So what did you do with your truck today?

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this yesterday, not today but I thought I would post it. Hauled a case skip loader for the neighbor. As close as I can figure I was at 29,000 pounds rolling down the highway. I am really happy with the power my engine is making now thanks to Wes. And the dually conversion I finally did a couple weeks ago makes a huge difference with these heavier loads
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set the timing yesterday and did the initial test of the brake harness. One side works one side doesn’t, 50% more than expected. When I’m done running the truck today I’ll close the garage and turn the heat on to start figuring it out.

At the moment though, when it runs I heard a high pitch metal squeal something to do with the throw out bearing I think. This is a new SMF kit. If I just barely touch the clutch it goes away. On the latest heat cycle from a bit ago though I shut the truck cause the sound is changing and getting progressively worse. It’s grumbling now but not like gear rollover. I’m gonna pull the slave and fork and look inside.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was supposed to go visit a friend and his wife yesterday. That fell through so I stayed at home nursing my sore thumb. I was bored enough to day that I HAD to do something. I decided that the firewood I have here at the house may last 1 1/2 weeks and it's supposed to get cold Tuesday night so I decided to get some more from behind my garage. Of course since I was going there anyway, I decided to cut down a smaller tree that didn't survive the drought that we've been in for about the last 1 1/2 years. That didn't get much wood, but I made up for it. The tree gave me what's on the driver's side in the picture without much wood in the bed. What was on the passenger's side was some branches that I had cut off of my oak and walnut trees by my garage.
The last time I was cutting wood at a friend's house, he was cutting some 3"-4" branches at about 1/2 throttle with my smaller saw. I have no idea how long he'd been doing it, but when I noticed, he had some smoke coming off of the chain. I was afraid that it was probably no good so I had to use that saw first to see. Unfortunately, it was pretty dull. I'm going to take it off and throw it away because I'm assuming that he took all of the temper out of the chain. I guess I get to go buy another chain tomorrow.:dunno

Attachments

• 102_3531.JPG
    102_3531.JPG
    554.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_3532.JPG
    102_3532.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_3533.JPG
    102_3533.JPG
    392.3 KB · Views: 7

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
e, he was cutting some 3"-4" branches at about 1/2 throttle with my smaller saw.:dunno
Doesn't that just drive you nuts! I've had people come check out a mower , set it at half throttle, engage the blades, and expect to be cutting grass. Then they'll say it seems weak or it's not cutting the grass well or something, but I've dealt with just about every conceivable personality selling riding mowers. THROTTLE IT UP PEOPLE! GIVE IT THE GAS!!!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are, why is the back of the throw out bearing chewed up? The fork only goes on one way. I think what ever is happening must be part of the noise. Could the high pitch squeezing be that the throw out bearing is just barely touching the fingers? I assume there was fluid in the trans for my initial test, I guess worst case based on the symptoms (no noise clutch disengaged, noise engaged) is that there is an internal trans problem. I picked up 4 bottles of Mercon. ZFs don’t usually go bad like that though.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are, why is the back of the throw out bearing chewed up? The fork only goes on one way. I think what ever is happening must be part of the noise. Could the high pitch squeezing be that the throw out bearing is just barely touching the fingers? I assume there was fluid in the trans for my initial test, I guess worst case based on the symptoms (no noise clutch disengaged, noise engaged) is that there is an internal trans problem. I picked up 4 bottles of Mercon. ZFs don’t usually go bad like that though.
I really don't know if it's"normal" or not. The ZF5 in my dually makes allllllll sorts of noise. I assumed it was the "roll over" noise everyone discribes. The ZF5 in my tow truck doesn't make any sound except the bad synchronizer between 3-4. And I don't know what flywheel I have in either one, I didn't know there was a difference until after I joined oil burners.
It "seems" like your throw out bearing should be closer to the pressure plate....... maybe?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Drove across town to pick up some snow tires for my samurai, every time I go to a tire place I always get at least one person asking if I'll sell my truck, and it's always a firm no thank you.
I then went to the in laws and helped them take the camper off the idi I built them. They've never owned a camper and essentially chaperoned them on how it is removed.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the throw out bearing spins and slides fine, greased a few points, I’ll drain the fluid tomorrow in the trans and see what it looks like. Whatever the noise is it was rapidly getting worse. When there’s ghosts in the machine you either find them or they find you. Worst case I’ll be learning how to rebuild a zf5 which wasn’t on the current schedule but would be interesting. There’s very few things that only make noise clutch engaged.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
every time I go to a tire place I always get at least one person asking if I'll sell my truck, and it's always a firm no thank you.
Oh come on now. Just price it at $30,000 or maybe $40,000. I'll bet you'd sell it for either one of those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online