Turbo install in progress

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after waiting what seems like forever I started installing my turbo. My internet connection (satellite yuk) is horrible. It took me 40 minutes to get to the new thread page. Oh well back on topic.

So far everything has gone very easy. Things that are done;

Turbo installed. Had to play with the intake and exhaust housing clocking to get everything to fit but it wasn't hard.
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel line rerouted away from turbine inlet pipe. I just happened to find a single port return line cap on one of my spare motors and swapped it. I put a tee inline between those injectors for the return line crossover.

Wiring harness rerouted around the front of the intake manifold under the throttle and cruise cables.

Turbo oil line feed connected to back of drivers head oil galley. I probed the area for sediment in the oil galley and was pleasantly surprised that it all came out grit and gunk free.

Adapter plate made for glow plug relay. This screws onto the bracket that holds the top of the oil dipstick. The relay then bolts onto it. Rerouting the harness put all the wires near here so it will all bolt back on without any wiring modifications.

Rather than bend down the body seam on the firewall I cut out a section of it to make space for the exhaust pipes. I am pleased with the space available there now.

Downpipe is almost done. I took a 2 1/2" header flange and ground it down to fit on the factory turbine outlet v-band. I then cut the flange section of the header flange off and welded it to a 2 1/2 to 3" reducer which I had cut down to be super short. The total lenght of 2 1/2" pipe is about 3/4" before it goes to 3". I then started working on getting the flange angle to downpipe relationship right so that the pipe will fit down the hole when bolted to the turbine outlet. I would have been done with this part by now but I am working alone and it's very difficult to position the downpipe and get measurements at the same time. As such my 3rd attempt got me almost there so it looks like a 4th attempt is inevitable. Probably another 30 minutes on this.

Another shot with the downpipe very close to where it need to be.

I still need to fabricate the exhaust once the downpipe is complete. I have a 3 to 4" reducer and some 4" exhaust pipe as well as a 4" over the axle pipe I got at NAPA.

I also need to make a modification to my valve cover to mount the CDR. I could run a RDT but I don't want to. I figure it would require a hole somewhere as well so I'll just figure out a way to make the CDR work. If anyone has a nice version of this that they want to share that would be great.

I am planning on running it initially with the IP the way it is until I am sure everything is working properly. Then I will turn it up some. I am saving my Moose Pump for when I get a new motor built up.

So after a few more items are knocked out it should be running again. I haven't been able to work on it today due to a Migraine but it is about gone so I should be able to get back to it soon.

Wish me luck.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Why not rout a RDT into the exhaust now while you have the exhaust and down pipe out. Go to your local parts store and buy a Moroso crank case evac kit. its like $45, and you'll have an extra one you can sell on here to someone.
Seriously, it may put out a small haze out the tail pipe at idle, but other than that its all a bonus over running the CDR recirculation system. That oil vapor, when condensed on the compressor wheel, is much harder on it that pieces of dirt going through it.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that an ATS 093 turbo?

It's a factory Ford unit so yes basically an ATS 093 with more restrictive exhaust housing.

Why not rout a RDT into the exhaust now while you have the exhaust and down pipe out. Go to your local parts store and buy a Moroso crank case evac kit. its like $45, and you'll have an extra one you can sell on here to someone.
Seriously, it may put out a small haze out the tail pipe at idle, but other than that its all a bonus over running the CDR recirculation system. That oil vapor, when condensed on the compressor wheel, is much harder on it that pieces of dirt going through it.

I may explore the RDT avenue but was thinking "oil is fuel" so the less that exits the engine the better. I'll probably make a vapor catch can with a drain on the bottom. I think I'll do this whether I go with a CDR or RDT.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good luck man, its probably best to take your time and do it right ;Sweet. You will have to post up when its all in, and you turn the pump up some (trust me it'll call for you to do that :D). It'll be a whole new beast ;Sweet

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you do a body lift on this??? Im almost ready to install my turbo. I got my 2" body lift. Id like to install before the turbo gets installed. One less thing to do. Must have been a challenge to cut that body flange off to make room for downpipe... looks tight. Good work on the progress so far :thumbsup:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool pics, i am curious how you re-routed your wires. mine didnt seem long enough to do that with so i just swapped over the engine harness from a turbo truck. i thought they were all the same, apperently they are not.

jimraelee - after just going through this myself a couple of weeks ago do the body lift first! it will make fitting the up-pipes in soooo much nicer.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look'n really good man! Soon you'll be whistling down the road and your truck will "feel like a new mistress":D:love: with that air stuffer on there!

Heath

RedTruck

Reaction score
Nice job. Thanks for posting and keeping us updated.

Paul

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the exhaust is done. What I learned is that the over the axle pipe has too much rise from the inlet side and causes the exhaust to hang lower in the back than I would like. This is tolerable but not what I had envisioned. In the future (phase 2 perhaps) I will be cutting a section of pipe out of the over axle pipe to get the inlet up higher.

The downpipe proved to be a pain up until the end. I should of just purchased the ATS downpipe and modified it. As it sits it should be fine.

I did not do a body lift. With that seam cut it's not necessary IMO. Cutting the seam was not difficult. I used an air powered angle die grinder with a 3" cutting wheel and just followed the body seam from the bottom. I had a spotter up top to make sure I wasn't cutting into the firewall itself and just ran it. Took maybe 10-15 minutes. There was plenty of room the get the tool in there and make the cut. I think I may go back and weld the cut area. I plan on removing the interior carpet and replacing it so I'll do that then.

My initial elation at the harness fitting with the GP controller moved proved to be a bit premature. It's very close but in order to truly make everything look nice and be functional I'll have to extend the GP relay wires a little. Sorry if I made anyone feel they had done something wrong. There is absolutely no chance I'll be able to find a turbo harness around here. I've not even seen an IDI in a junkyard locally.

So I am left with extending a few wires, mounting the airbox and CDR, making the dipstick tube for the transmission fit, and then firing it up. It will be running this week. Good thing too as I need to haul the trash off. Living in the country has it's advantages but trash pickup isn't one of them.:puke:

My son decided he wanted to help work on the truck. At 2 1/2 he managed to hang some wrenches off bolts under the truck and he cleaned my exhaust for me.

zpd307

Reaction score
my boys have looked like that more than a few times. i dont know, maybe they think there is a hidden treasure inside. its funny how they always seem to rub their face afterwards.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Nick Butts has some competition! LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great man. Gotta love the kids helping you out. Heidi also trys to craw under the truck/Yukon with me when I'm doing the oil or whatever. I love having her under there with me. Now her Mom has a different opinion on the subject......:D

Heath

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work... Yes kids involved are nice... few years back my youngest daughter helped me swap engines in my GrandAm.... It was an awesome experience she will never forget... we talk about it often.