Power windows

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to be a "Ford Weirdo" to get special rivets to reinstall the motors, maybe someone who used to be into Chrysler products. I would recommend nylock nuts on the bolts you use.
Local shop quoted me big bucks to change the regulator and use the correct rivets. It did it myself in about 1/2 hr with nuts and bolts

gandalf

Reaction score
I replaced the power window motor in my driver's side door. Its an easy enough job. I believe I used screws and nylock nuts. Works great. One problem I had was in removing and replacing the control unit in the door panel. On the surface an easy job. However, the wires on mine seem exceedingly short. As I recall, I had to pull it outward from the opening in the panel and turn it to feed back through the opening in order to remove the door panel. This prooved difficult because of the short wires. Wires kept pulling out of their connections.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! The G-forces!

Yes. At least it didn't quit while it was down.
I'm always nervous about opening the power sunroof on my 1985 Benz.
That`s a long cable from the SR to the Trunk Motor.
It is NLA, JY is your only hope,
I have 3 W123`s w/o a SR..love it.
Best SR is the one in the 300TD Wagons, it`s manual.

I hate electric windows, my Manual window winders in the 85 and 86 work every time.
You can use the 20V electric Drill Battery with some jumper wires to to check the Window Motor to see it it works.
I use one when I go to PNP to check Blower Motors, Electric Windows, Electric Seats, head Lights etc...
use a set of test leads from a free HF Digital Volt meter.
Cut off the ends and crimp/solder on some flat spades. Use it with my DeWalt battery.

Goat

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's crazy, tow truck, bronco, and dually have to have help to get up. Driver windows are legit, passenger windows want help. And I help the bronco back glass up and down, just because.
Funnily enough my problem is the exact opposite. Power window on the passenger side goes up just fine.

The driver side needs help going up, and will sometimes fall into the door depending on window position! Haven’t really done investigating into why and how to stop it yet

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough my problem is the exact opposite. Power window on the passenger side goes up just fine.

The driver side needs help going up, and will sometimes fall into the door depending on window position! Haven’t really done investigating into why and how to stop it yet
That's a symptom of the rubber plugs being partially disentigated.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those rubber balls in the gearbox are meant to be a safety feature. They squish and stop transferring power if someone fingers are stuck in the window. Some people replace them with ball bearings when they disintegrate, but you can buy the rebuild kit for like $12 on Amazon so I went that route.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak, got a link to those on Rock Auto? I can't get their stupid site to load today.
Dude, I ain't got a clue how to do a link, but the part # is Dorman 74410. And you can get a box of 100 for $11 if you can get rockauto to load. Look them up as "window regulator gear plugs" because they aren't anywhere in the ford section.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I gotcha.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotcha.

You sir, saved the day. And HEY, while I got you here, what is your avatar picture? Is that your IDIs flux capacitor? So as to compliment your turbo and 3G conversion?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's a photo of my desktop computer lol I decided I should have something there finally. Eventually I'll get around to uploading my truck info too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online