Questions for the diesel gods

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Tighten your Vacuum pump belt if you haven't already. Is loose

Good eye!!! You're right. I replaced all the belts when I got it and haven't re-tightened after they seated. Running a business and doing the single dad thing is pretty crazy at times but I'll do it tonight!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have much to add, but it's a really interesting turbo setup. Locally on OfferUp there is a lady that posted that same turbo setup, I thought it was some hack job goober that tried to run twins straight off the manifolds or something but she only posted one manifold/turbo setup and no name or any other parts. This finally answers that question!

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I dont have much to add, but it's a really interesting turbo setup. Locally on OfferUp there is a lady that posted that same turbo setup, I thought it was some hack job goober that tried to run twins straight off the manifolds or something but she only posted one manifold/turbo setup and no name or any other parts. This finally answers that question!

I thought it was some redneck masterpiece (which I'm totally cool with as long as it works. I've had many of my own jerry-rigged schemes that functioned perfectly) but from what I've read online and heard on here they just don't market this setup anymore. It needs tweaking but I've got to get my pyro hooked up before anything. No idea where it's running at temp wise right now. I have a bung on the dp but not on the manifold from what I can tell.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can you get pictures of the turbo and manifold. The only manifold mounted turbo for a 6.9/7.3 IDI was an Air Research/RayJay turbo kit. The RayJay used a replacement manifold that mounted the turbo off the drivers side of the engine, and a crossover pipe from the factory passenger side manifold to the other end of the replacement manifold to bring the exhaust from the passenger side.
NOPE. I've seen one turbo kit like this that had Hypermax cast into the pedestal that the turbo mounted to. Only one, but I did see it.
3. It is possible, but more likely the valve cover gasket is leaking
I doubt that the head gasket could leak oil at all. Since the pressurized oil comes up into the head through the push rods, the only time that oil passes through the head gaskets is when it drains back towards the oil pan under gravity feed only. I'd lean towards valve cover gaskets and/or rear main seal. It's hard for me to tell exactly where the fresh oil on your crossover pipe is located at in relation to the engine. I was thinking oil cooler until I looked at the picture again and saw where the oil filter is. It looks to be more towards the center of the engine than the oil filter/cooler.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
IDIBRONCO thanks for explaining that to me. Rear main seal is certainly one spot I plan to check. The area just below valve covers isn't oil soaked, it seems to start around the area of where it would leak if it where coming from the head gasket. Not sure what else could be leaking back there.

Like I said before though. I'll pull some stuff out of the way this weekend and try to pinpoint it once I can clean and see what's what.

I appreciate all the responses so far!! Anymore .02 cents anyone??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can actually think of a possible situation that could make it seem like oil is coming from the head gasket(s). The rear of the valley pan is sealed with RTV only. If it was ever removed, it's possible that it didn't get sealed correctly when it was put back on. If it happens to be leaking right where it meets the head, maybe oil could seep out there and run down the head gasket making it appear to be leaking oil. I'm not saying that this is what's happening, just that it's a possibility. I'm not sure that I've ever seen or heard of this, but I don't see why it couldn't happen.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I can actually think of a possible situation that could make it seem like oil is coming from the head gasket(s). The rear of the valley pan is sealed with RTV only. If it was ever removed, it's possible that it didn't get sealed correctly when it was put back on. If it happens to be leaking right where it meets the head, maybe oil could seep out there and run down the head gasket making it appear to be leaking oil. I'm not saying that this is what's happening, just that it's a possibility. I'm not sure that I've ever seen or heard of this, but I don't see why it couldn't happen.
That makes sense.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks. I always try to explain things so even a fairly mechanically challenged person can understand, but I'm not always able to.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Thanks. I always try to explain things so even a fairly mechanically challenged person can understand, but I'm not always able to.
Good thing I'm not terribly mechanically challenged, just not up to par with my diesel abilities. I'm a quick study though and appreciate those who are willing to teach.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was talking down to you. I don't know your abilities and didn't mean it wrong. Some people aren't very mechanical and I was trying to explain why I write things like I usually do. You didn't sound upset, but I'm explaining for anyone else who may read this.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing I'm not terribly mechanically challenged, just not up to par with my diesel abilities. I'm a quick study though and appreciate those who are willing to teach.

I'm a more than passable wrench, but like you don't have experience with diesels. I very much appreciate the willingness of the folks here to share their vast amounts of cumulative knowledge. You've come to the right place friend!

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I'm a more than passable wrench, but like you don't have experience with diesels. I very much appreciate the willingness of the folks here to share their vast amounts of cumulative knowledge. You've come to the right place friend!
Some forums are full of down-talking and bickering. Not this one, so far I've seen very little nonsense and that's why I chose to post my questions and become a member.

As long as the rain stays in the clouds I'll be doing some leak searching this evening. I'll post up when I find it or if I have any further questions.

I looked online for brake master cylinders just to get an idea on price and they range from about 15$ to 40$. Can anyone help me with a brand that they recommend?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online