ZF to t-case adapter

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got one lying around? I have a 2WD ZF-5 S42 tranny that a friend would like to be able to put into his truck, but his is 4WD. So, I'm looking for the adapter piece that bolts on in place of the tail housing for a ZF tranny in order to convert this one to 4WD for him.

And before anyone says "bone-yard" I'd like to point out up front that most wreckers aren't going to let you pull the tail housing off a tranny without buying the whole thing - unless the rest of it is already trashed. Finding a trashed ZF-5 at a bone-yard may be possible, but isn't going to be very likely.

So, I'm hoping that maybe someone around here has a trashed one or parts left over from converting one or something....

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Methinks the output shaft is different also.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmn, that isn't what I've been told. I've been led to believe that the housing is the only thing that is different - and that info came from an independant 3rd party who is pretty knowledgable about the IDIs - not the seller of the 2WD tranny.

You sure about that info Double-S-Diesel?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmn, that isn't what I've been told. I've been led to believe that the housing is the only thing that is different - and that info came from an independant 3rd party who is pretty knowledgable about the IDIs - not the seller of the 2WD tranny.

You sure about that info Double-S-Diesel?

You've been told wrong on the ZF5....Nick is right about that...Your 3rd party might know a bunch about the IDI but he doesn't know the ZF5

The tailshaft of these transmissions is built into the mainshaft. The 2wd and 4wd shafts are different lengths. In order to even remove the tailshaft housing on A ZF5 transmission involves removing and disassembling nearly the entire transmission as the mainshaft, countershaft and reverse shafts with the gear clusters of all 3 plus the shift rods are all stacked on the tailshaft housing......In other words when you pull the tailshaft housing you get ALL of the guts.

Here's a pic of of My ZF5 assembly before I slipped the main case over it. It can't be done any other way.
You must be registered for see images attach

• Can it be changed to a 4wd tranny---- yes
  • Can you do it with common hand tools---no
  • Is the tailshaft housing easy to find ----NO

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
TD is the expert here on the zf, Ive tore alot of crap apart, but wont even think about a zf.
TD wanna rebuild my spare?? only needs syncros in 2,3,4th gear.
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TD is the expert here on the zf, Ive tore alot of crap apart, but wont even think about a zf.
TD wanna rebuild my spare?? only needs syncros in 2,3,4th gear.
Nick

:eek: :eek: NO...I like ya a lot Nick... but sorry, I ain't no expert and don't have the tools to get into the gear clusters and syncros...

Bearings were tough enough and required purchases of a few bearing separators, rented pullers, a freezer, toaster oven, 12" John Deere garden tractor rim and a $35 trip to a tranny shop for some minor work I couldn't do on the main case just to replace the bearings, races and seals.

Hell it took me prolly 2 hrs to get the syncro back together that I did pull apart accidently.....Chased those $#^%&*^% springs and detent balls all over the dayum shop like an:idiot:

Towcat's the expert, taught me most of what I know about them....Everything else I learned the hard way with nothing but a single exploded diagram picture.

The ZF5 is a Royal PITA to work on.;Pissed

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, guys. I can see that the individual I was listening to is full of.... well.... something unpleasant. Obviously he doesn't know the trannys nearly as well as he knows the motors.

Guess my next step is to see if the seller will take it back - or try to sell it myself.

Anybody looking for a nice clean used 2WD ZF5 S42?
It has the 4.14 1st gear ratio and .77 5th gear. Even comes with a DMF if you'd like to use it......

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good news for you.....The 4.14 first gear is for a the diesel tranny.

Prolly somebody here that would swap you from something they were parting out.

IMHO swapping trannies for the correct transmission is the right and definatly the easiest way to do this. The days of just swapping a tailshaft housing to bolt up a transfercase or make a quick repair are pretty much over with the ZF on the scene.

