Go to reman injection pump

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
So I am thinking my injection pump is taking/taken a **** on me.. was running fine, started acting like it was a clogged fuel filter/ my electric pump was no good.. pump was definitely weak..

Got it a couple of hours down the road and replaced the fuel filters and pump, had a hellatious time getting the pump to bleed, had fuel at the injection pump... finally got it running, ran great for about 10 miles, then started acting like a powerstroke does for a while if you run them out of fuel.. did that about another 40 miles, and same story as before, except it just died, and won't restart..

Great fuel pressure at the IP, cracked the lines and a little fuel comes out but not much.. not like you would think... and will not start... ended up leaving it at a ranchers house so I could get back to work (from western Montana and work in north Dakota), so I'll have a couple of weeks to figure it out.. but all of my diagnosis points towards the pump itself bad, but is there something I'm missing? The FSS clicks with the key, and I've jumped power to it to eliminate that, obviously didn't do a compression test along side the road, but it still has even compression...

If the consensus goes towards the injection pump, what is everyone's go to? I'll contact R&D idi but I can't wait for it to be built or anything, I'll be going back in a couple of weeks to fix it, being it's a long ways away...

One of the main reasons I think it might be the injection pump is because the guy I had gotten it from, he said he thought the injection pump was original, and it has 195k miles on it.. his dad had bought the truck brand new for his construction business as the work crummy.. so I really don't know

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll contact R&D idi
Either him or Russ (Typ4)_ may be the fastest to get one from.
the guy I had gotten it from, he said he thought the injection pump was original, and it has 195k miles on it..
First off, there isn't a lot of volume that comes out of the IP on each injection pulse. It is, however, under high pressure. I was going to suggest trying a different, known good, IP before buying until I read this. If it is the original, it's time to replace it. Just be aware that the injectors are needing to be replaced too.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search function is perfect for these kinda things
Check the tech 101 section

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either him or Russ (Typ4)_ may be the fastest to get one from.

First off, there isn't a lot of volume that comes out of the IP on each injection pulse. It is, however, under high pressure. I was going to suggest trying a different, known good, IP before buying until I read this. If it is the original, it's time to replace it. Just be aware that the injectors are needing to be replaced too.
Im not selling pumps at this time.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a pre-filter on the electric pump I'd check that first. Or just delete it. I had one that cause me all sorts of headaches till I realized it was clogged up.

You might post in the wanted section, or maybe someone is selling over in the marketplace. Facebook/craigslist too, on the off-chance someone is selling a good IP.

Last edited:

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
First off, there isn't a lot of volume that comes out of the IP on each injection pulse. It is, however, under high pressure. I was going to suggest trying a different, known good, IP before buying until I read this. If it is the original, it's time to replace it. Just be aware that the injectors are needing to be replaced to
It's below the normal amount of spray I guess you could say when you would crack the lines normally.. I took the line completely off the injector after I got fuel to it, and it would barely dribble out, not a shot so to speak, if that makes any sense..

I know the injectors are probably due as well, I'll do those at a later date as I need to get the truck back home first, and I would rather deal with any potential issues from home rather than 6.5 hours away lol
Search function is perfect for these kinda things
Check the tech 101 section
Thanks for your input, wasn't finding what I wanted while being frozen on the side of the road
If you have a pre-filter on the electric pump I'd check that first. Or just delete it. I had one that cause me all sorts of headaches till I realized it was clogged up
I have a clear pre pump filter, it's like a 100 micron filter, so I can easily see if it has a bunch of crap in it or not.. more or less to keep the ball bearings out of the pump lol..

I'll most likely do a junior moose pump, as I have a factory turbo setup going on the truck at a later date, want a little more than a factory turbo engine would have..

Thank you for all of your input...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic Diesel Design advertises on this site. I recently purchased a set of his injectors and they work great. He also sells pumps.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, wasn't finding what I wanted while being frozen on the side of the road
That's why Mike put the 911 diesel down forum in the list.
Sorry if I missed the part where you were frozen....

My .02
Have it towed home.
As No one will have a pump worth buying on the shelf.
Godspeed

Ruffnek7tree

Reaction score
That's why Mike put the 911 diesel down forum in the list.
Sorry if I missed the part where you were frozen....

My .02
Have it towed home.
As No one will have a pump worth buying on the shelf.
Godspeed
No worries man, idk if I put it in the original post I was lol..

Classic diesel is out of stock, says 8-10 weeks.. I don't know anyone that will let me borrow a truck that far, as my powerstroke is down atm as well

I'll see if r&d or moose have any in stock, I won't put a parts store one on it

Reactions: Clb

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I took the line completely off the injector after I got fuel to it, and it would barely dribble out, not a shot so to speak, if that makes any sense..
I gotcha now. It does make sense.
Classic Diesel Design advertises on this site. I recently purchased a set of his injectors and they work great. He also sells pumps.

Classic diesel is out of stock, says 8-10 weeks..
The last I knew they were backed up pretty far so that's why I didn't mention CDD.

THSIM9

Reaction score
CDD is pretty backed up, I sent my pump in back in January and I just got it back last week. They were great about keeping me in the loop, just slower than anticipated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online