LUK 07-225

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It's those two red areas that are broken over 50% of the metal there is gone where the bolt would hold the trans tight to the crossmember.

I don't know why we can't get his phone to send me the picture at the moment, I'll get it up here when his service decides to actually send it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, a good welder should be able to fix that for you. Pretty common for those ears to be broken off, I’ve built a mount off of the four smaller bolts to the side of the two bolts that are broken off. A good welder should be able to either repair the aluminum or build a new mount that uses a different set of bolts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I guess I didn't understand your description. Yes. Another vote on the aluminum welder.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you weld something like that with so much material missing? I really wish I had that picture now, but theres just half the bolt hole gone. All I've ever done is harbor freight wire weld small things together so I have no idea how this works.

Also my throw out bearing was disintegrated and my flywheel all but fell apart in a pile. Springs were still in it but all worn away on both ends.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's just sounding like I'm going to need another zf5. I don't know of anyone off hand who welds in my area.

Worst part is theres a nice tig welder in my garage. My grandfather welded his whole life. I don't even know how to turn it on.

And for the first time ever when I searched near me 100 mile radius on fb and craigslist there are 0 2wd zf5s.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could just build some brackets off of the side bolts and build a mount off that, you may be able to pull the back cover off and send it to a welder to be repaired

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at muffler shops 95% of the shops that do full exhausts have the equipment to fill and drill the holes but I like what Wes had to say about a bracket that bolts in to some of the other holes and still retains the existing mounting holes

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brian I bet it started looking like this. The mount rusts and pushes up. See how the webs are deformed. This one probably could have been fixed but towcat fixed me up with a good used one.

[emoji22]

Trans shop charged me 400$ for complete tear down and reassemble plus parts. It turned out it was a good thing I had it apart. Front seal was roached and I didn’t even know it. I think the total bill ended up being $600 with the rebuild kit but it’s as smooth as a ZF gets now. The hardest part was finding a shop that did manual transmissions. If you get desperate let me know and I’ll send you the name of the shop. It’s just west of Frederick MD.

It is a complete tear down to change the housing because the trans is assembled from the rear case half. Then the front half drops on over it all.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really get desperate you can come help me do my 4wd conversion, then I'll have a spare 2wd ZF5!

I feel your pain though. I am lucky enough to have several people at work who can weld just about anything. Saved my butt a few times.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could just build some brackets off of the side bolts and build a mount off that, you may be able to pull the back cover off and send it to a welder to be repaired

You dont happen to have a picture of how you did this off of the other holes do you?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Brian, Drake Kaiser or John Clougston on FB may have a transmission. They are about 3 hrs east. Drake is in Chambersburg, John is in Dover (last I had seen).

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont happen to have a picture of how you did this off of the other holes do you?

I don’t, I do remember I used some Chevy engine mounts on each side of the trans, they are the older donut style. I think I had four bolts on the driver side and three on the left. I mimicked the original mounting holes by cutting slots in the crossmember for each side so there’s some adjustability

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't I just get someone to weld the smaller mounting bar that those two bolt holes used to mate with directly to that piece that sits on the cross member and bolts to it separately?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, but I could get the donut mounts for cheaper than a new trans mount and it kept the brackets simpler

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7