Project Big Red

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm watching the fan upgrade thread too. I even wondered if putting the 6.4 fan on the idi clutch and trim it to fit in the radiator shroud would help. I also considered making some sort of air oil cooler setup just to try to pull some heat out of the cooling system. Also, where do you guys put your probe for water temp? I'm looking at getting an actual gauge before the rally.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put mine up front where the stock factory sender is. Dr side of the front of the engine. That’s the hottest place in the engine.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@hesutton

I seem to remember looking at your truck and seeing you had added extra air dams to force air through the radiator. I’m wondering if the extra heat the turbo is dumping into the system is a problem. I’m also wondering if the volume I’m running through the turbo is contributing factor.

Any thoughts or insights you have would be appreciated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would have to wonder how much it would help adding the bumper cutouts like the psd have.
I mean, that's an extra step, not like ford would do it if it were for not.
They also had somewhat of a rubber mat/dam? Between the bottom of the bumper and core to help direct air...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes bumper is cut out already.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am going to try some air direction first I think. Problem is it only does it loaded heavy and working hard so it’s going to be tough to see results. It’s a hike to get to a big enough hill to really work it.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you already changed fan clutch however is it possible you got a bad one? When I changed fan clutch it was night and day regarding cooling ability. Mine doesn't even hint at getting hot now. Sidling Hill with exhaust temps hovering around 1100 and black smoke pouring out the exhaust, coolant temp doesn't even move. Mine does not have inter cooler which may make diff???

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you already changed fan clutch however is it possible you got a bad one? When I changed fan clutch it was night and day regarding cooling ability. Mine doesn't even hint at getting hot now. Sidling Hill with exhaust temps hovering around 1100 and black smoke pouring out the exhaust, coolant temp doesn't even move. Mine does not have inter cooler which may make diff???
This is why I mentioned heat soaking, it could be with the intercooler the rad is just getting hot air and not flowing like it should.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure the intercooler in the stack isn’t helping cooling. It was a motorcraft clutch from rock auto. I suppose it could be bad. I swear I’ve never heard it kick in and change pitch.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I mentioned heat soaking, it could be with the intercooler the rad is just getting hot air and not flowing like it should.
To me if the rad was heat soaking it wouldn’t cool off as fast as it does. Within seconds of lifting off, it starts to drop. To me that says water flow problem. I don’t know. I don’t understand why higher rpm and lower EGTs is giving me higher water temps. That seems contrary to everything I’ve read.