Banks Turbo Install - Turbo and Pressure Chamber Not Lining Up

swald

Reaction score
@Lawrence Koepke
Your aftercooler comment piqued my interest. I don't want to hijack this thread but i would definitely like to see pictures.

MJGenay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I try to make it to Taylor Park every so often.
It's a great place, we went ATVing up there once, did a little swimming in the reservoir. On the chilly side. I'm sure you already know this but there are some great trails to the north east of BV.

So, virtually everything is installed. I'm still missing a stud for the side bracket which should be here tomorrow. Exhaust and down pipe need to be installed but it appears the downpipe will fit. Beyond that its just the pyrometer and boost gauge and I'm good to give her a go.

Getting the bolts on the oil return line was a nightmare. Literally two hours to get two bolts on... getting the collet nuts to hold the turbo onto the casting weren't much easier.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a great place, we went ATVing up there once, did a little swimming in the reservoir. On the chilly side. I'm sure you already know this but there are some great trails to the north east of BV.
There's no way that I'd try to go swimming there. It would be too cold for me and the swim probably wouldn't last as long as it would take me to change into and back out of my swimming trunks. I'm a member of a Facebook group that's pretty much based around Denver. Every June they like to have a riding/camping trip to Taylor Park. I've been riding south of BV, but not north although I do know that there's some trails there.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...BTW, since you don't have the turbo in, be forewarned that the removal of the factory sound proofing is going to increase the noise in the cab substantially. I ended up pulling the turbo, and, using paper patterns I created, added soundproofing with layers of 1) fiberglass mat, 2) sheet lead (roofing supply, 0.040" thk),3) fiberglass mat,and 4) aluminum tape layers. I used pieces of aluminum weatherstripping stock to hold the fiberglass and lead to the top of the firewall tunnel. The whole process was tedious, but well worth it. My truck is now quieter inside the cab than when it was new... with the HVAC fan on inside, I can barely hear that old diesel, and most of what I hear is the exhaust from the low restriction system that comes in the kit...
When I bought my 1993, the PO had already installed a Banks on it (it was a factory turbo), there isn't any soundproofing on the firewall so I have nothing to pattern off of.

Did the soundproofing cover the entire engine bay side of the firewall or only right behind the turbo / heads?

Engine noise used to not bother me, but now I'm doing a lot more long distance towing triis with a travel trailer, it gets tiering.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The factory soundproofing pretty well covers the whole firewall between the HVAC box and the steering column or maybe it's just close to the clutch master cylinder.

MJGenay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, she rips. Got everything buttoned up and started her up yesterday evening. Had a couple electrical issues because I'm a moron and shorted something out - blew some fuse links, but after fixing them she seems to be running well.

I didn't richen up the IP pump as directed and I'm still throwing some smoke when I get on the throttle before the turbo spools or when its just idling. May end up fooling with that in the future but I'm going to feel it out for a few days.

Even with the firewall acoustic shield gone she is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as my '15 F250 6.2 but that thing sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than an engine. It's almost surprising, but I guess my metric is "driver window open a couple inches, no panel on passenger door" and fixing that stuff seemed to make a hell of a difference in noise level.

Still need to get the boost gauge and pyrometer installed in the cab. The damn boost gauge is frustrating. The plastic hose coming out of the pressure chamber is... delicate. I've already leaned on it and broken it at the outlet ~3 times.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The smoke at idle may be timing or it may just be cold air temperatures. The smoke under operation doesn't sound like it's too far off. Smoke before the turbo spools is always normal since you don't have enough air to burn the fuel that's going through your engine. Now comes the fun of driving it around to see how it does at higher elevations than you're already at.

GerryL

Reaction score
Hmm okay. I'll start doing some research into the timing. Yeah, I think I may take it up to Tennessee Pass today if I have time.
I highly recommend checking timing. I too had smoke, backed off IP until it reduced but then had no power. I got the instrument to time it, and found that it was almost 20 BTC at idle! Way too advanced. Previous owner had just had all glow plugs replaced, so I was happy I got timing set before they were toast.
When you do get everything tuned, I think you'll be happy. The only smoke I get is maybe a puff on a cold start. I'm happy with the power. Oh, you reminded me about those turbo mounting nuts. You have no idea how many times I dropped them while laying on top of the engine during all my test fitting/horn grinding. Of sourse they didn't make it to the floor. I finally piled rags under it and made a cardboard catch tray so I could retrieve them easily. lol

MJGenay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend checking timing. I too had smoke, backed off IP until it reduced but then had no power. I got the instrument to time it, and found that it was almost 20 BTC at idle! Way too advanced. Previous owner had just had all glow plugs replaced, so I was happy I got timing set before they were toast.
When you do get everything tuned, I think you'll be happy. The only smoke I get is maybe a puff on a cold start. I'm happy with the power. Oh, you reminded me about those turbo mounting nuts. You have no idea how many times I dropped them while laying on top of the engine during all my test fitting/horn grinding. Of sourse they didn't make it to the floor. I finally piled rags under it and made a cardboard catch tray so I could retrieve them easily. lol
Understood, I'm looking into that now. I'm still wondering if the smoke on startup is the IP/ engine running rich. My thought process being when I picked up this truck in Vegas it gave one puff of black smoke on startup then the smoke disappeared. Nowadays on a cold start it smokes out the neighborhood (okay maybe that is a little exaggerated).

At any rate I'm also looking into potential glow plug system issues as starting is hard when cold (below 30 but above 20, haven't even bothered trying below 20 as I don't think it'll start without being plugged in.). If I don't plug it in, "wait to start" is lit for about 10 seconds, then I have to give it full throttle when cold while cranking until it catches. Strange thing is that WTS light lights up whether it has been running for 2 hours or it hasn't run in two days. At any rate I should just start another thread about this once I nail down some solid questions.

MJGenay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple photos of the truck. Last is kinda a joke... we like to joke about how the view from our grocery store parking lot can beat out a few national parks.

Flatbed still needs to be modified. Planning on mounting that spare tire somewhere on the headache rack probably, then moving the tool boxes to under the flatbed. I'd like to put removable stake sides on the truck, probably something like 12-16". Idea is I can either load it full of crap or I can pull the sides off so a forklift can drop a bunk of lumber/pallets on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg