Power Steering Pump

gandalf

Reaction score
Is there any better/larger/more powerful power steering pump for my truck ('92, 7.3) than the Saginaw? I converted the brakes to hydroboost a while back, but they're still not as good as I think they should be. The truck, btw, is running a v-belt system.

A neighbor, currently finishing some major work on his 7.3 '03 truck, suggested a larger PS Pump. Is there one available, and would it help with the brakes?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also curious about this...

My 86 had power steering issues, since it has vacuum brakes, I simply swapped to manual steering, no complaints there, this truck is very light for a 4WD extended cab diesel pickup.

I just put a reman PS pump in my 91, which has hydroboost. It is definitely noisy, but the brakes are amazing! Better than our newer Dodges at work. I am in awe at how good they are. But this truck is an F-Super Duty, so it has huge disk brakes front and rear. I have read that it is possible to convert to a Saginaw pump, but I am yet to figure out all the details, it appears bracketry is an issue...

I have also read that getting a new PS pump, new not reman, has satisfied many people.

There are upgraded C2 pumps out there that use Saginaw internals, but they cost slightly more than a Saginaw pump...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hydro master bore is too large to make the drums happy. I file the mounting holes for the original MC and it stops waaaaay better.

gandalf

Reaction score
Russ, I just sent you a PM on FB before I read this. The hydro bore is too large? Mine is marked at 1 5/16. The vacuum unit it replaced was 1 1/8. Re the mounting holes, do you mean the holes through the firewall? I don't recall having a problem. The 4 studs slid right through and tightened down. Is it possible that I have a poor hydro unit?

Attachments

• DSCF9285.JPG
    DSCF9285.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a post somewhere on the forum on this, I did decently extensive testing on the hydro boost setups for these trucks swapping different steering gears, pumps, etc. The best performing pump which i now run on each of my trucks is the Edelman 6014R designed for the 99-03 F350. Bolts right on and is meant for hydroboost including the extra return.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gandalf, have you checked to make sure that your rear brake shoes are working correctly? There was a thread a while back about how many of them were cast incorrectly, causing them to only slightly expand and not grab the drum with enough force to provide stopping power. I ask because I swapped to hydroboost and felt a huge difference, I can lock up the tires easily.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the thread about brake shoes:

gandalf

Reaction score
The rear brake adjustment is a good and a valid point. Its something I'll have to check. As nearly as I can tell from my records I adjusted them about 18000 miles ago. Maybe its time to look again. If its a question of not expanding enough to properly grab the drum I should be able to see by the wear pattern on the shoes.