Cheap way to Intercool?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IAT depends on compressor efficiency. Around 15 psig with a compressor that's 70% efficient you'll see a little over 200 or so compressor outlet temps. That's why anything more then 15 or so needs an intercooler, as the temps get incrementally worse the higher you go. FWIW the older turbos that were common on these aren't as efficient as modern designs. So a modern turbo might boost higher at cooler temps. You push higher boost levels with a factory turbo and efficiency goes off the map heating the air much more in the process.
Having my setup before and after the charge air cooling the difference was huge. And not all top-end like I would have thought. I had increased power all over, the most noticeable was actually down low, around 1000rpm to 1800. I can't explain it but it gained so much torque from that darn CAC. And I've read others say the same thing. Obviously WOT got a nice bump as well. So it was kinda like better everywhere but really noticeable low and high rpm.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock IP is maxed out and if I stand up on the skinny pedal going up the mountain pass towing I'll get it up to 1200*. It evens out at 1150*-ish then creeps up to 1200*.
I actually don't need to shift or change speed except that my coolant can get too hot. As my signature says I have pretty marginal e-fans so I'm not helping myself there.

Outside of that I can't get the EGTs over 1200* unless I abuse it by lugging the engine. 13-14psi cooled boost without a load is fun. :Thumbs Up

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Mine gets to 1150 pretty darn quick, but my up pipe slip fit is leaking, and I think my radiator is slightly restricted. Between the two it's not running efficiently, but I have one of IDIot 's custom up pipes, I'll put it on when it stops raining.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Having my setup before and after the charge air cooling the difference was huge. And not all top-end like I would have thought. I had increased power all over, the most noticeable was actually down low, around 1000rpm to 1800. I can't explain it but it gained so much torque from that darn CAC. And I've read others say the same thing. Obviously WOT got a nice bump as well. So it was kinda like better everywhere but really noticeable low and high rpm.
This is exactly what I noticed as well. Surprised, especially since this is a non wastegated setup and was expecting there to be added lag because the 6.0 intercooler is "too big" and 3 inch intercooler tubing is "too big".

As far as egt after adding the intercooler, it wasn't ever a problem, and ended up taking the gauges out. Coolant temp shows up before egt

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt. Having an intercooler will always be a benefit, it's just how much that remains to be determined. I'm glad you've seen what you did in the before/after. And it's interesting that you notice most of it down low, where the factory turbos would likely be inefficient as well.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I noticed as well. Surprised, especially since this is a non wastegated setup and was expecting there to be added lag because the 6.0 intercooler is "too big" and 3 inch intercooler tubing is "too big".

As far as egt after adding the intercooler, it wasn't ever a problem, and ended up taking the gauges out. Coolant temp shows up before egt
This is probably controversial, but I don't think you can go too big on intercooler piping, within reason of course. The amount of CFM an engine consumes makes the volume difference between 2.5" and 3" pipe a moot point. Your talking tenths of a cubic foot difference whereas the engine is consuming 10+ times that amount per second. I'd be surprised if one would experience lag, much less measure it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably controversial, but I don't think you can go too big on intercooler piping, within reason of course. The amount of CFM an engine consumes makes the volume difference between 2.5" and 3" pipe a moot point. Your talking tenths of a cubic foot difference whereas the engine is consuming 10+ times that amount per second. I'd be surprised if one would experience lag, much less measure it.
My first-hand experience with intercooling is limited to a diesel ranger but I agree with this. The difference in power was noticeable, with no additional fuel needed. Lag? I couldn't tell if there was any more after all the added piping. Some day when I get my 6.9 intercooled I'll know for sure.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The only experience I have with intercooling was with my vw tdi, upgrading pipes on it and such. It was such a low cfm engine that putting large pipes on it did actually create boost lag, and it was a variable turbo.
On another note, goossing it you could easily get 170°f intake temps, and the charge air cooler didn't even have a fan on it, it was a road draft behind the bumper off to the side.

Makes me think of that water to air cooler again for the idi's....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online