Turbo talk

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, I could *not* get a .83 housing to spool; it was sluggish and maxed out at about 10 psi with my setup. .63 gave me a snappy 25.
I had to buy the .63 separately, but I didn't buy my S360 new either - it was bought off a FTE member that hadn't used it.

I've seen some s200 turbos on EBay with available .81 exhaust housings, how do you think that would perform?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I've seen some s200 turbos on EBay with available .81 exhaust housings, how do you think that would perform?

I was also thinking about a larger trimmed s200 as im not interested in running very high boost in this truck. 25 is out of the question for this build but making 10 fairly early and wastegating it so it doesnt run higher is definately an option. Also, ive been seeing s362 turbos with no wastegate in the 500-600 range

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you search around and take your time you can get a pretty great deal on a turbo, especially around the end of racing season. I picked up my billet s366 sxe for $400 shipped to me last year, but I also knew the guy and knew he had hardly used the turbo that year.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking about a larger trimmed s200 as im not interested in running very high boost in this truck. 25 is out of the question for this build but making 10 fairly early and wastegating it so it doesnt run higher is definately an option.
So.. a Banks Sidewinder?
If you are looking for 10-ish, a sidewinder kit is perfectly sized for that. It'll also handle a stock IP pretty nicely.

ISPKI

Reaction score
So.. a Banks Sidewinder?
If you are looking for 10-ish, a sidewinder kit is perfectly sized for that. It'll also handle a stock IP pretty nicely.

Yeah I agree, but sidewinders seem to be hard to find and the ones that I have found have been fairly expensive. The last one I looked at was 1400$ with extremely rusted piping. I have a limited budget set aside for this truck and a 1400$ turbo that will likely need new piping aint in the wheel house. Especially since I have gobs of piping, flanges, and fabricating equipment that I would use for my own custom setup.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not planning on performing any turbo work soon, yet I would like to know what size intercooler piping would work with the stock 93-94 turbos. Would 2" allow decent flow to the intercooler? I'm planning on using a 2.5" mustang intercooler from CXR.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 2.5 '' would be just fine. thats what the hypermax intercooler piping is, and that is what i am running. I know one member things it is too small but i highly doubt it. I feel like the amount of flow ability of the piping is more than sufficent, even with me shooting for more than stock power.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Got in touch with an inside contact at Borg Warner. They ran a compressor map for my 7.3idi paired with an S200SX-E super core, 57mm inducer, 1.15 a/r twin scroll, non wastegated.

I still dont quite understand how to read these compressor maps but maybe you guys can weigh in on it.

This combination is offered by Jegs for ~800$

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You will have flow of some variant on the x axis and pressure ratio on the y axis. Flow is self explanatory, pressure ratio is just (boost+14.7)/14.7. So 1 pressure ratio is 0 boost. 14.7 psi of boost is a pressure ratio of 2.

14.7psi is the atmospheric pressure at sea level. Boost gauges read positive pressure of atmospheric pressure so 1 psi of boost is actually 15.7psi, its just 1 psi over atmospheric so thats what it reads.

Then you have your efficiency lines. The higher the better.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the 257 compressor map.

Good for ~22 psi max

S362, ~28psi

s369, ~44psi

Based on a 7.0l engine, 85% efficiency, at 3500 rpm's

Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score

Yep, that's the one. Theoretical 332hp/716ft/lbs max at the flywheel, although there are probably a lot of tweaks that would need to be added. Without studs, an S200SX-E 57mm would be plenty of fast spooling turbo for converting a factory non turbo 7.3. This would make 10psi by 2000rpm and hit 12psi shortly thereafter.