IDI Build

OthersElectric

Reaction score
Hello everyone nice to meet you. I am restoring a 90 F350. Ext Cab Dually. I want all mechanical with more power so i want to add a turbo to the original 7.3. I have to completely rebuild the engine. Can i beef up the existing motor and add a turbo? or should i find a Turbo IDI and rebuild that one? Thanks in advance.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can use the existing motor and throw a turbo on it. Many of us, including myself, have done it with minimal to no issues.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

My '93 7.3 was originally NA and definitely could have used more power. So I bought a complete factory turbo setup and bolted it on. Turned up the fuel screw two flats... then found the turbo was worn and wouldn't make more than 6 psi.

A rebuilt turbo from CDD with upgraded compressor wheel works great - more responsive and easily makes 11-12 psi which is the max you should run without head studs. Those aren't cheap and are difficult if not impossible to install with the engine in the truck.

Also, the first thing you should install is a pyrometer. 1200F max pre-turbo exhaust gas temp.

Upgrading engine internals depends on your intended use of the truck... do you plan on towing heavy in the mountains, for example?

"Speed costs money, son. How fast do you want to go?" ;)

OthersElectric

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for advice. I am totally new to the Rebuild world but looking forward to doing as much of the work as possible. I don't mind trying things and have professionals fix or finish. I want a truck that my wife and I can load the travel trailer to and drive through the mountains to see the US (in 10 years or so). SO i want a dependable truck that will last. Not a speed demon. But getting out of the way if needed isnt a bad thing.

I have to completely rebuild the engine. The truck i bought has a whole in the block and oil pan. I am searching for a new block and want to make sure i get the correct one to beef up and add a turbo to. .

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to need a shop manual for the engine for sure.

Here is one for the 7.3 IDI

Here is another, a reprint, I have this one as well as one for the 6.9
Some are on a CD, I prefere a printed one.
But with a CD you can print the pages you need w/o getting the paper one messed up.

You can try your had at rebuilding one or go this route.

You mentioned your engine has a hole in it.
Don`t junk it, strip it down and save everything good. Less and less of these left in the inventory.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since you want to run a turbo and will be tearing into an engine anyway, NOW is the time to install head studs. It will never be any easier to install them that when you're assembling an engine from the bare block.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you want to run a turbo and will be tearing into an engine anyway, NOW is the time to install head studs. It will never be any easier to install them that when you're assembling an engine from the bare block.
A. M. E. M.

OthersElectric

Reaction score

But with a CD you can print the pages you need w/o getting the paper one messed up.

Don`t junk it, strip it down and save everything good. Less and less of these left in the inventory.

Goat

OthersElectric

Reaction score
This is all great info.
1st Question.
Do i get a 93-94 turbo block with the manual you listed or a 89-93 non turbo block with the manual for that year?

OthersElectric

Reaction score

Goat
Thanks this is great information. IDI performance is like 6 months out. I want to go that route and might if i cant build one my self.

Does anyone know best place to get parts? pistons, studs, rods, heads (redone). etc....

OthersElectric

Reaction score

Can i get thoughts on this? I need a good block to rebuild. This should work correct. If i am redoing the entire motor then this should work. He said its been sitting in this bed with a topper over it for about 2 years.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It should. Depending on what you're planning to do, it may or may not work for you. If you're planning on an entire rebuild with bored cylinders and new pistons, it will likely work just fine. If you're just wanting to do a rering, then it may not. I see that it doesn't have the inspection cover on the front of the IP gear housing so that means that humidity may have gotten inside there. If you're wanting to go that route, make sure that it still turns over before buying it. Humidity can get inside cylinders and cause rust even if an engine's been covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online