ZF to t-case adapter

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i can put a 2wd zf5 in a 4X4 as long as i run a divorced transfercase?:confused:

How hard is this?
Got pictures?

Yep, you need a 2wd tranny to run a divorced transfer case.

Level of difficulty PITA, time and $$$$$ to put something in that wasn't originally designed to be there. Will need to have 3 custom driveshafts made as well as a mount for the transfer case and a location for the shift lever to come up through the floor.

Check his sig for links to his truck.....Nice work;Sweet

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rawpower, still got the 4WD shaft & tailhousing that you pulled off doing your 4WD to 2WD conversion? Since you did exactly the opposite of what I was thinking of doing, the parts you took off should be just what I'd need....

As for doing the divorced TC the biggest PITA about that would probably be the custom drivelines and adding another crossmember to hold the TC....

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Hey Rawpower, still got the 4WD shaft & tailhousing that you pulled off doing your 4WD to 2WD conversion? Since you did exactly the opposite of what I was thinking of doing, the parts you took off should be just what I'd need....

As for doing the divorced TC the biggest PITA about that would probably be the custom drivelines and adding another crossmember to hold the TC....

Like you and TD said, the custom driveshafts are the largest PITA... I will probably be making my own and hopefully attempt to get them ballanced, and if they won't balance then I've got a front D-shaft and a spare. Fabricating the transfercase crossmember is a lot easier, but getting it in there is also a PITA. 149 lbs isnt easy to get up 3 feet off the ground w/out a tranny jack. Anyways....

My truck is far from finished, so sorry, no completed pics. First it was dealing with the cavitation, so I rebuilt it, then I figured out that clutchless shifting was very bad for ZF's, but unfortunately the hard way... and now the lift/build-up is not going rapidly.

Yes, I still have the mainshaft and tailshaft laying around. I was going to sell them to Blumenthal's next time I went up there, but if you are interested in them, I'd be happy to sell them to you.

Edit: Thanks for the compliments TD, I'm still learning a lot from this website. The longer I'm on here the happier I am that I have an IDI instead of a old model powerchoke...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, some news on the ZF swap....

Pulled the old tranny and t-case today. I picked up a Fenco clutch set from Schucks the other day (part # NU31103) that said it was for the 87 F250 with the 6.9 and the ZF-5 speed and the 11" DMF.

The beauty of this kit is that instead of a solid-hub clutch disk, it came with a clutch disk with a spring-mounted hub. The hub fits the 10 spline 1.25" input shaft on the ZF-5. And the bolt holes in the new pressure plate are a spot-on match for the holes in the old pressure plate that was bolted to my SMF, so it should bolt right in.

SO.... it looks like this is going to work swimmingly. The only potential snag is that the TOB fork may need to be modified in order to fully disengage the clutch due to the difference in the depth of the bellhousing for the thicker DMF.

Anybody done this TOB fork mod as part of their ZF swap?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker