My 1985 F350 Lifted CC diesel dually build

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It turns out it was a 5.8 gasser not a 7.3 diesel. They had a glitch in their system. I’m not sure what pics are broken, they are all showing up on my phone. There is a 4x4 zf5 for an idi on Craigslist about two hours away but they are asking $1,500 and that seems a bit steep to me as I’d have to take their word on it being good.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that just the transmission? Some people buy whole trucks for that....

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! 2wd diesel and both 2wd and 4x4 gas zf5s are about 6-800. He’s asking twice that but there is no other diesel 4x4 zf5 to compare with. I’d be willing to drive to Tennessee or Kentucky or even Florida to find one at the right price!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked on the Facebook groups? I know not everyone is on Facebook but I see them pop up from time to time. If you're willing to drive a little you might get a deal.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just looked on Facebook and there's a few ZF5s for 800 in PA but no screaming deals. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the build thread still up. If you are still hosting the pics on photobucket I can fix the broken pic links in it.
No it’s gone. I have all the photos saved on a Zip drive also. When I finally get a computer at home again I will redo the thread and put it in the tech articles. Just gotta get a computer I like. Been two years now with out one.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally some progress again! Today I picked up a 1987 F250 4x4 reg cab 6.5’ bed frame with a running 6.9, T19 and transfer case! I’m thinking of splicing the from the the 4x4 frame to the 2wd frame with a Z or Sideways W style template for maximum splicing surface and then reinforce on both sides with 1/2” steel. I am possibly getting a DRW bed of a ‘91 F350 next week. So my next big step is to clear up both frames!

You must be registered for see images attach

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally some progress again! Today I picked up a 1987 F250 4x4 reg cab 6.5’ bed frame with a running 6.9, T19 and transfer case! I’m thinking of splicing the from the the 4x4 frame to the 2wd frame with a Z or Sideways W style template for maximum splicing surface and then reinforce on both sides with 1/2” steel. I am possibly getting a DRW bed of a ‘91 F350 next week. So my next big step is to clear up both frames!

You must be registered for see images attach
That's one way to get some parts. :Thumbs Up

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over on FTE I found I just need to bolt all the 4x4 brackets to my 2wd frame - some cutting but no welding needed!
(Dry weather and time still needed though lol!). I ordered my 4” rough country lift kit and it should be in later this week. I know for the overload springs I will have to get longer U bolts for the rear axle. I am confused on what I need though. The 10.25 axle off the 2wd pickup had 14” round U bolts, no block, and nuts at the top. The cab and chassis axle has 18” square U bolts, block, and nuts on bottom. The rough country rear block stacks with the factory block but do I need round or square u bolts?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do I need round or square u bolts?

You need whichever setup is on the axle you are using because they use different brackets where the nuts go. I prefer round u-bolts with the plate and nuts on top of the springs, but most of the time the square u bolts with the saddle and nuts under the axle is fine.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, just buy lift springs for the rear. Stacking blocks is asking for trouble. It will also increase axle wrap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online