ZF to t-case adapter

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, ummm, who would be paying him that "little cash for fuel" - you or me? And how much is your definition of "a little"? Is yours an S42 or S47? What is the gearset in the one you have for trade (4.14 -.77, 5.08 -.77, or 5.72 - .76)? If I can't find a local buyer for mine I might be interested. Feel free to send me a PM with more details on your proposition....
here's the thing.
I currently have two complete 4wd ZF's and one 2wd ZF disassembled in a box. I don't have a "need" for two 4wd ZF's since I don't actively use my F450's anymore. I do have a need for a 2wd ZF for a backup just in case if I scatter the one on my '92 F350, but I already have one that needs to be put back together under watchful supervision. Got no idea what the 1st gear is, but they all have been in a diesel. I do have access to a S47, but if you are going to run that one in a IDI, you're going to need to change the input shaft since the PSD is a different animal.
"how much is a little?" I got no clue. Dave85 will need to be asked if he is willing first and how much will motivate him to be willing. Am I willing to pay the freight? Not really, I already have a trans in either version. But I am willing to swap units. No, I am not willing to part out the trans either.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's the thing.
I currently have two complete 4wd ZF's and one 2wd ZF disassembled in a box. I don't have a "need" for two 4wd ZF's since I don't actively use my F450's anymore. I do have a need for a 2wd ZF for a backup just in case if I scatter the one on my '92 F350, but I already have one that needs to be put back together under watchful supervision. Got no idea what the 1st gear is, but they all have been in a diesel. I do have access to a S47, but if you are going to run that one in a IDI, you're going to need to change the input shaft since the PSD is a different animal.
Huh? I was of the understanding that the S47 would bolt right in with the right clutch kit?

I know the clutch & pressure plate on my Borg Warner is an 11" disk bolted to a SMF and I believe it has a 1-1/16" diameter input shaft.

I also know that the 5-speed I have was bolted to a 7.3 with the 12" clutch disk & DMF and I'm 95% sure it has a 1-1/4" input shaft.

However, it is my understanding that the early 87 IDIs were available with a ZF-5 that had a 1-1/4" input shaft, that they had a conventional 11" clutch (with a spring-loaded hub) and pressure plate bolted to a SMF.

So are you saying that the clutch & pressure plate set for an early 87 IDI with the ZF-5 won't fit on the S47 input shaft and bolt up to my SMF? If that is the case, please clarify what part of it won't fit.

"how much is a little?" I got no clue. Dave85 will need to be asked if he is willing first and how much will motivate him to be willing. Am I willing to pay the freight? Not really, I already have a trans in either version. But I am willing to swap units. No, I am not willing to part out the trans either.
That's OK, I'm not interested in trying to persuade you to part one of your trannys. I don't think I would want to attempt the conversion even if I had the parts. I've done some tranny work before and IMO it is a pain-in-the-you-know-what and there is too much opportunity for even a small error or mis-adjustment/mis-alignment to cause MAJOR problems.

As for the gear ratios, the first and fifth gear ratios stamped on the tranny ID plate on the driver's side of the case on both the S47 4WD and S42 2WD trannys I have. Take a look at your 4WD trannys. They should have one of three things stamped on the plate. 5.72 - .76, or 5.08 -.77, or 4.14 - .77

As I understand it those are the three gear ratio sets offered in the ZF trannys. The 1st number is the first gear ratio, the second number is the 5th gear (OD) ratio (i.e. 5.08:1 first gear and .77:1 fifth gear). On both the S47 and the S42 4th gear is 1:1 and the second gear ratio is in the neighborhood of 2.7:1 and the third gear ratio is around 1.5:1 (give or take a little).

I take it that both of the 4WD trannys you have are S42s? If you'd be willing to take a look at the ID plates and let me know what gear ratio spreads are stamped on them that would help me figure out which one would be better for my application. I'm not really sure exactly what I'll end up doing, but I really appreciate your offer and your advice. I'll get back to you as I get farther along in figuring out what I want to do.

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
s-42 and s-47 will interchange, psd to IDI and back input shaft is the same
put a s42 from an IDI in my 96 psd that had the s-47.
like the 4.14 gear over the 5.08(ithink)
t-19, now that takes a different set up

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Tonka - do you have any spare specialty tools (specifically 12" JD rims) laying around?

