ATS 093 Turbo & SD intercooler install + exhaust recommendation

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recent radiator scare wasn't nearly as catastrophic as I originally thought, and I'm moving forward with my turbo install. I'm still missing some components for the turbo install, but wanted to put the intercooler in place before I bolted the turbo up.

The factory kit I purchased came with the crushed downpipe, and I'll be upgrading to the banks 52103 downpipe from Summit. Hopefully my firewall doesn't need TOO much encouragement.

I've also purchased an OEM Superduty intercooler (minus the intake spider) to put into my truck with the turbo. I don't weld, and will have to rely on my exhaust shop to supply any other required pieces for interconnect. Seems like I'll have to clock the cold side housing a bit to connect to the intercooler. I've been looking at "Tims I/C page" for a general idea of what I'll need to modifiy to cram that IC behind my grill. Granted my truck is a 1992, i think a lot of it will still apply. I think having the AC condenser in there complicates matters a bit, but I haven't seriously considered removing it ... yet. I'll have to consider relocating the windshield washer fluid / coolant overflow if I intend on sticking with the 6637 filter that came with the intercooler.

I've also asked around on the forum about EGT / boost gauges, and have decided I'm going to use a budget friendly digital solution. Quite likely this "Auber 2813 EGT/Boost kit."

The final concern I have is the exhaust after the downpipe. I really don't like how loud this truck is right now, and the harshness only seems to quiet down when the engine is under load while towing. I know adding a turbo will quiet the exhaust down a lot, but I'm seriously considering adding a free flow muffler. A local exhaust shop quoted me $300 for a 4" stainless exhaust from the downpipe back. An alternative would be aluminiumized exhaust at $200. Being in the rust belt, I think the stainless would be the safer bet for longevity. I was also quoted $80 for the 4" muffler.

I'll do some more digging on the IC install posts and report back.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing almost the same thing - I won't be installing an intercooler. I am also planning on the Auber kit. I have a factory turbo in great shape, just need a crossover and down pipe.

Last fall I installed a Dynomax exhaust (for NA truck) and hate it - way too loud. I am hoping the turbo will tame it down or I will install a real muffler.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently run a 4'' exhaust off a powerstroke from the downpipe back with muffler and I really like it. It is very quiet and yet has good sound, and flows well. So for another option you might look on craigslist for used exhaust systems, or even buy one for a 94-97 powerstroke (very similar to our trucks) and make it work.
I would also suggest doing away with tha 6637 filter. i know powerstroke guys swear buy them, but they are designed as a cabin air filter and flow less cfm than a stock powerstroke requires. I suggest a aem air filter, but their are other options that are also good.
I posted a while back where i relocated my coolant overflow and washer tank to. I used washer tanks for both and mounted them under the battery tray. one on each side.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/relocated-coolant-overflow.81428/
I think you will have plenty of room on a aero nose truck to intercool and keep ac. I did on a brick.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently run a 4'' exhaust off a powerstroke from the downpipe back with muffler and I really like it. It is very quiet and yet has good sound, and flows well. So for another option you might look on craigslist for used exhaust systems, or even buy one for a 94-97 powerstroke (very similar to our trucks) and make it work.
I would also suggest doing away with tha 6637 filter. i know powerstroke guys swear buy them, but they are designed as a cabin air filter and flow less cfm than a stock powerstroke requires. I suggest a aem air filter, but their are other options that are also good.
I posted a while back where i relocated my coolant overflow and washer tank to. I used washer tanks for both and mounted them under the battery tray. one on each side.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/relocated-coolant-overflow.81428/
I think you will have plenty of room on a aero nose truck to intercool and keep ac. I did on a brick.

Thank you for the suggestion to do away with that filer. IMO, the cowl induction is still primary candidate. I don't recall seeing any cowl induction / intercooled factory kits in the second link you provided.

Seemed like most of the factory turbo examples shown utilize an open filter. Only a handful ran the ATS housing. Seems like doing that would limit you to the passenger side of the engine compartment for the intercooler exit to engine intake pipe.

Thanks for the tips, I'll do some more digging.

I am currently doing almost the same thing - I won't be installing an intercooler. I am also planning on the Auber kit. I have a factory turbo in great shape, just need a crossover and down pipe.

Last fall I installed a Dynomax exhaust (for NA truck) and hate it - way too loud. I am hoping the turbo will tame it down or I will install a real muffler.

I'll let you know how the installation goes once I get my package in.

I'm probably going with a 4" and the biggest muffler I can reasonably afford.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know of too many kits that are cowl inducted and intercooled. I think it is a great idea to try and use a pressurized area to feed the turbo (boosting your boost!) But I am not a fan of them, but I guess that also largely has to do with my hating the ats turbo/factory turbo airbox. It is way to large for my liking, is in the way for doing maintenance, and I dont like the look. Plus imo that thing is a heat sink heating up incoming air, but I doubt it makes much difference in power 1-2hp?? idk
Personally I love my r&d intake, 3 clamps and it is out of my way. but that is me.
I dont see how it really limits you, but then again if you are having to pay someone to weld, you want it to be as efficient as possible. I think it is really whatever you want to make it do. my suggestion is buy a $100 piping kit off ebay and use it for your bends. I mean if you get all of the pieces mocked up, you really could run it anyway you want. It just takes getting creative in how you like it, ease of flow and routing, but also ease of serviceability.
It also might help if you look into getting a different intake manifold. that may or may not help how you can route the piping.
Just some rambling thoughts. Dont know if it helps ya

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a hat made by typ4, a universal intercooler piping kit, 2.5 inch was a tight squeeze by the radiator with minimal cutting, 3 inch is possible but will require some extra cutting. The cx racing cooler 31x12x3 if I recal. Ic0022 maybe? And a couple reducer boots. Intercooled for less than 400$. The universal piping takes some creativity but if no welder it's a good option

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the next batch of intake hats now.

Is there a preferred kit on eBay that has good boots? I see the hump boots being used often. However have read complaints about the cheap boot quality.

I also intend to use the superduty pipes I already have. 3 inch seems like the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly just bought a universal piping kit with boots and clamps and I used 2.5 inch piping on mine, 3 inch maybe better but I'm not certain on that. Mine haven't been installed long so I couldn't tell you about how long they will last. My clamps were good and boost seems like they shouldn't have any problems, very firm rubber with some sort of fibers inside the rubber. Nobody really told me certain kits were better than others though you usually get what you pay for. The intercooler I got was recomened on here but piping was just mentioned as universal ones and boots.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For airflow, if you add the obs powerstroke style bumper with cut outs you will be surprised at the difference. I bought the plastic insert from rock auto and cut my bumper, worked well.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For airflow, if you add the obs powerstroke style bumper with cut outs you will be surprised at the difference. I bought the plastic insert from rock auto and cut my bumper, worked well.
I'll look into that! Friend of mine is trying to talk me into adding a winch. Sure would have helped when I got the truck stuck on ice.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are a bunch of enablers.

In other news, I found my mysterious coolant leak! The water pump decided to be the slow and silent type. Was much less apparent during the winter months but it only seems to leak during engine cooldown. I really should have changed it when I replaced the front main seal... ohh well!

Intercooler piping also arrived yesterday. Missing an intake hat and mounts for the FMIC!

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I jumped head first into the air filter rabbit hole. Decided I wanted a Donaldson with a peak flow around 900cfm. Problem with that is the size! That's ignoring the 6 inch inlet and outlets.

Am I missing something here or are commonly used intakes very restrictive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online