To continue project or??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is in no way badmouthing either guy. Make certain to check your valve clearances before final engine assembly. It's better to find out that there's not enough clearance before you run the engine. It will also never be easier to pull back apart than when it's on the engine stand.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about as well but really hoping I can figure out how to do all this, I know my fair bit of stuff and I did auto classes every year of high school tearing down and rebuilding various small motors and been working on my trucks since 16 but never accomplished a full motor build with custom internals yet. Looks like that’s gonna be happening soon though, my friend is asking 200$ for a running idi everything attached motor looks clean.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’m worried about as well but really hoping I can figure out how to do all this, I know my fair bit of stuff and I did auto classes every year of high school tearing down and rebuilding various small motors and been working on my trucks since 16 but never accomplished a full motor build with custom internals yet. Looks like that’s gonna be happening soon though, my friend is asking 200$ for a running idi everything attached motor looks clean.
Just gp really slow, checking everything 3x writing all the steps down can help organize your thoughts and make sure that you don't miss anything.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about buying another car/truck so you could drive something reliable while you fix your truck?
This is how I ended up with all these trucks hee hee

But you've come to a forum that is made up pretty much entirely of people that have made the commitment to keep their trucks (plural mostly) and so we are all enablers hee hee.

To someone on the Rust Belt, most of your post has me in tears.

But being an enabler, truck hoarder, rust fighter aside, I also think you just need a breather, and it looks like you have already done your pros and cons list and I don't see a good argument for selling.

I have been in same spot, where you ask yourself, JFC, when does it stop? But then I remember the recent sticker shock my husband and I had when we went shopping for a new F450 last year and I realize that even if I spend $100 a month here and there on parts and a few hours of my life, it beats the crap out of parting with $80+k of hard earned savings, plus insurance, plus Ford's diesels aren't impressing anyone right now

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know my fair bit of stuff and I did auto classes every year of high school tearing down and rebuilding various small motors and been working on my trucks since 16 but never accomplished a full motor build with custom internals yet.
You'll have plenty of advice on this part right here.:Thumbs Up

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, page through the tech articles, come to some rallies, do a million searches, ask your questions when you can't find answers. This forum is unique in that it is a no internet fighting nonsense place. The members seem to genuinely want to help others and keep these trucks on the road.

They're user friendly trucks. There's not much you can do to permanently disable them, and even then, I bet many here could even figure a way past that as well haha.

I spend a creepy creepy amount of time searching through here. The amount of knowledge freely tossed around is insane.

So don't sell. We all float down here

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep it and fix it. You know it.
You just have to start over if you get a different one.

Note to the rest of us....time to check the sealant in the cowl area below the wiper linkage. I found it failing and beginning to rust on my 96. Bet that is where my leak is on the 91.....Next on the list when I get the 96 on the road.

I think my truck has this leak also. Floor gets wet in a rain. Like really wet.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the “new” motor is free! If I pull it anyway. It sounds fine but sat for 5 years it seems to run alright but the moisture and grey stuff on the oil fil cap concerns me some. Idk what I’m getting myself into but the truck says 300k motor runs Alright doesn’t have a rebuild sticker on it so it’s likely the mileage on it. My guess is at that mileage it’s gonna need a lot of internal work done which is kinda what I was hoping to skip over and basically build a lower mileage short block and only be changing out valve springs for a r and d cam and re-gasketing the motor, basically a budget build as i don’t have the funds to do a full blown built rebuild.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know "time is money" but at that price I don't see what you have to loose either. Yeah it might need more work than you're hoping for but if you're going to do gaskets anyway its worth the chance to take it apart and see how it looks. Worst case you're out a couple hours of time and no further in the hole than you started.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have another option however being a single father I cut my hours back at work to raise my daughter while she’s little, so I don’t make a ton of money, I claimed my taxes to take max out of paychecks as a sorta of “savings account” so around February time I’ll be getting a good some of money to potentially use some in my truck I have some left from last year also so maybe I could limp along for a while and try to wait for someone’s completed project motor to come up for sale I’ve seen a few where they couldn’t find the build anymore and sold the rebuilt long block to recoup their losses some. Here’s a picture of oil dripping from my hood for entertainment lol

You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know "time is money" but at that price I don't see what you have to loose either. Yeah it might need more work than you're hoping for but if you're going to do gaskets anyway its worth the chance to take it apart and see how it looks. Worst case you're out a couple hours of time and no further in the hole than you started.
I might pull it out of the truck and at least take parts from it, it’s got a serpentine system and a working pump and injectors on it so it’s worth a few dollars in parts, won’t hurt to take it apart I’m just not sure how to get it out of my truck when I get it home I’m lacking a engine stand and engine hoist so I’d have a 1000lb anchor in my bed for a while lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s any motivation/consolation, I very nearly scrapped my truck as I was struggling through the body work. My cab was a lot worse than I thought originally. Eventually you become “pot committed” as they say. The little I know about your truck, it seems too good to give up on if what you need is a 4 door vehicle and you like it. Take $250 to HF ( maybe less with your coupons) and get a cherry picker and 2000 lb engine stand and go to town.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s any motivation/consolation, I very nearly scrapped my truck as I was struggling through the body work. My cab was a lot worse than I thought originally. Eventually you become “pot committed” as they say. The little I know about your truck, it seems too good to give up on if what you need is a 4 door vehicle and you like it. Take $250 to HF ( maybe less with your coupons) and get a cherry picker and 2000 lb engine stand and go to town.

Yes, what he said.
And if it helps, I'm jealous of your pretty i/c pipes and bumper!