7.3 Diesel Transmission Adaptor Plate

divemaster5734

Reaction score
To keep a long story short, I've found myself in need of the adaptor plate for a 7.3idi to ZF542.
I know the part number is 1800475C1.
Doing a search that includes the engine/transmission year has limited options.
That said, doing a part number only search shows these plates listed for 88-91, or 95-03.
They look like the identical part.
The ring mount for the starter on mine is missing, broken off 1/2 way through the top bolt hole, so I have no reference other than pulling up pictures on the web.
I can't see any difference between the two year spreads advertised.
I know there's been modifications to parts for these engines, with the newer parts usually being better quality as well as easier to procure.
My obvious question, does anyone here have any insight on what, if any differences there are?
I can't imagine Ford redesigning a part that wouldn't fit on previous models and leaving it the exact same number.
All the changes I've found have been upgraded assemblies that are still backwards compatible, like the clutch master/slave, where the original stuff was plastic to '91, then braided steel hose and steel master from '92-'97.
Hoping to order the plate asap, but don't want to wind up having to pay a restock and return shipping fee if they are different.
Thanks

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're all the same. 83-94, C6, T19, ZF5, E4OD, THX-1138, etc. The Ford transmissions that attach to the diesel engine all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, really similar to the big block bellhousing, but not quite.

This adapter plate is really becoming a "thing". This is twice in a month!

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Appreciate the confirmation!
This engine transmission swap/conversion is several "first's" for me, that the donor and mod trucks are 34 and 35 years old, with inconsistent listings and upgraded parts bolting on only adding an unexpected quandary.
Thank you.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ALL run into this when "updating" our trucks and other old vehicles. Finding the right parts is HARD. Finding part suppliers might be the easiest way to do this. 4wheelparts.com is where we could find Jeep parts. Maybe there is one or two suppliers for our IDI parts.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@divemaster5734 I can definitely tell you that the powerstroke adapter plate is completely different than the IDI plate. You can use anything from 83- early 94. The 94.5- 03 are totally different. I have no idea why the part #'s are the same, but the parts are definitely different.

The powerstroke doesn't even actually use an adapter, it is just a spacer plate which is only used on the e4od and zf5. The zf6 bolts directly to the block without a spacer.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no idea why the part #'s are the same, but the parts are definitely different.

The powerstroke doesn't even actually use an adapter, it is just a spacer plate which is only used on the e4od and zf5.
Yes they are different. The ones for the Powerstrokes are aluminum from what I remember.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
At a glance, they look like the same thickness. That's about all I know about them.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Just compared the two, the powerstroke adapter is thicker. If you were closer I'd give you one of the many I have laying around for an idi if that's the one you need. Don't have a spare for a powerstroke, but plenty of spares for an idi.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
I'd be willing to pay for your time and shipping.
I ordered one that's on the way, but I don't know if it will fit.
Once it's in I'll mount the starter and see how it works.
Is the a PM feature on this forum?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7