Turbo talk

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I was talking with a Co worker today who has built several turbo setups for gas engines, cobalt, f150 with a 4.6 and later turbo charged a 5.4. He swears by external gating to control the turbo. He showed me a few videos of his f150 and it sounded excellent.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Are there different sizes to external wastegates? I know they can be controlled in different ways, I would likely aim for a simple spring force. Where would you actually mount the wastegate?

Also, on a side note, I've been researching blow off valves. Are they necessary on a diesel like our idi?

ISPKI

Reaction score
I have a lead on an HX40 non wastegated turbo for 175$, bit of a drive but seems like "enough" turbo for what I want. Cfm on these should be about 760. Should provide a decent starting point. I'm not looking to go for huge power right now. This is a work rig, needs to be as reliable as possible for as long as possible

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many sizes, you can’t go too big imo. Diesels don’t need a bov because there is no throttle butterflies

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But still only at 10 max, it also looks like oil is in my boost line could this be causing problems with it?

For what its worth, I didn't have good luck with that compressor setup either. Looking at the turbo map, it won't start to spool efficiently until about 3000 RPM on a 6.9. You have a 7.3, so more cubes than me, but I'm usually stuck at 7 psi with my 088/60-1 combo. I have more fuel to burn, but it just gets turned into smoke.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 is running similar set up to me and getting 16psi from it unloaded I belive he said. My 088 with stock wheel got 20psi your should be doing better I would think?

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why won't mine do 3rd gear burnouts?? I've got a 90cc, stage 1's timing at 7, intercooler, and factory turbo with banks housing and 60-1 wheel with banks downpipe and 4 inch exhaust and larger intake/filter?? Axle wrap is a factor on why I don't try burnouts often, probably won't try to do that as I don't want to see part numbers flying everywhere lol
Ok So I see I am late to the game as it is already 7 pages long, but I am in the same boat as you. Mine wont spin the tires. 285s may have something to do with that, but i have traction bars, and the truck in my sig. Only thing I am worried about is overboosting and lifting a head but still I dont feel like mine has the ability to light them up in 3rd. Maybe i dont beat on it enough!

I will also add my boost numbers for reference. I can cross the 10 psi at 1600-1700 depending on how hard i get on it, or do it closer to 2000+ I tend to try to boost in higher rpms usually 2200+ due to my worry of lifting a head. I also wont push it past 15 psi. I am also intercooled, and 15 psi is stupid easy to get to. Half throttle acceleration, 3 4 or 5 gears and I am pretty much sitting at 15 psi. that is also where i back out.
Boost pressure also is very dependent on engine load. If you hammer down at 1200 rpms you could be boosting 5+ psi (for a split second) vs my cruising boost of 3 psi at 2100 rpms.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 is running similar set up to me and getting 16psi from it unloaded I belive he said. My 088 with stock wheel got 20psi your should be doing better I would think?

I have no reason to doubt his claims, but at the same time, I don't know any one else running that on an ATS 088 setup.

I think the most I ever got with my 088 setup was 13-15 psi before the 60-1 setup. After that, I was capped at about 12, but I don't attempt that any more due to the amount of smoke above 7-8. There were no guarantees when I bought the 60-1 upgrade, so at least I can say I tried. But as of right now, I've pretty much given up on non-wastegated setups. Our diesel ranger uses a puny mitsubishi turbocharger and it spools great right off the line with no smoke. I want that in my IDI. If I'm smart, I'll get a stock/093 setup or sidewinder and call it good. But that VGT devil keeps whistling in my ear.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna play with it some more in the morning and see I'm thinking it could be timing I'm gonna retard it some and see what happens, also going to check fuel pressure at filter head even though I just change my lift pump less than a year ago

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before intercooler though I could hit ten at or before 2000 rpms but I cannot remember if timing was adjusted after that or before. But it would also drop off at that point and gain no more boost maybe 12 max by 3000

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it fer ya.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Also to note my 088 was in terrible shape doing this (before install it wasn't good) bent intake blade worn bearings and such but still would hit 20 psi. With my pump and injectors

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok So I see I am late to the game as it is already 7 pages long, but I am in the same boat as you. Mine wont spin the tires. 285s may have something to do with that, but i have traction bars, and the truck in my sig. Only thing I am worried about is overboosting and lifting a head but still I dont feel like mine has the ability to light them up in 3rd. Maybe i dont beat on it enough!

I will also add my boost numbers for reference. I can cross the 10 psi at 1600-1700 depending on how hard i get on it, or do it closer to 2000+ I tend to try to boost in higher rpms usually 2200+ due to my worry of lifting a head. I also wont push it past 15 psi. I am also intercooled, and 15 psi is stupid easy to get to. Half throttle acceleration, 3 4 or 5 gears and I am pretty much sitting at 15 psi. that is also where i back out.
Boost pressure also is very dependent on engine load. If you hammer down at 1200 rpms you could be boosting 5+ psi (for a split second) vs my cruising boost of 3 psi at 2100 rpms.
Timing and tuning my friend, I’ve done a lot of research with this by data logging and spending time on the dyno and the truck I showed the video of is an example of this. The timing is not at the conventional 8.5* and the fuel isn’t maxed out either to reach those boost pressures. The wastegate is not wired shut just adjusted. The truck puffs a little smoke out when you bog it but the turbo instantly lights and you have power. I’ve got the gearvendors kinda back on it’s bracket so I’ll try to get some more video footage together of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online