Turbo talk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much oil pressure does it need? If its oil pressure off the HPOP, then that would be a bust, but if all it requires is regular oil pressure then it could still be made to work using a standalone controller. And yeah, have no delusions of mounting it on any existing kit or pedistal. I'm just trying to figure out if it could physically fit in the space available on the rear of the engine. Heath already had to modify his intake manifold to accommodate the mooseboost upgrade, so I don't see it as such a big deal if some intake mods would be required.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gt3788r on a banks hot side requires that you either mod the intake or the cowl. I went the later route.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang...and I did have my cowl torn apart during the resto! lol

Is this from your build thread?
Yep. It’s in there somewhere. Should be right before I fit the front clip back on. Last summer maybe?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking on turbos subject never messed with one just recently seen a few on a retro race car.

Was curious if one bought a whole truck or just a turbo/turbos from a junkyard would they be super hard to test/rebuild is ur just a novice, also would it be cost effective instead of buying brand new ones.

Thinking a tweak here n there an maybe a new turbo style or setup was the $0.3 idea

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I've seen turbos that could work well on our trucks for as little as 100$ (holset hx40). That's just the turbo and would require custom piping but if you're handy, that should not cost much more. Compare that to new kits that can easily run you 2-3 grand. Big reason why I'm not buying a kit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another clip of the same truck on that same day, burning them into fourth. Need a good name for this truck so I can start a thread on it. This truck is the red headed step child, needs an appropriate name for thatLOL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a off road truck that was named bits N pieces.

it was a 1990 f150 and had a motor and trans from a 77 250 and a front axle from a 79 150 with 38'' boggers on the back and 33'' super swampers on the front.

if you don't like that name then i would go with Lucille. mainly because its an awesome song.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another clip of the same truck on that same day, burning them into fourth. Need a good name for this truck so I can start a thread on it. This truck is the red headed step child, needs an appropriate name for thatLOL

Why not project idi burn out since that is ur test truck n ur burning rubber, now since I've seen vids of burn outs does your passenger side start to hook first then the driver's side, mine does this n it's the og axel n tranny.

Wonder if we could spider gear aka weld a gear on these trucks for both tires hooking at once seen some rock/sand crawlers like this

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had a off road truck that was named bits N pieces.

it was a 1990 f150 and had a motor and trans from a 77 250 and a front axle from a 79 150 with 38'' boggers on the back and 33'' super swampers on the front.

if you don't like that name then i would go with Lucille. mainly because its an awesome song.

Those are some great names, and an even better song. Your 90 sounds like my old 81 blazer!

Why not project idi burn out since that is ur test truck n ur burning rubber, now since I've seen vids of burn outs does your passenger side start to hook first then the driver's side, mine does this n it's the og axel n tranny.

Wonder if we could spider gear aka weld a gear on these trucks for both tires hooking at once seen some rock/sand crawlers like this

On my na truck is does that, the ford limited slip is pretty lame, on this truck it doesn’t even try to work. Pretty much just burns one tire unless it’s going around a turn. I could weld the dif and may do it but the engine may not be in this truck long, but still a possibility

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen turbos that could work well on our trucks for as little as 100$ (holset hx40). That's just the turbo and would require custom piping but if you're handy, that should not cost much more. Compare that to new kits that can easily run you 2-3 grand. Big reason why I'm not buying a kit.

Those HX40 turbos are all over ebay cheap, since they go on Cummins diesels, but do they have an appropriate A/R ratio for our 7.3 IDIs? :dunno If they're a severe exhaust restriction, or won't make boost until 3000 rpm, another model might be a better fit...

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are some great names, and an even better song. Your 90 sounds like my old 81 blazer!

On my na truck is does that, the ford limited slip is pretty lame, on this truck it doesn’t even try to work. Pretty much just burns one tire unless it’s going around a turn. I could weld the dif and may do it but the engine may not be in this truck long, but still a possibility

If n whenever I get a donor truck I'm going to have it welded that way.since it will be a parts/play truck sort of like a big boy rat toy

kent01

Reaction score
What makes you say you need studs on the 6.9? Both engines have the same compression ratio, when studs become necessary is when you start building high boost levels with lots more fuel. Head bolts will stretch and head gasket failure is going to happen. If you want to build any serious power with an IDI, compression needs to come down, somewhere in the 18.1 range, cam timing needs to change, then better rods are needed... You. Can buy a used 6.0 or a 7.3 power stroke and have more bang for less bucks. Don't get me wrong guys, I like my IDI, they are tough long living engines, but 250 horsepower to the ground is all they are capable of without spending big money on them. It takes quite a bit $$ to get it up to 250 hp.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the problem that i have heard with people wanting to run hx35 on idis, they are too small for the 5.9 cummins guys so they upgrade to something bigger, now you put that on a 6.9 or a 7.3 and it is way to small. I have heard that the hx40 is closer to what a idi needs, but I would run a back pressure gauge to make sure you arent pushing too much drive pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online