decided to straight pipe my exhaust!;Sweet:D

You must be registered for see images

i still need to go for a test drive.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
BTW, i should mention that the silver paint i used on my turbo, x-over pipe, & up-pipe is holding up GREAT. i was told that it would stink really bad and then peel off from the heat. i had none of that.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
it did but it didn't lol.

i had to cut the one left over pipe to make the exhaust fit when i first installed it. then i used the majority of the left overs for my intake. the short piece and the clean piece that is welded to the walker adapter is all i had left over. actually now that i think about it....the piece welded to the walker adapter is the section that i cut off my tail pipe when i put my exhaust tip on.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
took the truck for a short test drive........

thing sounds mean at idle and off idle. upper rpm's don't really sound different....whistle hasn't changed any amount worth noting. overall i am happy with the sound of it at idle and off idle. i am sure it is louder under throttle but being in the cab i can't tell.

Last edited:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I dont understand while people cut off such a good sound with a muffler there not loud an anoying as some say.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
there is only one problem with straight pipe is that i can no longer hear ANY cold side turbo whistle.:backoff

not saying i wish i hadn't done the straight pipe but the noise on acceleration is a bit obnoxious. it's not loud, but the tone of the exhaust is not my taste to say the least. I REALLY like the sound right around 1500 rpm, it sounds like a Cummins and you can hear the turbo start to spool up:angel:, but once you get up over 2000 rpm it just sounds like i am at red line. there is no in-between.

i have also lost about 3-4psi of boost with this. i am going to look into the WG more for that though.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roll up your windows and get on the highway lol j/k.
That is though the only time I hear the cold side and mine is very noticeable through the fire wall when the road noise drowns out the exhaust. Around town yah it's all exhaust pipe. -with a non upgraded cold wheel.
Didn't you put some sort of home brew intake on yours or were you still thinking on it? Not sure if I missed a pic some where.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
I like your thread and how you documented changes.

I am in desperate need of a new exhaust and would like to straight pipe. Just sucks for me that I do not have a welder or the skills to do that myself. Mine STILL has the stocker and the PO has it jerry rigged holding it up with an old dog lead, bailing wire etc.

I like turbo whistle but am interested more than anything with fuel economy and not having an annoying "drone" at highway cruising speeds.

My diesel TDI had the muffler removed for a long time and I loved it at idle and slow speeds but between 70-80 mph the drone killed me. Now I know that it is a different animal as the pipe is directly under the cabin so I would think a pick up would more bearable. Hopefully you and others will chime in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.