgraded, but what if it isn't enough? Then you'd be buying a bigger turbo after spending the money on this one. Sure you could sell it, but why risk the aggravation? My personal opinion is that it's better for engine health to be over-turboed. You'll only use enough air to burn the fuel you're running through the engine. If you are over fueled, you won't burn all of the fuel and you'll be fighting high EGT's. Nothing scientific there, just my gut feeling.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested there is a guy here in Greeley, Co that has a new turbo he is selling for less than $500 I believe. If interested let me know. I don’t know him I saw it on Nextdoor and inquired about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965