Turbo install

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Nooooooo I'm a heavy duty tech by heart!

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually really dig that air intake. If anything it's something you can have duplicated with some exhaust tubing if you'd like to remove those internal joint seams. How does the power feel?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I finished up around 7:30pm last night, and my #1 injector return cap started leaking, along with needing to adjust the IP I probably won't drive it til Wednesday

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Small update, I called CDD and asked if they had any stock air filter housings, and he did! So I'll have it possibly Thursday!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well, got to drive it today. I fixed the fuel leak, and welded a bung onto the crossover pipe near the collector, that's where Wes said would be a good place to put the egt sensor. I also adjusted the fuel pump 1/4 of a turn. Or, 1 and a half hex flats.
During the test drive, I did a few hard pulls from 3rd to 5th, and the most I could do was 5psi boost/750°f egt. Definitely feel an improvement, but I feel like I should turn the pump up a little more. Smoke was essentially nonexistent from the exhaust tip. Let me know what Y'all think about the boost/egt temps.

Oh, by the way... Have I mentioned I hate welding?
You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your EGTs will be less than if the EGT sensor was in the manifolds, so be careful if you are pushing 1200 degrees EGT!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Your EGTs will be less than if the EGT sensor was in the manifolds, so be careful if you are pushing 1200 degrees EGT!
Even if it's in the crossover next to the collector? I put it where Wes said it would be a good place. Boost still seems a tad low to me though.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want to be able to read the Exhaust Temperatures as the exhaust leaves the heads. This is the hottest temps you can read. Having the EGT sensor down around the crossover pipe is not the best representation for the EGTs.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The generally accepted rule of thumb is within 8" of the head. As long as it's within that 8", you should be good. Also, since I believe that it's also been said that the readings were 100* cooler right before the turbo, it should still be good even if the probe is 12" away from the head. There shouldn't be very much difference in readings where the probe's at.
I'm just amazed that the brass didn't melt away when the welding was going on.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The generally accepted rule of thumb is within 8" of the head. As long as it's within that 8", you should be good. Also, since I believe that it's also been said that the readings were 100* cooler right before the turbo, it should still be good even if the probe is 12" away from the head. There shouldn't be very much difference in readings where the probe's at.
I'm just amazed that the brass didn't melt away when the welding was going on.
The bung is about 10" away from the head, so I should probably add 50-100 degrees to what my reading is? The bung was actually a stainless steel fitting, not brass, that's why it took a weld so well.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Considering how far away it is on mine, due to where the ATS 085 put the probe port, you're probably doing ok.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Where is yours again? I don't actually remember...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The bung is about 10" away from the head, so I should probably add 50-100 degrees to what my reading is?
No It was said to add 100* if the probe is right before the turbo. I think you should still be fine with it 10" from the head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online