Turbo talk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If his pump is built to the 90cc spec he should have double the boost. I put together a 80 cc pump for a customer and his setup makes 17-20psi through an intercooler.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like your turbo is working fine. If the exhaust clears up toward 10psi, you're burning all the fuel the pretty well. To make more boost, you need more fuel.

Also, you said the wastegate actuator is disconnected, but it can still open if enough back pressure builds up behind the turbine. Is the wastegate wired shut?

Iirc, he tried a bungee cord. Not enough, imo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if I remove and tighten the wastegate and reinstall? I did bungee with no effect, on of the big full rubber ones. I changed boost guages with no effect I did notice it looks like my needle isn't sticking and kinda jumpy though

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a throttle cable test and I still have like 1/2 the throttle throw and cannot push pedal anymore. Throttle cable maxed out and the plastic sheeth on it is broken from trying to use full throttle. This is a parts store cable and not very old. Should I try to find Original one from a salvage yard? Somebody had said before the parts store ines are crap and this one stretched already I used fishing weights to pull the slack off it so no extra play in cable. Just won't actuate the pump correctly. Like something is out of place? Maybe the cable holder needs bent back to adjust it or pedal assembly needs moved back?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter new, I think I put my cable back into the wrong slot and it was in where cruise control cable would have been, going to test now but I think I will have full throttlw ability now

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive successfully added splitshot fishing weights to the cable to take up slack, just another thing to consider

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont know, my wastegate is unplugged on a 093 and with the factory pump maxed it'll boost to well over 15psi easily. I'm sure it opens up under enough backpressure, but something sounds off if your's can only do 10 psi

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a throttle cable test and I still have like 1/2 the throttle throw and cannot push pedal anymore. Throttle cable maxed out and the plastic sheeth on it is broken from trying to use full throttle. This is a parts store cable and not very old. Should I try to find Original one from a salvage yard? Somebody had said before the parts store ines are crap and this one stretched already I used fishing weights to pull the slack off it so no extra play in cable. Just won't actuate the pump correctly. Like something is out of place? Maybe the cable holder needs bent back to adjust it or pedal assembly needs moved back?

I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying here. Are you able to fully rotate the injector pump fuel lever with the throttle cable (via your foot)?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't doing it before but now it is and still nothing changed. It wasn't very far off of full throttle though. I made another thread I realized I kinda highjacked this one.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
It seems like you could use a simple throttle position sensor to deliver a signal to a small controller that would send voltage to open/close the turbo. Probably wouldn't work as effectively as the factory computer system that the newer trucks have but could work well enough
we have actuated the VGT with a push/pull spring set-up with decent results, others have done it with boost/ drive pressure and a pneumatic cylinder.... also on a side note, the cummins guys have found out the vgt units fail pretty quick if they are not water cooled as intended...

The only problem with a VGT is finding a place to physically install it under the hood of an IDI truck. The overall package is larger compared to a conventional turbo.

Making an electronic or even pressure controlled actuator is not too complicated. I keep chasing my tail on whether to try moving one of the batteries under the hood, or trying to remote mount the turbo under the bed.
wasnt there a member here several years ago that did a remote mounted 351 VGT under the pass. side floor of his truck with good results?

~1700 rpm iirc is where I cross the 10 psi threshold. 2000 RPM in 4th WOT seemed to be right around 15 psi. Over that I don't know because I only have a 15 psi gauge
right there is the cheapest way we ever seen to limit the boost...LOL

i had a TDI VW guy tell me something is wrong if i don't make almost full boost when just reving the engine. cookooLOL

he didn't understand why it would only make a pound or two and i tried to explain its normal but he didn't get it.

maybe since those turbos are the size of my intake piping they make boost just reving? :dunno
VVT turbos....

I have a lead on an HX40 non wastegated turbo for 175$, bit of a drive but seems like "enough" turbo for what I want. Cfm on these should be about 760. Should provide a decent starting point. I'm not looking to go for huge power right now. This is a work rig, needs to be as reliable as possible for as long as possible
depends which turbine housing it has, the HX40 with the t-3 started out at 16cm2 gated (up to 20-26cm2 non gated, and even bigger into t-4), so it would be a pretty decent fit, reasonably quick spooling on the 6.9l/7.3l, we tried it on our platform, it was pretty laggy below 1600rpm, but pulled like a mule from 2000 up to redline(36-3800ishrpm)..... if you are a work truck more than a sporty/dyno queen rig, tighter turbine housings will serve you better over-all....J&J

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbonator, I remember that thread.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/he351ve-remote-mount-turbo.55410/

I just finished reviewing it and came to the same conclusion I did back then; The electric oil pump is the achilles heel. The HX turbo he used seemed to work, but was also huge. I'm wondering if the powerstroke 6.0 turbocharger would be a little less bulky for an underhood application. Some guys have already started venturing into the territory of modified intake manifolds, so this might be a way to accomplish a conventional install of a VGT. There is still some room to spare on the rear of the engine.

I don't suppose anyone has a 6.0 powerstroke VGT laying around that they'd be willing to measure?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gt35ve is a tight fit, I can almost guarantee it’s not gonna bolt up to a conventional kit. Maybe with side mounting it behind the ps pump but that would require a fully custom kit designed for that turbo.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Turbonator, I remember that thread.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/he351ve-remote-mount-turbo.55410/

I just finished reviewing it and came to the same conclusion I did back then; The electric oil pump is the achilles heel. The HX turbo he used seemed to work, but was also huge. I'm wondering if the powerstroke 6.0 turbocharger would be a little less bulky for an underhood application. Some guys have already started venturing into the territory of modified intake manifolds, so this might be a way to accomplish a conventional install of a VGT. There is still some room to spare on the rear of the engine.

I don't suppose anyone has a 6.0 powerstroke VGT laying around that they'd be willing to measure?
the ford style VVT is not electro-mechanical actuated though, is it not? i thought they used a solenoid that used oil pressure inside the actuation housing with o-rings on the "spool valve" to pick its position..... but, they also used the sweet v-band connection, which is much better for tight spaces... i could probably cobble up a reasonably nice kit in a couple days just using some stock manifolds, if we had a ford....LOL...J&J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online