Questions for the diesel gods

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 86 f250. 6.9l with a turbo from a 94 7.3l installed. The turbo is mounted on the driver's side between the coolant recovery tank and engine, directly over the driver side exhause manifold. A turbo engineering intake horn mates the turbo to the intake. The down pipe appears to be a 2" custom job. Maybe 2.25" I haven't measured. It rubs on the front driveshaft.

Question 1: what aftermarket down pipe will fit without rubbing?

The CDR has been deleted which I've read is a good thing due to it causing higher egts in 7 and 8 cylinders. It steams like a tea kettle when warm but the amount of oil dripping seems minimal.

Question 2: how much is too much steam from RDT?

The drivers side of the engine is covered in oil residue. I unplugged the valley pan drain so no more pooling in valley pan but there's still a drip. (Less than a quart per week) it appears that the leak originates from around the rear (firewall) of the motor and my best guess is the head gasket.

Question 3: I'll post pics later this afternoon but is it likely for the head gasket to leak small amounts of oil such as I described above and if so could this also be the cause of the next question.....

I notice that under normal acceleration I get extremely little blue smoke (or none) but if I accelerate using about 1/2-3/4 throttle a puff of blue is evident at first then clears up. Intake is totally free of oil, as in no oil evident in intake. No oil in compressor side of turbo. No oil dripping from exhaust. Have not pulled apart exhaust closer to engine to see if there is oil upstream anywhere. It is also important to note that the passenger side of the motor is completely dry with zero apparent leaking anywhere.

Question 4: how much blue is too much and should I worry? If I need to change my head gasket is there a link to a write up?

Vac boost master is leaking between reservoir and... Ummm... Big round thing the reservoir is attached to. (What a noooob!)

Question 5: is there an o-ring or gasket between them that I can replace or is this a sign of failure and need to be totally replaced??

The steering has a mean soft spot in it. I've gotten used to it so driveability is fine but I'd like to tighten it up if I can. She has new tie rod ends, left and right. New u-joint in steering shaft.

Question 6: what steering components can be adjusted and how-to.

I'm sure there's more questions but those are the pressing ones or the ones I am most concerned about at the moment. Thanks in advance and if pics are needed please let me know what you need pics of so I can upload specifically.

Chris

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. There is no aftermarket support for that turbo kit design

2. These engines have a ton of blowby even new, if it’s dripping oil and not just vapor you may have an issue

3. It is possible, but more likely the valve cover gasket is leaking

4. You shouldn’t have any smoke, sounds like the injection pump probably needs timing or rebuilding

5. Sign of failure, I like to replace both as a unit

6. Steering box can be adjusted but it sounds like it needs replacing to me

Eighty_six

Reaction score
1. There is no aftermarket support for that turbo kit design

2. These engines have a ton of blowby even new, if it’s dripping oil and not just vapor you may have an issue

3. It is possible, but more likely the valve cover gasket is leaking

4. You shouldn’t have any smoke, sounds like the injection pump probably needs timing or rebuilding

5. Sign of failure, I like to replace both as a unit

6. Steering box can be adjusted but it sounds like it needs replacing to me

Thanks for the speedy response! The oil on the RDT is very sticky which leads me to believe it's oil condensation from the steam.
I'll replace valve cover gasket and see what's what.
Is there a way to tell if the IP needs timed or rebuilt?
I'll try adjusting steering box and see if it solves it, if not I'll replace.

As for the down pipe. Is there anyone running a similar setup? I hate that it rubs and worry about cracking something because I live a half mile down a dirt road that likes to beat cars and trucks into submission. Maybe a short section of flex pipe to get around with more clearance and to prevent cracking of welds etc? I wish I could go to 3" but I just don't think I have the clearance.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you get pictures of the turbo and manifold. The only manifold mounted turbo for a 6.9/7.3 IDI was an Air Research/RayJay turbo kit. The RayJay used a replacement manifold that mounted the turbo off the drivers side of the engine, and a crossover pipe from the factory passenger side manifold to the other end of the replacement manifold to bring the exhaust from the passenger side. Then a tube and a hat connected the cold side to the intake.

What you have sounds like something cobbled together from various turbo setups. The other “Big 3” turbo kits (Banks, ATS/Factory, and Hypermax) place the turbo on top of the engine near the intake and all the piping runs up the back of the engine.

RayJay Turbo:
You must be registered for see images attach

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Can you get pictures of the turbo and manifold. The only manifold mounted turbo for a 6.9/7.3 IDI was an Air Research/RayJay turbo kit. The RayJay used a replacement manifold that mounted the turbo off the drivers side of the engine, and a crossover pipe from the factory passenger side manifold to the other end of the replacement manifold to bring the exhaust from the passenger side. Then a tube and a hat connected the cold side to the intake.

What you have sounds like something cobbled together from various turbo setups. The other “Big 3” turbo kits (Banks, ATS/Factory, and Hypermax) place the turbo on top of the engine near the intake and all the piping runs up the back of the engine.

RayJay Turbo:

That's what I have. But the turbo is from a 94 7.3
And the down pipe is a custom job.
I'll post pics when I have better service.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Here's a pic of the turbo layout from the top view. Manifold and down pipe are fairly self explainatory based on the turbo location. Everything's on the driver's side. Crossover pipe from passenger side is in place, downpipe goes into 3" exhaust that let's out Midway between passenger door and rear passenger wheel (side exit)

Eighty_six

Reaction score

RayJay Turbo:

So I would need a ray-jay down pipe? Where can I find the elusive ray-jay? Does anyone have any experience with these DPs? Do they rub?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray jay down pipe will not work because you are not using the turbo from the original kit. I don’t believe the manufacturer is still around anyways, you are looking at just making a new dp to get the clearance you need, or modifying what you got

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Ray jay down pipe will not work because you are not using the turbo from the original kit. I don’t believe the manufacturer is still around anyways, you are looking at just making a new dp to get the clearance you need, or modifying what you got

Thanks much! I might just lift the truck, or level it. Then try to fit a 3" DP in there. Or do some hippy s*** and try to get it up over to the other side somehow. Not sure I'll stare at it for awhile and consult back if I need to!

I'll look into the other stuff too. Maybe I'll pull stuff apart this weekend to see where my oil is coming from. I know I need a trans pan gasket. It leaks a little too. Where are most folks going for gaskets etc? Is Napa ok or do I need to hit up a Ford/ih dealer?