T-19/ZF-5 Flywheel

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Truck shops probably have all the tools for doing Drums and Flywheels. I doubt they just toss a set of drums and buy new for a Kenworth.

On my 86 we had to replace the Rotors with new ones as they were wore down beyond spect. I think we did the drums for the same reason.

Did some searching and found a few on CL

I finally found one that is specifically for doing Flywheels.
pricey little sucker.

They are out there is looking, first time I searched for these.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I thought flywheels were ground on a grinding machine?

And I guess you guys know a flywheel for a T19 will not work with a ZF? There was a lot of discussion in the previous posts and it was a little confusing, you may have mentioned that already. You may have been talking about engine/flywheel compatibility and not transmission/flywheel compatibility.
That is correct, they are put in a specialty machine with a head bit that uses a cone shaped grinding material. We got off on a couple of tangents of other than flywheels why machine shops are disappearing. The flywheel grinder/surfacer would be a machine that looks like this the one old goat posted.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot I posted this thread back in June/22.

Installing a new Clutch in the 86 with the T-19 Trans., remembered I have a spare FW out in the shop. Why not take it down and have it ground to speed up things?
$65 later and all ready to R&R it.

Working on the truck off and on for a few days, and finally get the 4- spd FW off.
Some day`s later get to thinking...OH No that is a different FW. Place the Pressure Plate on ea one....No way it is going to fit.

The T-19 FW has 6 bolt holes, and the ZF-5spd has 8. They look pretty close to be the same diameter, haven`t measured yet.

Last Monday dropped off the T-19, another $65.
At least now I have the ZF one incase a trans falls out of the sky on me. ;Really

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21