In my couple day nationwide search for a 2wd ZF S5 42 tailshaft housing I found 3 of them, 1 in Cali, one in Canada and one 80 miles from me for $125 (got really lucky on this one)... I received NO answers when I put out a nationwide and Canada post on a used parts locator.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TD that is one stylin trans holding fixture. Special order????

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TD that is one stylin trans holding fixture. Special order????

Nah, it's 20+ years old and you can't get this industrial style any more. Works great too, actually very stable with no modifications;Sweet ........ I have 6 of them in stock this week, 2 are 10.5" wide with 26" bar tires and 4 are 8.5" wide with 23" turf tires, how many do you needLOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm little heavy for the rail but thanks. LOL

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good news for you.....The 4.14 first gear is for a the diesel tranny.

Prolly somebody here that would swap you from something they were parting out.

IMHO swapping trannies for the correct transmission is the right and definatly the easiest way to do this. The days of just swapping a tailshaft housing to bolt up a transfercase or make a quick repair are pretty much over with the ZF on the scene.

In my couple day nationwide search for a 2wd ZF S5 42 tailshaft housing I found 3 of them, 1 in Cali, one in Canada and one 80 miles from me for $125 (got really lucky on this one)... I received NO answers when I put out a nationwide and Canada post on a used parts locator.
Yeah, well, I came across this one and picked it up for my buddy, (paid cash for it) then found out the conversion is impractical. I already have an S47 for my swap - with the 5.08 low gear. I'd really rather have the 4.14 low gear, but the 5.08 should still be OK. Its a tiny bit taller than the 5.11 in the tranny I have in it now. I figure after the swap I should be still be able to continue starting in 2nd when driving on the street with no load on. The big difference is that I won't be topping out in 4th gear at a 1:1 ratio after only 2 shifts - I'll still have one more gear - the 5th gear .77:1 OD to give me some decent top end.

On the S42 I had already confirmed it was a diesel tranny - I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I'm just kinda stuck with it since it won't work for my buddy. I'll just have to find a buyer. Probably will put up an ad here and if nobody jumps on it, then I'll try Craigslist, and as a last resort, Fleabay.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firstly,
contrary to what tonkadoc said...I'm no "expert" on ZF's. I've pulled a whole bunch of them apart and been closely supervised in putting a few back together. Outside of the tailhousing being the first tiems to go down the assy line, the output shaft is a completely different animal. Case in point... on the 2wd trans, the output shaft yoke is BOLTED ONTO THE SHAFT. On the 4wd trans, the transfer case input shaft SLIPS ONTO THE TRANS OUTPUT SHAFT. It's that simple. Oh yea, the output shaft has the whole gear cluster assembly attached to it too.
Now, that aside, I do have a 4wd ZF5 availible for trade down here in Kali. I know that Dave85 makes a run up to WA state about once a month, I am sure he can be talked into doing a transport with a little cash for feul:D

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly,
contrary to what tonkadoc said...I'm no "expert" on ZF's. I've pulled a whole bunch of them apart and been closely supervised in putting a few back together. Outside of the tailhousing being the first tiems to go down the assy line, the output shaft is a completely different animal. Case in point... on the 2wd trans, the output shaft yoke is BOLTED ONTO THE SHAFT. On the 4wd trans, the transfer case input shaft SLIPS ONTO THE TRANS OUTPUT SHAFT. It's that simple. Oh yea, the output shaft has the whole gear cluster assembly attached to it too.
Now, that aside, I do have a 4wd ZF5 availible for trade down here in Kali. I know that Dave85 makes a run up to WA state about once a month, I am sure he can be talked into doing a transport with a little cash for feul:D
Well, ummm, who would be paying him that "little cash for fuel" - you or me? And how much is your definition of "a little"? Is yours an S42 or S47? What is the gearset in the one you have for trade (4.14 -.77, 5.08 -.77, or 5.72 - .76)? If I can't find a local buyer for mine I might be interested. Feel free to send me a PM with more details on your proposition....