My 1985 F350 Lifted CC diesel dually build

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first thread on Oil burners. Let me start off by saying I don’t need a DRW, I just have always loved the look of them. I know the extra cost and pain they are but it is worth it to me. Now that we got that out of the way, onward! Earlier this year I picked up a 1985 crew cab dually 6.9. The engine does not currently run, I’ve not had a chance to see what going on but it is missing the radiator, oil filter assembly etc. It had no transmission, rear axle, bed, or rear bumper. I have since picked up a bumper and a 4.10 dually axle from a ‘89 pickup. Earlier this week I picked up a ‘91 F350 4x4 cab and chassis DRW for parts.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The long term goal for this truck is to build the 6.9, do a custom 8” lift so I can run 38” military tires, and paint/ restore the body. We just found out we are expecting baby number two and my current truck only seats three so the dead line for getting the truck going just got bumped up. The new plan is to get it going by the end of next July. In order to do that, I’m going to try to get the 7.3 from the ‘91 going, sell the auto and transfer case and get me a manual and transfer case, do only a 4” lift, run 35” mudders, and try to adapt the flat bed. For the 4x4 conversion. I am going to use 4” rear blocks so I can keep my overloads, and will use a RSK up front. In not sure what leafs up front yet as from what I can tell, they go from stock to 4” lift and from what I understand, I only need 2” lift springs unless the the 4” would make it level.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that black one is 4” lift w/ 35”s and that bottom one is 8” with the military 38”s is like to use someday.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The donar truck has a good bit of rust but lots of good parts! I’m not sure if I can salvage the flat bed or adapt it to a pickup frame but we shall see! The rear prize of this truck is the Dana 60 kingpin with dually hubs and 4.10 gears!

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also like the mirrors and Lund visor as a bonus!

fyrfghter

Reaction score
That black truck has more like 8-10 inches of lift and I would bet the blue truck is on 40+ inch tires.

Here is a 5 inch lift with 35’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fyrfghter

Reaction score
That black truck has more like 8-10 inches of lift and I would bet the blue truck is on 40+ inch tires.

Here is a 5 inch lift with 35’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A truck lifted that high for family transportation? A little ridiculous don't you think? Trucks lifted that high may look "tough" but are not practical at all. It's very difficult to even load the bed to haul something. If I were you and did not want to hear a bunch of complaining everytime the wife had to get in to go to town, I would be more conservative and at least have something where you could use a running board to help get into the truck.

I get this movie going in my head with her having the baby lying in the back seat with the door open trying to change a diaper, being several feet off the ground while doing it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Welcome. I can that your 6.9 is missing the fuel filter assembly in your picture. you said "oil filter". The rear ends aren't a bolt in swap between the C&C and the pickups. I'm not sure about the front ends. I have a 7.3 in my 85. I just used wiring harness from the 6.9, the 6.9 glow plugs, and a push button to run them. Everythinng else is plug and play. Personally, I don't care for the dually rims with the locating pins, but that's just because you have to line them up exactly. Otherwise, I think you're off to a good start. I also like the CC duallys too and want to have one of my own some day.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a car but we live at the bottom of a hill on a long dirt road and when ever it rains or snows, my truck is the only one that can get out. My dodge has a 4” lift and 35”s. (33”s in the pic because I got a good deal on them!). When the post online said that that black one was 4”/35”s, I just figured mine was really worn out! It does what I need but a little more ground clearance would be nice. I frequently have issues with the rubber vacuum tubes on the axle catching on stuff and disconnecting. I like how this truck will just have manual locking hubs! That blue one has Michelin XMLs which are the tires I’m eventually wanting to use. They come in 38”s and 44”s. I have a DRW pickup rear end but will be using the blocks and mounts off the parts truck. Good to know the fuel filter has easy access! This is my first diesel and I haven’t had a chance to get underneath and get a good look yet!

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use the blocks off my C&C for my build, I read somewhere that they were the wrong width so I ordered 4" superduty readylift blocks and it pretty much leveled it with a rsk on the front.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a side pic of the truck so I can see how much space you have above your wheels? I drive on some pretty rough terrain that will put any suspension through a workout and don’t want the tires scraping on the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online