1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Little Foot

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by onetonjohn, Jul 8, 2019.

1. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

it is a little hard to see but i looks like the ring gear has rust where it interfaces with the pinion. you can put some marker on it and check the pattern. if the pattern looks good and is not hitting the rust area you should be fine.

if it is hitting the pitted area and it is not to deep i would probably run it. i would want to keep an eye on the oil though. check it here and there for shiny sparkly stuff in the oil.

2. onetonjohn

onetonjohn Full Access Member

Well I got new bearing, races, seals, and brakes for the rear axle (best I could get at NAPA). Anyone want to take a stab at how much? Holy pile of do-do batman. I had to ask the parts guy to add it up for me again. I couldn't believe it would come close to $500 bucks. That pretty much blows my build budget for a little while. I still need to pick up a bushing set at energy suspension and see if I can get it will 1" body lift (to make more room for turbo), but it's got to wait a little bit now.

3. hacked89

hacked89 Full Access Member

Nice progress. Our build plans almost line up exactly between our trucks. Things can definetly get pricey I hear ya but it's worth it in the end doing things the right way. I had to order 500 bucks of pre fab sheetmetal for mine last week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. The_Josh_Bear

The_Josh_Bear Full Access Member

Yeah I hear you there! I swapped rear axles to 3.55 gearing and my "$100" axle cost another $300 in just brake hardware!! $160 of that was the drums but still! Not cool. Stops pretty good though. :D

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Whoa is more important than go!

The_Josh_Bear likes this.
  6. onetonjohn

Finally got it inside and can start assembly at my own pace - no longer junking up the yard. That said, the shop is a little (way) cramped now, so need to get this thing back together. Working on my motorcycle this week, but next week I can get back on it. Prob ably lots of questions coming. Here's how she sits now.

20190908_094124.jpg

hacked89 likes this.
  7. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Almost finished! :D

Selahdoor likes this.
  8. onetonjohn

Maybe by next year? Hope so.