I'd like a set for my turf tires.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF-5 Tranny Ratios for both S42 and S47

Diesel
  1. 4.14
  2. 2.37
  3. 1.42
  4. 1
  5. .76
Gas
  1. 5.72
  2. 2.94
  3. 1.61
  4. 1
  5. .76
These are the only 2 ratios I know about.

ELIHMAN, Never even heard of Junebug's

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ill have to look at the tag off of the 96's original case, the s42 tag is a 4.14.
IIRC the tag on the 96 was other.
I know the gear ratio is different just by driving it.
it is possible that the 96 trans was not original??
Nick

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well TDoc, there is definitely at least one more that you must have never come across.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This brings back memories of arguements over Muncie wide ratio and close ratio gearboxescookoo

:rotflmao That argument has been going on for over 40 years.

I ain't gonna argue over it, just pass along what I have learned (usually the hard wayLOL)and people can take what they want and leave the rest

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue with anyone either. That would be dumb since I'm here asking questions and looking for help/advice.

I'm just sharing the info that I am getting off the tranny I have sitting in the bed of my truck waiting to be transplanted. It has ZF embossed on the side of the main housing. On the ID plate it where the blank marked "model number" is it has S47 stamped on it, and below that in the blank where it says "ratios" it has 5.08 - .77 stamped on it.

Take that for what its worth, but I'll be glad to post a picture if you like. But, based on that info and the fact that the 2WD tranny I have has S42 stamped in the model number blank and 4.14 - .77 stamped in the ratios blank - and the fact that 4.14 and .77 are the 1st and 5th gear ratios I've seen posted here and elsewhere, I have to conclude that there was a ZF offered with a 5.08 1st gear and .77 5th gear.

Btw the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gear ratios for the 5.08 - .77 ZF5-S47 were numbers I got from another source. That source also listed the same 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gear ratios for the 4.14 - .77 (diesel) AND the 5.72 - .76 (gasser) gearsets for the ZF-5 that TD listed above. Since I got that same info from two sources, AND confirmed it from the ID plate, I have to conclude that the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gear ratios he listed for the 5.08 - .77 gearset are probably correct as well.

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue with anyone - just sharing info I've seen and gleaned while researching this swap. That's what sites like this one are really all about, sharing what we've learned and learning from each other, right?

Or would it be better if we noobs not share any "new" info we uncover ;) ?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This hasn't degenerated into the knock down drag out brawls that Towcat is mentioning from years gone by.

Always share, and if somebody don't like it take it with a grain of salt and ignore them because others can learn from you..... Even us old grumpy farts that have been cranking on wrenches for 25+ years.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This hasn't degenerated into the knock down drag out brawls that Towcat is mentioning from years gone by.

Always share, and if somebody don't like it take it with a grain of salt and ignore them because others can learn from you..... Even us old grumpy farts that have been cranking on wrenches for 25+ years.
"Only" 25+ years? If that makes you a grumpy old fart, then I must be a grumpier, older fart - 'cause I've got at least 10 years on ya there pard - actually closer to 15.

I only call myself a "noob" because I'm pretty new to diesels. My 2 IDIs are the first I've ever owned and I only picked up the first one in August......

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I know I'm jumping in a little late here, but I figure I might as well post the info for the future questions that may arise about the subject.

It is not that difficult to switch from 2wd to 4x4 tailhousings and vice versa. You will need to replace the mainshaft in either case, so a complete rebuild may as well be scheduled at the same time. I can't rebuild one, so when my 4x4 was getting rebuilt I had it switched to 2wd so I could run a divorced NP205 transfercase. going from 4x4 to 2wd required the tailhousing, mainshaft, yoke, output seal, and yoke nut. However, if you aren't planning on a complete rebuild, it isn't worth the effort.

I got a used tailhousing and mainshaft for $150 from Blumenthal's up in OK while I was passing through.
Why don't you just run a divorced transfer case? The NP205 is far stronger than any of the BW series that you would be putting in there, but perhaps you would only need the 4x4 for mild or moderate instances and would therefore negate the benefits gained from an NP205