IDI to Allison adapter valuable?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Allison adapter, from what I understand that is big truck stuff, and the big trucks used SAE standard bellhousings. There are idi to SAE adapters out there, that is all you would need to bolt the Allison from the bus or a big truck/uhaul or bolt a big truck manual transmission in place.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hi output heater core is an exception to that, they are in the engine compartment regardless of A/C or no A/C. I worked on an 85 that had no A/C and the heater core was in the engine compartment

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hi output heater core is an exception to that, they are in the engine compartment regardless of A/C or no A/C. I worked on an 85 that had no A/C and the heater core was in the engine compartment
All 86-dwn non-A/C heater cores are under the hood, high output or not.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on the non a/c system did they move the heater core to the a/c evaporator location?
I figured that the entire passenger side of the engine bay would be pretty much empty.

James
Here's a picture of my 84 bronco non-AC and how it is in a factory sence. And on my dually, I butchered up the AC box to make room and a place for a coolant filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20231202_164104.jpg
    IMG_20231202_164104.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231202_164037.jpg
    IMG_20231202_164037.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 12

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that it was designed that way. Since I don't have an engineering degree, I had just figured they did it logically and left the heater core under the dash.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have never guessed that it was designed that way. Since I don't have an engineering degree, I had just figured they did it logically and left the heater core under the dash.

James
When I "engineered" mine, I left it under the dash.

And really if you think about it, since it doesn't have ac, this leaves the heat under the hood instead of in the cab.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And really if you think about it, since it doesn't have ac, this leaves the heat under the hood instead of in the cab.
I guess that is true, but to me I would have thought it would have been much cheaper from a production standpoint to just redesign the blower housing instead of everything under the dash.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that is true, but to me I would have thought it would have been much cheaper from a production standpoint to just redesign the blower housing instead of everything under the dash.

James
Like I said, they finally did figure it out in the 87-up trucks and left it behind the glove box inside the cab whether you had A/C or not. If you have a 1986-dwn truck, and have a butchered up old A/C box, a slick way to fix it would be to find a 87-up non-A/C truck and get the cover on the firewall out of it, and use that to replace the butchered up A/C box area. A non-A/C truck can be hard to find though as you get into the later years.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When looking for parts for upfit ting ac in a few trucks I've done, you'd be surprised how many 87+ didn't have ac in this area. About half.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the non a/c trucks are far more common up north. Of all of the ones I have (I think I currently have 24 total ranging fron 1957- 2001) the only 3 I have that were non a/c are a 64 c-10 a 57 F100 and a 65 F250.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the non a/c trucks are far more common up north. Of all of the ones I have (I think I currently have 24 total ranging fron 1957- 2001) the only 3 I have that were non a/c are a 64 c-10 a 57 F100 and a 65 F250.

James
That's my observation. So I butchered mine up, I'll never fix the AC in my personal vehicle and I wanted space.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is mine. I listed the bus on here on the marketplace awhile ago and didn't get a boohoo. I guess I falsely assumed the engine and trans would receive the same.

Manifold is mounted on the passenger side, because that was where I was going to mount it in the school bus. This was a spare engine, and also used for mock up. I posted a pic on here somewhere showing the room I had, whereas the driver's side(where this would have been used on a pickup) is more obstructed thanks to the degas tank, steering shaft, fuel filter, etc.

My plan was to use a reverse rotation tp38/t4 flange. That in my mind lined everything up nicely to just shoot a pipe over the valve cover to the intake.

Now the whole lot is for sale, as the little free time I had is now gone thanks to having kids and a wife.
So it's all for sale
1971 torino, 2x 2004 cadillac deville, 1998 cadillac deville, 2008 crown vic, 1984 IH school bus, dt466 turbo, 351c parts, etc.
Might as well sell it, because it will be rust in wind by the time I get back to any of it.
I was just looking at this engine on ebay. I see i might have competition. haha
Where? I posted the bus on there, but not this, so if someone did, I'd love to see it

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the manifold isn't a homemade job. It's from turbo engineering, used a rayjay turbo, and was one of the first style kits on the market for these engines. That's been asked a lot on FB. It's been discussed on here before, so search "turbo engineering" or "rayjay" if you want to know more.

I'm not really interested in parting it out. I have a feeling that I could make just as much as I'm asking if I did, as I've had dozens of parts requests from it. That's assuming the askers where reasonable in what they'd pay, which I now realize is asking a lot from the facebook crowd lol.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not convinced that you would have to have an engineering degree to come up with a good idea on how to design and manufacture a decent product...

It is probably just a natural talent that you would either have or not have...

Remember...education is a business...

One of the things that I remember from my day-to-day mechanic-ing days is finding all sorts of things to gripe about how engineers design and package stuff...it was rarely arranged so that you could work on it easily...almost impossible-to-access components and lots of sharp edges to cut yourself up on...

Probably cars more so than trucks...but at the time people drove more cars than trucks...at least where I lived...

Lots of special tools to find and buy and then later on scan tools to constantly pay to update...regardless of how many times the tool man assured you that "this is the last scan tool you will ever have to buy..."

I often fantasized about finding all of the designers and engineers that had little regard for mechanics...and lining them all up for a couple of backhands apiece...

Oh...and that goes also for the jerks that wrote and published the flat-rate manuals that a lot of shop managers thought was the gospel...

It was really tough to make a decent living as a mechanic...especially if you had a conscience...

And...the popular media did its best to keep the general buying public at odds with the good, honest mechanics that tried their best to do the right thing every day...by trying to tarnish their reputation every chance they got...

Sorry...I just felt like getting on my soapbox...

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
This is mine. I listed the bus on here on the marketplace awhile ago and didn't get a boohoo. I guess I falsely assumed the engine and trans would receive the same.

Manifold is mounted on the passenger side, because that was where I was going to mount it in the school bus. This was a spare engine, and also used for mock up. I posted a pic on here somewhere showing the room I had, whereas the driver's side(where this would have been) is more obstructed thanks to the degas tank, steering shaft, fuel filter, etc.

My plan was to use a reverse rotation tp38/t4 flange. That in my mind lined everything up nicely to just shoot a pipe over the valve cover to the intake.

Now the whole lot is for sale, as the little free time I had is now gone thanks to having kids and a wife.
So it's all for sale
1971 torino, 2x 2004 cadillac deville, 1998 cadillac deville, 2008 crown vic, 1984 IH school bus, dt466 turbo, 351c parts, etc.
Might as well sell it, because it will be rust in wind by the time I get back to any of it.

Where? I posted the bus on there, but not this, so if someone did, I'd love to see it
I cant find it now, maybe it just looked familiar?