LUK 07-225

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats glad it worked out. My car was noisy when I put a SMF in, I wouldn't stress it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good fuel system tuneup can do wonders for a noisy SMF. Honestly I don’t hear any noise from mine unless I lug it in low gear. We’ve seen some that make noise just at idle.

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. It’s amazing what a fresh set of bushings and some moly grease will do for the pedal box. If the holes aren’t wallered out it’s not too bad a job. Pedal box probably has to come out but I’m not 100% on that.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good fuel system tuneup can do wonders for a noisy SMF. Honestly I don’t hear any noise from mine unless I lug it in low gear. We’ve seen some that make noise just at idle.

That's more how mine is. Sub 900 rpm in first or second it will grow but outside of that its quiet.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. It’s amazing what a fresh set of bushings and some moly grease will do for the pedal box. If the holes aren’t wallered out it’s not too bad a job. Pedal box probably has to come out but I’m not 100% on that.

Mine has the noise at idle. I turned up the idle till it stopped and just left it there. Something like 800rpm but my tach is goofy.

After a couple years I went to turn it down, realized quickly why it was high and turned it right back up. :)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So all was well until I revved up to 3k to get up a big hill on the way home and I started having a ticking noise with rpm no matter of clutch in or out. I have a video of the noise.

I took off the inspection plate and..
You must be registered for see images attach

It definitely was rubbing.

It isn't making the noise now but I'm still a bit nervous. Anything I should do? Everything feels tight in there.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The smf clutches will rub there, Im surprised it didnt do it from the start. Just leave the cover off, or use some longer bolts with washers to space it out

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that on the flywheel side? It just seems odd to me it hadn't done it until now after really being revved up once. I'm just worried something got loose somehow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The solution would be to run it without the inspection cover for a while. See if it still makes noise. Try to reproduce the situation as best you can. I'm sure that nothing came loose if you tightened everything tight enough during the install. If you think that's bad, try accidentally running the inspection cover over and then trying to get it into a shape that still lets you use it without rubbing.-cuss

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just drove it over to sheetz and no noise. It made me more nervous because when I shut it off in neutral without the clutch pushed down I thought I heard something rattle like my old dmf did but I think it's just the gear rollover noise I heard. It drove perfectly without the cover on no weird wobbling or anything and the evidence is on the inspection plate. I dunno if it's the nerves of this having just happened or what but it still is bothering me lol..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just run it like that for a week or two, even a month or two. Then put the cover back on. Before you put it back on, bend it forward slightly so that it won't rub on the flywheel. After a certain amount of time with it not making any noise, your confidence level will start to rise.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove it like I stole it on the way home from sheetz just now and didnt notice anything odd.. I'd never think twice if this hadn't happened. I guess that should be enough to make me feel better about it.. I tapped 3300 rpms a few times and no I'll effects

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One thing you may want to do before installing the inspection cover. In the installed position, there's a horizontal lip. I've seen some of these that have rubbed on oil pans. You may want to trim this off if you're going to bend the cover forward to clear the flywheel.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gear roll over video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The clanking noise I heard:

And a video of everything running without the inspection plate on after the noise:

Everything look normal in that last video of everything spinning?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't looked at a lot of spinning flywheel/clutch combos, but it looked good to me. Now that squealing belt on the other hand...

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha just ignore that :peelout

Just gotta switch pulleys on my 3g alternator swap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk