Turbo install in progress

zpd307

Reaction score
soon enough, i will 3 sets of little fingers to help with all my little projects. my oldest, 3 in nov, is finally mastering the use of wrenches and screw drivers. i have to watch out now because he can actually screw things out now. if i was on my home computer i could dig up an old pic of us up in the engine compartment changing oil/cleanng the egr valve in the old psd, when he was about 9 months old. i should put that on my to do list for tomorrow before work.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it running today. First thing I hauled a truckload of stinking trash to the dump that's been waiting for me to finish the truck.:puke:

Lets just say I am very happy with the improved power and the 3 to 4 inch straight pipe sounds amazing. I have plenty of turbo whistle coming out the pipe. It is audible nearly all the time. I just cannot believe how good it sounds so far.:hail

The road I turn on from my street has a light grade to it and before when I would give it moderate throttle I would be @ 50 coming over the top of it. (mind you I am starting from a dead stop about halfway up the hill) Today using much less throttle I was closer to 60 at the top. It is definitely pulling much stronger.

I did a 0-70 acceleration run on my way back and my highest EGT was around 900*. I used to reach 1100 empty doing the same thing.

Now the bad news. My 1 year old IP was heat soaked and wouldn't start the truck just now.:mad: I have changed my filter on schedule and used either Diesel Kleen or Lucas in almost every tank since it was installed. I have put around 16,000 miles on this pump. This was an International reman pump.

The good news is now I will have to install my Moose pump. I was hoping to save it for the new motor I am going to build. 6.9, lowered compression yada yada... But it looks like I'll be needing it now.

So all in all I am pleased with the turbo install.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised but the fun is over already. Before I go any further let me just explain that I take 100% full responsibility for this problem and am not blaming anyone but myself.

I rebuilt my turbo back in February. I did it myself and was extremely careful to check, double, triple or more all my measurements and verify everything was in spec prior to assembly. What I couldn't check was the trueness of the turbine shaft accurately. I checked for runout with the turbo assembled and it was nearly imperceptible even with a caliper. Maybe .005 if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, as I was driving to a friends place to pick up my horse trailer and have dinner I heard a sickening noise. It sounded like a zipper at high speed. Shaft wobble in the bushings. I now need a new turbo. After the initial zip noise it turned into a metallic spinning noise. I limped it the 18 miles home but am pretty sure it's now just a core. I don't even want to think what might have gone through the motor but that's a big part of the reason I put the turbo on this motor and not the new one. I had some concerns about my rebuild and wanted to try it on this motor. Turns out they were real concerns after all.

I will be buying a rebuild this time. Lesson learned.

At least everything is installed now so it will be a simple turbo swap.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I'd just send it to a qualified turbo shop. i'm thinking worst case scenario is you need a whole new center section. Will set you back $300-500 depending on where you go. I doubt the motor got hurt. Fordguy100 had a similar problem back around Christmas. It was worth a try I guess.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I opened up the intake and guess what I found sitting on top of the air cleaner?? The nut that holds the compressor wheel on. I would imagine that if the turbine shaft stopped suddenly it might cause the nut to come off. Ouch!

You must be registered for see images attach

This was a brand new compressor wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

After doing a little more checking it occured to me that everything was dry. Too dry. So I decided to check the oil line. Bone dry.

This is where I ask how to sign up for the ******* awards.

Apparently there was nothng wrong with my turbo rebuild until I ran it without oil for 18 miles. I am really pissed at myself for this. The galley plug I tapped into is apparently not on the pressure side. I even told myself to verify this a few days ago but then it slipped my mind.:rtfm

So if you have any kind of insults you feel like tossing out now would be the time.:frustrate

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ooooooooooooooo you learn ALLOT more from mistakes than success. it can be fixed, no need to go into my ******** stories:angel:

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you tap into the oil galley??

Back of the motor on the drivers side. It is actually in the head. There was oil there when I took the plug out. Apparently it was part the drain.

I thought I had it right but didn't double check with anyone so all I can say is oops.

suv7734

Reaction score
D'leg,

That suxxx :mad: I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You're a BIG man for posting this so that others following behind you can learn from your mistakes :hail I hope it's not too expensive to repair and you can get back on the road soon. Here's a pic of the oil port location on the left side of the block (behind the exhaust).
Good luck

Bruce

Attachments

• oilport.JPG
    oilport.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 14

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D'leg,

That suxxx :mad: I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You're a BIG man for posting this so that others following behind you can learn from your mistakes :hail I hope it's not too expensive to repair and you can get back on the road soon. Here's a pic of the oil port location on the left side of the block (behind the exhaust).
Good luck

Bruce

Thanks for the clarification on the oil location. I will move the oil line prior to doing anything else.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep your chin up, as mentioned, you might get it rebuilt locally for cheap... check it out and make some calls...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online