My 1985 F350 Lifted CC diesel dually build

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eventually I will get springs for the rear and go with a bigger lift. I just need to get it on the road for now. The axle I am using has the nuts on top. Is there anyplace y’all recommend or stay away from when getting them or does it not really make a difference.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The u-bolts? I would see if there's a spring shop nearby or if there's a place that works on big trucks and ask who makes them locally.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a bed up in Charlotte last night after work. The fiberglass fenders will need to be replaced eventually but with a little bit of silicone, they are still usable for now. All the lights and tailgate need replacing but I only paid $150 for it and it is solid and other than a bit of minor surface rust, rust free! I was looking at the the springs of his ‘86 and ‘91 2wd F350 DRW pickups and they are different than mine. Did different trucks have different GVWRs?

You must be registered for see images attach

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cab and chassis has 12 main and 4 helper leafs, my DRW pickup axle has 5 main and 9 helper leafs, both their DRW pickup axles have 5 main and 1 helper

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Cab and Chassis truck the frames will be different then a regular Dually. Cab and chassis trucks have a narrower frame and rear differential. I have both styles here. The Cab and Chassis springs are definitely different with a much taller/ beefier spring packs. Lengthwise I don't know.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lift kit came int yesterday! I also went ahead and got a 2 ton hoist and rotary hammer from Harbor Freight. I’m working 6 days a week and Sunday I need to get my wife’s car on the road so it may be a little while until I have time but next I plan on removing the rear spring mounts and figuring out what size bolts and U bolts I need to install the rear axle.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that Summer is over I can get back to work on this! I got the rear end installed Saturday! For now I just used the blocks without the overloads and hopefully next year I’ll go with full lift springs. I have to work next weekend but the following Saturday I’m going to try to get a bobcat and some extra hands here to drop the 2wd front suspension and install the 4x4 axle along with the motor and transmission.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Dana 60 and radiator pulled this weekend! I’m wondering if I should consider reusing the rotors as they have virtually no wear on them but are pretty rusty?

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leak in the radiator is just transmission fluid which I will not have to worry about as I am going with a manual!

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also got a 12 inch LUK clutch upgrade kit and everything for brakes: booster, master cylinder, hard and flex lines drums, cylinders, shoes and hardware, calipers, and pads. The rotors are back ordered but if I decide to reuse the ones on there I’ll cancel them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could try to clean the rotors up with a wire wheel on a drill. If that doesn't do the trick, you could have them turned.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll try the wire wheel and hope that does the trick as I really don’t have the extra time to get them off! I didn’t notice any pitting so I think it should be good.