Electric window swap

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to get all of the parts Necessary to put power windows in my 86, however, this may sound a little strange, but I only want to do it to the passenger side, and wire up a switch on the dash to be able to control it from the driver side as well. I would like to keep the manual window on the driver side. Our concrete trucks are this way, and I preferred over all other configurations. Are the plugs for the harness already there somewhere in the door? What all parts will I need?

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst case you can put in the window swap and wire up your own circuit with 2 relays and an (on) off (on) switch. I have to maintain a bunch of MINIs and they all have window and lock switches center mounted, so I copied that idea on my truck. Will post pictures and a wiring diagram for you in a bit when I get home near a computer.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is your basic diagram. I preferred the negative method because you'd be able to take an (on) off (on) switch and run any sort of ground wire to your common terminal rather than needing to send +12v to it. I have my windows setup on a 30a circuit breaker that is wired to the accessory position of the key so I can use the windows without running my fuel pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively if you got a momentary switch capable of handling the full DC current (an AC rated switch will get carbon fouling from arcing on any sort of higher current DC circuit and fail shortly), then you'd be able to skip the relays and do a simple polarity reversing switch using a DPDT (on) off (on) switch. Then just run a fused positive to your switch anywhere you want to mount it, ground it out, then run the two wires to the window motor. Polarity doesn't matter, if you press the switch up and the window goes down, just flip your motor wires or spin your switch 180* if you want to change direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.