Project Big Red

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See, my 2nd favorite is my king ranch combo.
Numero uno is the ruby red metallic with tan 2 tone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody call for two tone?

It was a lot more work to go with two colors, but I had my sights set on recreating the original look. And yeah, the bright red can attract some attention...I had to chase a few wasps away the other day.

As for pinstriping, I used pro-strip multi-color "truck stripes" product. Not identical to OEM, but close enough that it still works well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad almost bought a new 91 that was bright red. It had a dark graphic along the bottom body line and a black pin stripe. It was my fault he picked the maroon and silver but for good reason. I caught the fact that it didnt have cruise on the test drive. That and something else that I can’t remember. It was a deal breaker. That is sorta my inspiration for what I’m considering doing. This is the inspiration for the current build.

Still miss her. She was no hot rod but she loved to whoop up on a 305 chevy. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip report.

Hooked up and ready to roll. Got the inner fenders on and the tonneau. Looks like a different truck. Anyway, I pulled the Hilton (as my buddy called it) across 68 to WV. Truck did pretty well with a couple exceptions. She ran warm a little bit through one section. EGTs were completely manageable. Downshifting let me get the boost up around 20 psi giving me 950 ish EGTs flat on the floor. That’s good. The bad part is on the long moderate grades, water temps would creep up pretty warm. We were 240 at least once according to my gauge. I’m wondering how accurate it is but it tracks fairly well with the factory gauge. Overtemp sensor is in the stock location and never turned the light on. It cools down pretty quick so it’s not heat soaking the radiator, but it is a little worrying. Pulled all the mountains across there 60-65. Could have done more but no need really.

So there’s that. Now the not so great thing. Pulled into the truck stop. Fueled up. Noticed there was something all over the back of the truck and front of the camper. Damn. My first thought was engine oil. Go pull the dipstick. Nope. Still full. Climb under. Damn. Trans fluid everywhere. Quick inspection has the tail housing slip joint seal hanging on the shaft out of the case. Damn Damn. Okay. Grab tools. Tap it back in solidly. Fill case back up. Yep it was about empty. I have no idea why it did that. The seal tapped in firmly when I installed it. I stopped several times to check it. Stayed in place the rest of the way. Hopefully it didn’t run dry too long. Second leg tomorrow. Hopefully it will be relaxing and uneventful.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s odd mike. About the coolant temp, when you first shut it off and checked the oil did it seem really hot under the hood? Reason I ask is the ambulance seems to have a heat soak issue in the engine bay with the air just not being able to escape. Rad is doing its job just seems to not be able to get air out well. Gonna be adding some hood vents to help it. Food for thought.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume Sideling Hill was one of the mountains. Climbing that mountain @ 60 - 65mph with that camper is something to crow about! Heck that's about all I can muster hauling a slide in camper up that hill! It's a looong drag. I forget, what's your rear gearing?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume Sideling Hill was one of the mountains. Climbing that mountain @ 60 - 65mph with that camper is something to crow about! Heck that's about all I can muster hauling a slide in camper up that hill! It's a looong drag. I forget, what's your rear gearing?

I’m running 3.55’s. I’ve learned a few things. I get why people want the 4.10s. My power band in OD is at 70-75. With 4.10s I’d be more like 65-70 I’d guess. The plus side is that I can drop to 4th and run 60-65 no sweat.

Sideling hill is tough. I actually find the section from Hancock to Cumberland harder than the big mountains. On the big ones (Big Savage, keyser ridge, ***** etc.). The pulls aren’t as steep really but it’s a continuous up hill. That’s where I was having issues with water temp. But I never dropped below 60 on any of them.

Truck has run great so far. Towed down I-79 to Weston then across 33 to Elkins. Plenty of hills. Coming back, I never downshifted out of OD.

Hopefully the final leg home will be uneventful.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not "the biggest" but "some of the biggest" mountains we have on the east coast are located right in the area you're driving through. I've hunted east of Elkins, around Spruce Knob, Bickle Knob, Dolly Sods, etc they're big for east coast, ain't nothin compared to out west however certainly a worthy test for any pickup pulling a camper. Good luck and enjoy the scenery it's a wonderful area!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not "the biggest" but "some of the biggest" mountains we have on the east coast are located right in the area you're driving through. I've hunted east of Elkins, around Spruce Knob, Bickle Knob, Dolly Sods, etc they're big for east coast, ain't nothin compared to out west however certainly a worthy test for any pickup pulling a camper. Good luck and enjoy the scenery it's a wonderful area!
That’s my old stomping grounds. My uncle has a camp at the foot of Dolly Sods on the Harmon side. We camped on Gandy every summer when I was a kid and fished Spruce knob lake a good bit too. We went to the Elk River in Randolph/Webster county. Great time. Fishing was great. Weather was good up to Friday night. It drizzled rain Friday evening. Rained light all night. Then picked up Saturday morning. We caught fish up till about noon then the water really started coming up. In the course of about 6 hrs, the water came up close to 8 feet. This is Whitaker falls Sunday morning. The water had come down about 4 feet by then.

That’s normally about a 6-7 foot water fall.

Had to do a powerstroke rescue. Buddy broke down twice coming down in his 7.3 psd. I’m trying to get him on here for trouble shooting help. It sounds to me like it was running on 7 cylinders. When we got to him.

So trip report final. Leg from the river to Fairmont was good but rainy. Never downshifted on 33 through to 79. One downshift on 79 when I got pinned behind a slow truck for passing speed.

Made it home the last leg. Truck runs great coming through the mountains. Only 4 downshifts coming across 68. Topped all the mountains at 60 or better. Most were 65 or better. EGTs are completely manageable. Water temps are still an issue. On the long hard pulls when I downshift, water temps really climb when in 4th. EGTs settle in around 900-950 at 65 on the worst pulls. Typically see 17-18 psi. 2500 rpm. I thought it was suppose to drop water temp too to increase RPM. Running hotter EGT but lower rpm seems to not drive up the water temp as fast.

This is a shot of me pulling South Mountain at 75 in the hammer lane

Traffic had irritated me. LOL

So lessons from this trip.

4th gear and 65 mph she’s a beast until the water temp gets out of hand. Fix that issue and I’m REALLY happy.

NEED a radio. It’s not so bad with someone to talk to but by myself, 3.5 hrs is a long trip talking to myself.

I have a water leak that is either the windshield or a cab light. Not sure which but my bet is a cab light.

The bed tie downs are awesome. Why they didn’t do that from the factory I have no idea.

New tonneau is okay. I miss some aspects of the full tilt but I thought that would be unwieldy on a 8’ bed truck. They work well on short beds.

Mirrors still suck. Got to fix that.

Need to see if there is anything I can do to make sure the seal stays in the tcase. That really sucked. I swear it was in good. The rubber was really tight on the slip yoke. Maybe now that it relaxed a bit it will be okay.

Guess that about sums it up.

Any suggestions on water temp are welcome. I may start a separate thread about it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i honestly think if you install an engage-able fan clutch that will help a lot.

mine is locked enough that it will slip on the belt if you rev it quick and i have yet to get it over 210*. i know i dont have an IC up front but i really think that is your best starting point.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i honestly think if you install an engage-able fan clutch that will help a lot.

mine is locked enough that it will slip on the belt if you rev it quick and i have yet to get it over 210*. i know i dont have an IC up front but i really think that is your best starting point.
That is why I’m watching the fan clutch upgrade thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online