LUK 07-225

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can also buy an "universal" GPS speedometer without an odometer on Ebay. That's what I'm using in mine. The ones for OBD2 are usually cheaper, but they won't work with our trucks. The one that I bought was $26.97 and sold by "eeekitonline". It is poweered by a USB port so if that's an issue, you could buy a different one or buy an adapter for your cigarette lighter that has a USB port.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one that I bought was $26.97 and sold by "eeekitonline". It is poweered by a USB port so if that's an issue, you could buy a different one or buy an adapter for your cigarette lighter that has a USB port.

Sounds a lot like the one I ran on my suburban for a while. I didn't have any problem with mine but I think it was off by a couple mph. Certainly close enough. I never got pulled over. Well worth the 25ish I paid.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to pull the tailshaft housing and put a gear on these? I don't know much about these ZF transmissions. I'm used to older GM stuff...

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pull the tailshaft everything else falls out its pressed into that side of the case. I only know from looking up that when I was seeing how much tailshafts were for it to replace my wide ratio S-47 that was in it.

Oh well, my speedo bounced a lot anyways gear was prob worn or something. I don't mind having a digital speedo, and I doubt I'll ever sell the truck and my app is my odometer so I guess this still has a happyish chance for an ending lol..

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that.

Did your truck have ABS? If so it should be possible to pick a signal off the rear axle. Someone put an OBS speedo in a bricknose by doing that once.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a tone ring and a vss signal at the rear diff, someone more knowledgeable than me with electronics could probably help with using that signal for what you need

Cough cough @ifrythings

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool this all may be attempted down the road. As it stands I ordered a 50$ gps driven speedo that wraps around the steering column like a tach on non tach vehicles.

More than anything I'm kinda excited to have a usable first gear. 5.72:1 and 4.10 axles is useless when I'm towing I cant go fast enough to shift into second without waiting for rpms to drop to 650.

Also in other interesting and kinda odd news my buddy paul told me my space ring that is supposed to go in front of my smf flywheel was BEHIND my factory dmf flywheel... which is wrong correct? He called luk to verify it is supposed to go on the clutch side of the new smf flywheel and then the 8 flywheel bolts and they said that's correct but the spacer definitely should not have been where it was..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the signal things.. but... I believe it's the same signal the PSOM Uses, so you can drop an OBS Speedometer/Odometer into a brick dash, and wire it up and it will work. Like Wes said, I remember seeing someone do that here. It may have been @IDIoit.....

Here is the brake down on brick and OBS's.....

Brick Nose:

Speedometer was cable driven from the transmission (2wd) / Transfer Case (4x4) for all transmissions. However, if the truck was E4OD Equipped, there was an "adapter" that plugged into the transmission/transfer case that was only a few inches long, this adapter drove a VSS on the cable, that reported speed to the TECA (Transmission Electronic Control Assembly) for control of the transmission. The speedometer cable then plugged into this adapter/VSS and ran to the cluster to drive the speedometer.

There is also a VSS in the rear differential. This signal is used to control the RABS on the bricknose trucks.

OBS:

There is only a VSS in the rear differential. This signal is used to run the PSOM (Speedometer) the TECA on E4OD Trucks and the RABS.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the OBS speedo would be the simplest option then, already have the signal wire under the cab going into the rabs module

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a obs speedo into a bricknose, very easy to wire up
You must be registered for see images attach

I've been looking for the thread on it. For some reason I thought it was on FTE...

Km/h... I looked at that like what IDI needs a speedo that goes to 180 LOL

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So... it does have this on the tailshaft, are we sure that's not a place for the cable? Should I take that off and see what's inside there or no? Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online