To continue project or??

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve had this truck for 7-8 years now it’s served it’s purpose as a 600$ 125xxx yard find, over the years I’ve put tons of time and parts at it from skyjacker lift kit to turbo from Russ and fuel system from r and d almost considered a build now I’ve replaced damn near everything or upgraded at least once but last weekend attempting to fix a leak into my cab so my new carpet would stop getting wet I found some more rust but in a terrible location in the firewall behind the pedal assembly, cowl and dash nothing like the rust belt area with giant holes but in my area rust means the truck is basically crush value if resold. Long story short I need a new cab because at some point even with the fire wall re enforcing plate the clutch master cylinder is gonna be in the engine bay( again). I just don’t know if I got the resources to complete the task currently I’ve got the skill but also a single father working full time with 100% custody so I don’t have a whole lot of spare time at the moment. Maybe a cab swap isn’t so bad? Maybe I should wait till tax time and buy another crew cab 5 speed truck and swap my stuff onto it, but that In itself would probably be as much work as a cab swap. Cabs are only like 1-200$ around me rust free for a bricknose truck, but of course while it’s off I’d want to do other things like reseal the turbo system and run wires better. Probably 3k in parts added to this truck currently over 8 years now and at 190k

You must be registered for see images attach

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a '91 CC XLT (ZF truck) that I'm trying to sell. I know shipping will be some $ but it's a rust free TX truck with title ...
It's white. In Market Place search for "Several IDI's for sale"
Willing to "make a deal" to keep her out of the crusher.
Send me a PM if your interested.
Good luck and I hope that you find a way to save your project

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's how I see it. You have A LOT of blood sweat, tears, and time into this truck now. Honestly, for what the truck is, $3000 plus the original $600 for the purchase is not very much at all. How much would another, newer truck cost you? 190,000 miles is NOTHING to one of these trucks. Do you like the truck? Do you just want to get a newer truck? If you like this one and don't really want a newer truck, then I say to keep this one and fix it. A cab swap isn't all that hard to do. It is time consuming though. My vote is to keep this one and fix it.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's how I see it. You have A LOT of blood sweat, tears, and time into this truck now. Honestly, for what the truck is, $3000 plus the original $600 for the purchase is not very much at all. How much would another, newer truck cost you? 190,000 miles is NOTHING to one of these trucks. Do you like the truck? Do you just want to get a newer truck? If you like this one and don't really want a newer truck, then I say to keep this one and fix it. A cab swap isn't all that hard to do. It is time consuming though. My vote is to keep this one and fix it.

I understand that it seems like a daunting task. Down the road, you'll regret parting with it. By now, it's nearly a part of you...

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Keep it and fix it. You know it.
You just have to start over if you get a different one.

Note to the rest of us....time to check the sealant in the cowl area below the wiper linkage. I found it failing and beginning to rust on my 96. Bet that is where my leak is on the 91.....Next on the list when I get the 96 on the road.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would keep limping along with the truck you have while you shop for another with less rust. Gas and IDI ones do come up cheap. The other ones have powerstroke tax.

That's a good price for a 4 door cab. I've done cab swaps (2 door) and i dislike it. Its extremely difficult to get the project back together in a timely manner. Also consider what that means for the VIN number... I forget what its attached to.

Another option, if you are setup to weld.... get a driver's firewall/floor section cut from another cab? Or make a cardboard template from a stripped out cab at a wrecking yard; transfer it to new steel. Tearing down one corner of the truck for a splice job is less work that gutting a whole cab for a swap.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternative would be waiting tax time and buying another crew cab bricknose 5 speed idi truck and transferring most of my stuff like the lift and tires and aftermarket stuff onto it, the rust is in the cowl area, and basically down the firewall around all the important stuff like from e brake to throttle pedal assembly and everything between and the clutch already did the pop threw the fire wall thing years ago, someone tried welding there and blow some holes in it before I got it as well. If I did sell it I’d be pulling all the aftermarket stuff as well for the next project and the tires only have like 500 miles on them not even paid off yet lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This contraption has been holing my clutch for 6 years now

You must be registered for see images attach