LUK 07-225

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Either 95 is an oddball year for the zf or someone modified this one I bought.. I think?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that picture I put of the build date on the tag says 2-7-95 .. so .. I'm lost lol...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But that picture I put of the build date on the tag says 2-7-95 .. so .. I'm lost lol...
If it was me, I wouldn't question it. I'd just be glad that there's a gear in there. The bolt with a washer inside the hole wasn't something that the factory would have done. It could be that somebody else had it modified in the past.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the only thing I'm wondering is will that gear agree with the end of the cable coming out of my truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If not, they're fairly easy to change. If your speedometer is way off, you can buy the cable end gears for cheaper and they're even easier to change.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have isspro electronic gauges. i used the rear diff as a sensor.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped the new trans off tonight after cleaning it up and changing the fluid. I pre over filled it with about 5-5.5 quarts which should hopefully help my gear roll over noise. Hopefully it's back together this weekend but I'm in no hurry I don't drive it in winter almost at all anyways.

I'd say my old trans has seen some better days in the tailshaft area...

I was kinda sad to see my old trans was also a 4.14:1 first gear ratio. I was really hoping to be able to pull out in first gear thinking I was going from 5.72:1 to the 4.14:1 but not the case..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The yellow gear is pretty normal in a tcase. It’s probably the same one there. Depending on your gears you should be okay. With stockish height tires and 3.55 gears mine is pretty much dead on.

Look familiar?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the 07225 kit installed since the stock pressure plate and DMF were toast... my ZF5 has the "correct" Mercon VI synthetic ATF at the stock level, and when the trans is fully warm the low-rpm gear rattle in 1st and 2nd is pretty impressive.

But I'd be careful overfilling it, especially with a large amount. Any leakage past the input shaft seal may end up all over your new clutch...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had the 07225 kit installed since the stock pressure plate and DMF were toast... my ZF5 has the "correct" Mercon VI synthetic ATF at the stock level, and when the trans is fully warm the low-rpm gear rattle in 1st and 2nd is pretty impressive.

But I'd be careful overfilling it, especially with a large amount. Any leakage past the input shaft seal may end up all over your new clutch...
A good fuel system goes a long way to keeping the noise down. Mine makes no real noticeable at idle clutch out. Any of them will growl at low rpm lugging around.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything appears it's going to work out with the trans but the carrier bearing I bought for the driveshaft is too small and wont come close to fitting on the shaft.

The old one is obliterated but I jammed a socket in it and then measured the width of the socket and its exactly 1 9/16 of an inch. The carrier I got for it I can't find any mention of a size on the packaging and now I have no clue what to get.

Of course none of them online list the widths either.

*edit*

I think this is the one I need here based on the width of the shaft [40mm = 1 9/16] but I'm not sure about the mounting width and of course I'm not at the truck anymore..

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p.../3276791-P?searchTerm=center+support+bearings

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I had to replace the carrier bearing on my 85 last fall, I went with the local Car Quest. They told me that there was two different sizes listed. I bought both of them and just returned the one that didn't fit. I think that I used the larger one.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update on this, everything is hooked back up from this fiasco and the truck runs and moves. I'd say drives, but it's parked in at my buddies garage temporarily this week.

Flywheel conversion is done and short of my clutch pedal assembly still needing replaced causing the clutch to start lightly engaging an inch and a half off of the floor things seem to work ok so far. I'll feel better once I've drove it with the new trans and conversion parts in it, but I guess it's a good sign it idles and moves around the driveway with no crazy noises. New carrier bearing is in, all new u-joints, and we had to replace a brake line that may have gotten bumped during the process.

Now it's time to buy two new batteries because these ones don't like winter finally, and take it for a road test later this weekend that involves more than first gear and reverse.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I drove the truck for the first time tonight, and... it's perfect. I absolutely cannot believe how easy it is to push the clutch down now. It's got to be 25% of the effort it used to take to push the clutch now. I am not good at driving it yet.

The gear rollover noise is scary the first few times you hear it. Mine really doesn't do it when I lug around in 3rd or higher, but first or second if you aren't over 1k rpms it's pretty loud. If you are accelerating through it pulling out of an intersection you don't even hear it though, so that's cool.

The new carrier bearing has quieted the truck a good bit also, new clutch itself is super "grabby" and I can finally let the clutch out at intersections and idle without keeping my high idle switch on (to not hear my old dmf chattering and smacking around down there).

Probably the only bad thing I still have going on is my clutch pedal itself still only has about 1" of slack before it starts to grab from the floor. The petal assembly is worn some itself not the bushing on the clutch pivot rod / master cylinder. As much as I'd like to do the heim joint mod, I think just swapping out for a good known pedal assembly would be more beneficial to me. The only way I would see the heim joint mod helping me would be if there was a way you could make things threaded so you could make the rod going into the master cylinder a little longer so I could get a little more "throw" when pushing the pedal down.

That being said, with how easy the pedal is to push now and that I do have some free movement still before the clutch engages, I don't really see it being an issue I gotta look at immediately. But I do have a good new pedal assembly so I'll likely still swap it sometime this spring.

More than anything, I just gotta learn how to drive the truck again. It's embarrassing but I really can't shift it good anymore because it actually works how it is supposed to now.