Window mechanics compatibility

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a parts truck for the seats and the whole interior is in good shape and I was considering swapping everything but the dash. My truck has Manuel windows and locks but the parts truck is power windows and locks. Can the power windows and locks be swapped to the manual truck? How much of a pain will this be if it is possible? I assume that the fastening locations should all be there and the wiring harness should have the connections that are required to power the window motors and the actuator for the locks. The next issue could be that my truck is a 1990 and the parts truck is a 1993.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Older trucks like these were built with the wiring and connectors present but didn't actually have the motors and such. You can see if yours has them. The connectors will be under the kick panels on each side.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about brick and aero comparability but as Nero says the connectors are just chillin behind the kick panel, I had to put a manual door on my truck for a while and swapping it to electric was a piece of cake the bolt holes are the same just simply swap the regulator and crank out for the motor and regulator

Power locks are a bare as the power part is in the worst spot to work on But not impossible

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go the other way, rip out the Electric for Manual.
My buddy from Oregon is coming down in a couple weeks and getting a box full of that stuff.
Does it work? IDK, but he is getting it....:sly

Goat

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily want the power windows and locks. But my door panels need to be replaced and the parts truck has perfect door panels,but it has power windows and locks.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need to grab the wiring harness for the power windows/locks from the donor truck. It’s a standalone harness, separate from the other wiring. It runs behind the dash just under the windshield.

The bigger problem is going to be that the door panels from the 93 won’t match up with the dash from a 1990. I don’t know for certain, but there’s a good chance your door won’t close.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat right now btw. I bought a donor truck with nice, dent and rust free doors that I want to swap over. The donor truck has power stuff and my truck is manual. Mine are both bricknose trucks though, which makes it a little easier.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need to grab the wiring harness for the power windows/locks from the donor truck. It’s a standalone harness, separate from the other wiring. It runs behind the dash just under the windshield.

The bigger problem is going to be that the door panels from the 93 won’t match up with the dash from a 1990. I don’t know for certain, but there’s a good chance your door won’t close.
Do you know if the whole dash has to come out to remove the harness? I wasn't planning on pulling either dash because it is a pain. I had Allred wondered about door closure with the different door panels, will pull one today and install in the 90 to see if it closes before I go any further.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t pulled the harness on my donor truck yet, but I’m hoping I can just get the dash loose enough to reach behind it and grab the harness from the top. I do not plan to pull the dash on my keeper truck, I will just tuck the wiring up under the dash somewhere. To give you an idea of where the harness is, here’s a screenshot from a video that shows it on an OBS truck. Mine appears to be in the same place on my bricknose:

You must be registered for see images attach

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this thread motivated me to pull the power door harness out of my 1990 donor truck today. I’m happy to say it was super easy! It took me maybe 20-25 minutes total, and half of that time was spent trying to pry apart the electrical connectors for each door. I did not fully remove the dash, I just removed enough stuff to pull it forward a few inches. You have to unhook the parking brake assembly and lower the steering column, and of course the kick panels, but aside from that it was just 10 or so screws to get the whole dash loose. I haven’t hooked it up in my keeper truck yet, so I can’t comment on that part yet. I know I need to grab the breakers from the donor fuse box, but that’s all I know for now. Here’s a picture of the dash loose and the harness coming out, and another of the harness once removed. This is not something to be scared of at all.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this thread motivated me to pull the power door harness out of my 1990 donor truck today. I’m happy to say it was super easy! It took me maybe 20-25 minutes total, and half of that time was spent trying to pry apart the electrical connectors for each door. I did not fully remove the dash, I just removed enough stuff to pull it forward a few inches. You have to unhook the parking brake assembly and lower the steering column, and of course the kick panels, but aside from that it was just 10 or so screws to get the whole dash loose. I haven’t hooked it up in my keeper truck yet, so I can’t comment on that part yet. I know I need to grab the breakers from the donor fuse box, but that’s all I know for now. Here’s a picture of the dash loose and the harness coming out, and another of the harness once removed. This is not something to be scared of at all.

Well that's good news. I have been sidetracked by the rust in my floorboards. So now I am cutting floorboard sections out before I get back to the interior swap. But I hope the 1993 is similar to the 90 to remove that harness.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do realize that the switches for the windows and door locks are different between the '90 and the '93, right?
I know the interiors are different. And the 90 is Manuel windows and the plan is to try to swap the door panels from the 93 into the 90.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that the panelsfromthe'93 might hit the dash in the '90, but I'm not 100% on that.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the panelsfromthe'93 might hit the dash in the '90, but I'm not 100% on that.
Yeah I know that may be a possibility. I was planning on testing one of the door panels yesterday but then I ran into fairly bad rust in the floorboards in my 90. I will be pulling a door panel and testing the closure of the door before I go through the trouble of swapping everything.