So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh come on now. Just price it at $30,000 or maybe $40,000. I'll bet you'd sell it for either one of those.
There's no replacement for my truck, with everything I've done to it, it's my unique Frankenstein. Plus I know it will make it cross country if I wanted, other vehicles are just unpredictable until you go through them.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no replacement for my truck, with everything I've done to it, it's my unique Frankenstein. Plus I know it will make it cross country if I wanted, other vehicles are just unpredictable until you go through them.
I agree! Anyway if you sold it, you'd be "6.0 and loving it" and we'd kick you out of the cool club!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I agree! Anyway if you sold it, you'd be "6.0 and loving it" and we'd kick you out of the cool club!
Over my dead body. I don't drive my truck enough to justify the change. Besides, slow and steady wins the race, right?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today she idled a little rough, it was a 16 degree F cold start no block heat but I’m not used to that. Normally as low as 10 degrees she fires right off and idles smooth but today was the exception, rough idle and hazing until warm which I guess is “normal” but I’m not used to that.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Captain, you have a manual Toggle for your GP`s?
If so, after she starts, give her another 6 sec glow, wait a few sec and give her another shot. She will smooth out. You are giving her an after glow. She needs the heat.

It`s a Diesel, when cold, sounds like crushing rocks or Pistons trying to swap holes.

Ya we were down to 14 when I started her yesterday morning. One lil puff of smoke, and maybe some lite haze, later some water vapours.
I disconnected the fast cold idle, don`t like a cold engine racing. Been like that for quite a few years.

Goat

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Captain,
You may have a dead glow plug. That is how I know my plugs are starting to go out. She starts great, and then when one plug goes, she will still start right away, but has an obvious miss for a few seconds and cheeches a bit of white smoke until that cylinder warms up enough for proper detonation to occur. Every time it does this, I find at least one dead glow plug.

That said, On Sunday, I hooked the big trailer (24' Enclosed Car hauler - 10K lbs) to the old girl for the first time since I rebuilt the motor this spring. It did wonderful. 60 mile round trip from Springfield to Bolivar and back, up and down MO #13, which those of you who have been through the region know that is not a flat route by any means. I never needed to shift out of Overdrive on any of the hills. The truck maintained 70 mph on the flat sections with throttle to spare, and only dropped to 62 on the steepest hill. Peaked at 11 psi of boost, and 950 deg F EGT's. Ambient air was 45 degs, so coolant temps were never a concern. Seems to be a bit of room to turn the pump up if I so desire.

Last edited:

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try manually after glowing that could be the solution. I have 8 motorcraft ZD29s installed that tested good just 3 weeks ago so I doubt that’s it and again it’s not terrible it’s just never been anything but perfectly smooth.