Window rolls down but not up?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm not much for troubleshooting electronics so please excuse me for asking this question if it is something really stupid ;p

My passenger side window decided that it will roll down but not up. It acts the same way with both driver and passenger side switches. I put a jumper on the window motor to get it back up so I know that the motor isn't bad... Any ideas? I don't think it is the switch because using both switches have the same results. Relay maybe? If so where the heck is is located? Thanks!

Andrew

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground?

My pass window was sloooooooooooooooooow from driver side, but normal from pass side.

Then the gear stripped, so permanently down now...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground would be my first guess. Could also be the window switch on the passenger door too. The master switch uses the passenger side switch as a "relay"/pass through.

To test that, get access to the switch on the passenger side and use a light to check for voltage on the the yellow and black wire first (you'll need to push down on the master switch to get it light). If you get juice there, check the yellow and red wire at the switch in the same fashion. If you get a light there, you can rule out the switch. If you don't get a light (provided you got a light on the first test), use a jumper wire across the first wire to the second wire and then try again.

Attachments

• Power Window copy.jpg
    Power Window copy.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cut open the rubber boot in the drivers door jamb where the harness goes into the door.gaurantee youll find atleast 1 broken wire in there.if none do the same to the passengers side.not going up is a broken door jamb wire.

paulzx

Reaction score
before you doo anything else, mine truck does a similar thing, but when the switch is activated to go up, you can see the a draw on the volt gauge. so that means that the motor is taking the voltage, but the motor is tired. just a quick check first.

sassyrel

Reaction score
yuor motor will go down--because the motor is getting weak, and takes no strain to go down. up, on the other hand------bad armature,brushes going,bushings on end of motor shaft dry--multiple things--

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yuor motor will go down--because the motor is getting weak, and takes no strain to go down. up, on the other hand------bad armature,brushes going,bushings on end of motor shaft dry--multiple things--

You must have missed his post where he said the motor goes up if he hotwires it.

I agree with the others, it is most likely a faulty switch. Use an ohm meter to check continuity rather than cutting open boots or anything like that.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
check for voltage on the the yellow and black wire first (you'll need to push down on the master switch to get it light). If you get juice there, check the yellow and red wire at the switch in the same fashion. If you get a light there, you can rule out the switch.

I finally got around to working on this problem. I can get voltage on the yellow/black wire and the yellow/red wire... I swapped the driver side door driver window switch to the passenger side door and it didn't do anything. I also put the driver side driver window switch in place of the driver side door passenger window switch and it still doesn't work. It goes down fine but not up unless I jump it.

I guess I'll start looking for broken wires again -cuss

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mine did this the other day. Half way up the window decided it wasn't going up anymore. It would go down, but not up. First thing I did was I opened and then slammed the driver's door closed and the passenger side window went up just fine and hasn't screwed up since.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The really tuff part is replacing the window motors. You need to drill out the inside steel door panels where ford made the spot welds. Then a socket can reach in to the 3 bolts. They are either 1/4 inch or 10 mm... Can't recall... Have the window all the way up before you try to remove the motor and use some duct tape to hold it up. Otherwise its comming down in a hurry when the motor is removed. Also grease the window slide channels with some bathroom soap or door eze. I use the soap cause it gets into both sides of the channel easier. A good spray of WD40 or any non greasey sylicon spary helps too. These channels can be adjusted looser and tighter but... A tight shannnel wil burn up a new motor and a loose channel the window will rock back and forth in the channel. Just be careful what you do there...

philosophy

Reaction score
94f450sd knows whats up.

cut open the rubber boot in the drivers door jamb where the harness goes into the door.gaurantee youll find atleast 1 broken wire in there.if none do the same to the passengers side.not going up is a broken door jamb wire.

2 broken wires in clear view where boot meets driver door. THANK YOU and well done!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score

Crap! I forgot to follow up. That was my problem and six years later it's still working great LOL Thanks again!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just happened on a customers 03 explorer. Passenger window went down but not up.
Power probed it up and have an estimate for the bad wire I saw just inside the driver door jam.
Looks like Ford has not improved their door wiring haha

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online