New to me f350 what to do

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a pair of 850 cca batteries that are fresh and charged, you don't need more battery. Military terminals are good, but do you have good lugs crimped on the cables? Are the battery cables in good shape? Did you remove the grounds and clean the connections?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also, is it cranking over fast? Or lugging? If it's cranking fast, then your batteries/cables are fine and you have something else going on.

Hamweld

Reaction score
Put the new battery in there with an old one so now I have a new battery divers side then an old one passenger side both 750 cca. I tried it 10 seconds at a time with about 30 seconds rest. I have bypassed the lift pump and tank I’m getting fuel out it’s leaking out of one of the return lines. What do I check next?

Hamweld

Reaction score
The terminals are soldered on took them all off and cleaned them then soldered new lugs on the battery end. She cranks over good now I suppose if I had 2 850s she would crank real strong but that’s not an option right now, I’m trying to get it started and running before I really start throwing money at it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, you typically never want to mix old batteries with new ones. They can damage the new batteries.

Hamweld

Reaction score
I’ll take the old battery out and run the new one. How does a feller check the injection pump crack the lines running to the injectors?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the FSS first. Turn the key on and disconnect and reconnect the wire on the top of injection while listening for the click.

If you don't hear it, check for voltage on the wire.

James

Hamweld

Reaction score
Checked the FSS it works, cracked a line at an injector got fuel there. The line running from the filter to the IP is leaking took it off to inspect. Can the rubber compression seals be replaced? Should I consider a compression test next?

danda

Reaction score
yes, those rubber seals can be replaced. do a search for "olives" here on the forum. They can be hard to get out of the hardline though.... I burned mine out with a torch, and picked out crusty remnants.

That said, if you are getting fuel at an injector, you should be close to getting it started. I wouldn't mess with fuel olives until you verify it runs, unless it is a real gusher. Have you tried cracking all the injectors and cranking until fuel comes out of each of them? With mine, I can normally get it bled enough to start just by cracking 4 injectors, crank till fuel, re-tighten, crank and.... vroom!

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is cranking good(that is subject to these trucks as they actually have to turn over strangely fast) I would put the know good battery on the passenger side and hook a running truck or jump box to it and give the truck a shot of either (assuming you have glow plugs disconnected) and try to start it with real voltage going to the starter. With either it should start or try to start even if you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't try to start then you have another problem that needs to be diagnosed.

Hamweld

Reaction score
If the truck is cranking good(that is subject to these trucks as they actually have to turn over strangely fast) I would put the know good battery on the passenger side and hook a running truck or jump box to it and give the truck a shot of either (assuming you have glow plugs disconnected) and try to start it with real voltage going to the starter. With either it should start or try to start even if you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't try to start then you have another problem that needs to be diagnosed.
Good idea I’ll try that it turns over but definitely not fast. I shot some ether down her throat hole last night but it didn’t even hiccup which I thought was strange but I’m learning as I go on this project!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If the starter isn't turning the engine over fast enough, ether may not help or even do anything at all.

Hamweld

Reaction score
Still nothing, here’s what I have 750 cca brand new battery then I hooked up the family car which has a 750 cca battery via jumper cables. I tried posting a video but it won’t load. Bled the fuel at the filter housing schrader valve bunch of air bled out it now will stumble a bit and tease me like it’s going to start then it will just go back to normal no stumble. Ideas ?you all have been really helpful so far and I thank you!!

Hamweld

Reaction score
Another thing that seems strange is that when it’s cranking over vapor is coming out out of the intake could this lead to my problem?